• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:42:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading PDF files on a kindle  (Read 5619 times)
alpha_bet

« on: April 18, 2012, 5:19:35 PM »

As much as I loathe the idea of wasting paper printing out articles from Project Muse or Jstore just to read once, I hate even more reading articles on a computer screen at my desk, or trying to prop up a laptop in bed.

Kindle seemed like a good way to save paper and read in bed (or even just avoid carrying extra weight for long flights).

But PDF files are awful on a kindle.
Is there any way to get the text a decent size to read without having the edges of the pages cut off the screen?
dr_starbucks

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 5:28:07 PM »

It is quite cumbersome and impractical for me.  PDFs that has larger text on a single page, opposed to a double page spread, seems to be the best for me. 

But I'm interested in what tips others might have.

formerly Lukeurig
pgher

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »

I once spent a weekend trying to make this work.  I downloaded various Perl-based tools and everything.  No luck.  A big part of my problem, though, is in my field, all publications are two-column and there are lots of equations and figures and stuff, so there's poor linearity to the flow.  At some point, I found a utility that would cut a page into quarters, which sort of works because of the two-column format.  But then someone will throw in a page-wide figure, and it gets hosed up again.  I gave up.
incredible_source

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 7:06:11 PM »

The larger Kindle DX makes it reasonably easy to read .pdf files.
pigou
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 8:48:53 PM »

You might also want to consider a tablet. I read PDFs on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1'') and use RepliGo Reader to annotate them. It can reflow the text in a "reading" mode, but holding the tablet horizontally also makes it easy to read. Alternatively, double-tapping on a column will zoom in on that. I've come to like the night mode, which inverts black and white to make reading at night easier on the eyes (basically, $5 well spent). Then I use Dropsync to synchronize a folder with PDF articles between my desktop and my tablet - the native Dropbox app does not currently support 2-way sync.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: