• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:52:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Currently 40 years old is it ok if i am going back to school?  (Read 67168 times)
johnny_sunshine

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 7:52:59 AM »

HI, i am currently 40 years old. Few months ago, i got fired from my jobs. Now, i am thinking of going back to school. However, am I too old to do so? I am asking because most students will be like 20s.

Also, am i eligible for financial aid?

Yeah dude, you are too old. Nobody is getting any jobs because all these old profs think think that commas and fragments and stuff is what people need to get jobs. They all teach because they couldn't do anything else and don't have a clue what is going on in the real world. Go get a job at Walmart --- at least you won't have any student debt.

Johnny

"Neurobiology has been hugely advanced by deranged chemists and drug dealers. The motto of this class is 'Say yes to drugs.'"
rock_in_the_road

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 5:03:41 PM »

HI, i am currently 40 years old. Few months ago, i got fired from my jobs. Now, i am thinking of going back to school. However, am I too old to do so? I am asking because most students will be like 20s.

Yeah dude, you are too old. Nobody is getting any jobs because all these old profs think think that commas and fragments and stuff is what people need to get jobs. They all teach because they couldn't do anything else and don't have a clue what is going on in the real world. Go get a job at Walmart --- at least you won't have any student debt.

Johnny

That is good advice Johnny. The inefficiencies in higher education makes the cost of college courses about 5 times more than they are worth. The majority of the students today will never get a payback on their college investment.

I am right.
bash217

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 6:27:18 AM »

What is happening here?
flavorrocks1

Slowest Senior Member since 2009

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »

You have received good advice on going back to school.  You are never too old in my book. 

As for financial aid, yes you could be eligible.  Fill out the 2012/2013 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the 2011 Federal tax return.  Make sure that you print out the form once it completed and the confirmation page.  Do not panic if comes back that you are not qualifying for grants.  Contact the financial office at the college or university that you plan to attend and seek a an adjustment to the FAFSA based on unemployment and reduced 2012 income as a result.  Also ask at the unemployment office if there is a WIA program (a retraining program for unemployed)  If you are picked up for WIA, they can pay tuition, fees, books and other expenses.  Please feel free to pm me if you would like additional information on financial aid.

"If frogs couldn't hop, I'd be gone with the Schwinn."  Kermit the Frog
mended_drum
Potnia theron and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »

What is happening here?

I second this question.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
farm_boy
Professor Demeritus

recalcitrant and trollish loser

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »

I'm 52 and next week I'll start my Beginning/Intermediate Algebra class, a pre-req for College Algebra, which I have yet to pass. (though I have a PhD in Spanish).

Can an old dog learn new tricks?  I'll find out.

Screw you... You're not a troll. You're just posting pathetic jerkish, troll-wannabe, crap.  (mystictechgal, Member-Moderator)
manderle

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »

I would agree with being in the same boat (although 44 at this time).

Most of my hours are the basics, and for myself it was a 'better' move to get an industry recognized certificate than a 4 year degree at the time.  Without the degree, I was at a touch under $100k before making the move to become an entrepreneur.

However; over the years I've certainly been filtered out of possible positions due to the lack of a degree.

Now, I'm considering finishing and realize that I might not want to focus my studies in my original path.

Such is life.  Embrace and extend!

Interested in learning, especially in the media marketing arts.  I have a Houses for Sale in Dallas Tx (www.housesforsaleindallastxs.com) focused education site and a website which helps a person hope through suggested solutions to challenges we all face.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

Now I am frightened.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »

Now I am frightened.

Aren't embracing and extending, as physical actions, kind of antithetical?

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 1:35:29 PM »

Now I am frightened.

Aren't embracing and extending, as physical actions, kind of antithetical?

Nah.  They're two halves of a whole.  Think of yin and yang.  Of the expansion/contraction cycles of the Hindu creation myths.  Of chocolate and vanilla.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
cajunmama

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 5:00:01 PM »

Go back to school. Fill out the FAFSA.

I received my bachelors this past May at 37, and now I am embarking on my quest for a PhD. Yes, I was older than ALL of my classmates and a prof or two (okay, four).

You care more about your age than all your future classmates and instructors combined.

If you want to go back to school, then go.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 9:02:46 PM »

If you want to go back to school, then go.

Excellent advice, if (a) you are independently wealthy, (b) you have a separate source of income (spouse etc.), or (c) you have no desire to eat for several years in the future, or possibly permanently.

But we've covered this repeatedly on other fora threads.  The simple fact is that you should take a hard look, right now, about what you might do to support yourself after you're done with this new round of schooling.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
emmawilson0813

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

I was 36 when I decided to go back to college and finish my degree. I am now 39 and I can say that I enjoyed learning at this point in time. 20 years ago I lack the focus required of every student in order to learn and be armed with the right education. I was not ready for it back then and as I grow older I feel that I owe it to myself to finish and get the degree I've been wanting to have for myself.  I never regretted going back to college.  There are few adjustments at first and my younger classmates are very enthusiastic and accepted me to the group despite the age difference.
farm_boy
Professor Demeritus

recalcitrant and trollish loser

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 1:16:31 PM »

In my beginning/intermediate algebra class I have a 95% average so far.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

I notice some differences between being a student at 52 and 22:

I treasure each textbook I buy and I wouldn't think of ever selling them back to the bookstore.

I bind all class notes and handouts from each course and put them in a labeled folder on my bookshelf for future reference.

I never miss class.

I study a lot.

At the end of the course I give the teacher a glowing evaluation (actually, when I was 22 the the act of students grading teachers hadn't been invented yet).

Screw you... You're not a troll. You're just posting pathetic jerkish, troll-wannabe, crap.  (mystictechgal, Member-Moderator)
proftowanda

"Righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare."

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 2:38:17 PM »

I was 36 when I decided to go back to college and finish my degree. I am now 39 and I can say that I enjoyed learning at this point in time. 20 years ago I lack the focus required of every student in order to learn and be armed with the right education. I was not ready for it back then and as I grow older I feel that I owe it to myself to finish and get the degree I've been wanting to have for myself.  I never regretted going back to college.  There are few adjustments at first and my younger classmates are very enthusiastic and accepted me to the group despite the age difference.

Emma, you are not 39.  Clearly, you are forever young!

Thank you for your comment.

"Face it, girls.  I'm older, and I have more insurance."     -- Towanda!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: