• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 157
  Print  
Author Topic: dissertators and thesis writers support thread  (Read 749465 times)
promovenda
Just thrilled to be a

Lost in the library

« Reply #1935 on: April 11, 2012, 4:23:47 AM »

My advice is just to keep on editing. Show it to a peer and get some feedback. Rewrite. Take a weekend off if you need to, without even thinking about it. But then get back to it.

This. I feel for you, zombie_librarian. Similar things have happened to me, and I had to take more off than a weekend. But somehow, emotionally, you have to get back to the task and try again.

Congrats, zengazenga and saidan!!!!!

My own update: My adviser has been sick and hasn't even gotten to my dissertation. Arghh!!! Hopefully I'll hear some feedback next month. I'm using the time to try to chill as much as possible about it, and am keeping busy with other things.

"You're a wonderful bartender, Promovenda.  The hamster bestows one of his special nibbles on your ear."
lohai0
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1936 on: April 11, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »

I filed my proposal yesterday. Now I am on to my next mission-fending off chair's terrible idea for how the last of it should be structured.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1937 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »

I'm submitting the dissertation tomorrow morning. Days have blurred together. It's all technical stuff now. I had this nasty spot on MS word that would not budge. I moved the margins and all of a sudden, there were no indentations anywhere. This was especially a pain since so much stuff is translated from another language and had been moved right a bit.

That sucked up 3 hours. Now on to the next ball of fun. I'm so sick of this.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1938 on: April 12, 2012, 9:16:07 AM »

Well then, it has been submitted. Wow. What to do with myself?

Oh, that's right. I teach in an hour

zengazenga
Getting a Ph.D. in being awesome.

But my diploma will say "Ph.D. in social science"

« Reply #1939 on: April 12, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

Congrats WCG!

For me it didn't feel like it, but submitting to committee is huge even if you still have to go through the defense and revise.

Almost there!
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1940 on: April 12, 2012, 9:13:52 PM »

Well then, it has been submitted. Wow. What to do with myself?

Oh, that's right. I teach in an hour

A VERY hearty congrats. Sleep well tonight, with no visions of editing dancing in your head.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
dr_prephd

« Reply #1941 on: April 12, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »

Yay, WCG! Unicorn stickers all around!

The manic formatting time-suck at the end is hideous, isn't it? No matter how much you do ahead of time, there's always something (for me, it was the TOC) that won't do the right thing, no matter how hard you try.

westcoastgirl

« Reply #1942 on: April 14, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »

Thanks, all!
I'm still in shock. It feels weird to not have the writing process as part of my identity. There's still work to be had, though. And teaching is not quite over.

westcoastgirl

« Reply #1943 on: April 14, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »

How do you handle something like this?

About a year ago, my adviser told me to "Get something on paper, it doesn't have to be perfect, just send it to me. It's a first draft; we just need something to work with." He even indicated he'd look at detailed outlines.

I turned in the first two chapters, and while they weren't even close to perfect, they fit with this advice very well and the second drafts are going well.

The third chapter, however, was returned to me with comments to the effect that "This is not dissertation level work. Why did you bother to send it to me?" Well, I sent it because you told me to write something! It reflected the feedback from the other drafts (I tried to, at least). It addressed the things that you commented on as weaknesses in the previous drafts (I think). I don't think it was significantly more horrible than the other drafts...It was definitely "something to work with."

I guess I'm just frustrated. If he wanted perfect chapters, why say to send in a working draft? Argh! I feel very shut down, which I probably shouldn't. I imagine he thought this would be motivating, but it really wasn't. Here's my real frustration: if I could write a perfect chapter, I wouldn't need feedback, right?

How do you bounce back from this? I don't even want to look at that chapter again.

I'm so sorry and I know how you feel. I had a problem with chapter 2 (what was chapter 3). The content was ok (according to advisor) but it was completely lacking structure and all over the place. Looking back, I agree. At the time, I felt paralyzed and it did take me quite a while to work back through it. You can do it, though.

baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1944 on: April 18, 2012, 5:43:36 PM »

I just sent the abstract to be translated into French ( yes, it is a requirement of my program to have an English Abstract... and a French.)

One tiny baby step towards completion.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
lohai0

« Reply #1945 on: April 18, 2012, 5:52:46 PM »

I am now ABD. While I'm sitting in this long dull class I think I will outline chapter 4.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1946 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »

Yuck. I'm already not happy that it's on the department website. That reminds me, I'm at the library today to get work done. And here I am. Congrats lohai! Being admitted to the candidacy was a huge milestone for me. I hung the letter on my fridge!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:08:32 AM by westcoastgirl » Logged

egilson

« Reply #1947 on: April 21, 2012, 4:38:37 PM »

I turned in my final draft to my committee two weeks ago, and my defense is next week. Right now, I'm working my way through the manuscript after a few weeks off, fixing typos and clunky grammar and making some revisions for sense and consistency. None of those is particularly bad so far, but I figure the more I fix now, the less I have to worry about later, which may be especially critical if my committee wants extensive revision.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1948 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:31 PM »

I turned in my final draft to my committee two weeks ago, and my defense is next week. Right now, I'm working my way through the manuscript after a few weeks off, fixing typos and clunky grammar and making some revisions for sense and consistency. None of those is particularly bad so far, but I figure the more I fix now, the less I have to worry about later, which may be especially critical if my committee wants extensive revision.
This is sort of where I'm at, except that I've now had ample time to *enjoy* reading. I've incorporated so much stuff into my submitted version that I'm beginning to feel like I'm asking for trouble. Tonight, I opened the damn thing on chalk. Errors abound. So much fun.

lirael

« Reply #1949 on: April 26, 2012, 9:35:12 AM »

I defend my MS thesis tomorrow morning, and I did a rehearsal with my advisor yesterday.  I think it just made me more nervous.

He mentioned that my other committee member - my program uses a committee of two for MS theses - is in a department that doesn't award master's degrees, only PhDs.  So the defenses that he usually attends are PhD defenses, and he might have inflated expecations for mine.  He also mentioned that he's seen the other committee member's students present before and that they're really good (suggesting that this guy has very high expectations for presentations).  Now I'm worried that the other committee member will hate my presentation.

Also, he gave me a page and a half of suggested changes for the presentation (some of which I'm already implemented).  I really, genuinely, appreciate this, and I know that I'm not being entirely reasonable here, but it's very hard not to interpret that as "OMG you hated it."
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 157
  Print  

Jump to: