• July 27, 2016
July 27, 2016, 8:59:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Accidentally Dropped Your Class  (Read 2565 times)
hiddendragon
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: March 05, 2010, 3:14:31 pm »

What to do? 

Student X is not a stellar student.  Had hu in previous class and hu got a C-, barely passing the course.  Hu has been following me around, though.  Hu signed up to take second part of my course this semester.  Registered two weeks late.  Comes to class rarely and when hu does so is 15 to half an hour late.  Got a D on the midterm.  Does not participate in discussions (again, misses large portions due to tardiness).  Then this:

Student X:  Prof. Dragon, I accidentally dropped your class the other day and need to re-add it again.

Me:  Huh?

Student X:  Will you let me back in to the class?  I need your permission.

Me:  Actually, I was going to say you're failing the course at this point and for you to consider dropping it.

Student X:  Huh?

Me:  Come by on Tuesday and we'll talk more.

Student X:  Ok.

So...would you let this student back?  Who accidentally drops a class anyway.  And, I am increasingly annoyed at being interrupted when this student decides to show up to my class 15 to 30 minutes late.  Are there legal consequences if I don't let hu back?  Can the dean, for example, force me to take hu back?
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 3:21:47 pm »

I think the answers to your questions depend on your institution.  At mine, I can drop a student from the class (against his or her will) under very specific circumstances.  I've never had to so this, though.  But if he or she needs your permission to re-add the class, that implies that you don't have to give it, doesn't it?

At the very least, you could tell the student that you'll no longer permit him or her to enter the classroom after class has started and make that a condition of his or her readmission.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 3:27:51 pm »

So...would you let this student back?  Who accidentally drops a class anyway.  And, I am increasingly annoyed at being interrupted when this student decides to show up to my class 15 to 30 minutes late.  Are there legal consequences if I don't let hu back?  Can the dean, for example, force me to take hu back?

We use Datatel, and it occasionally happens near the end of the term when students start registering for the next term. There's a confirmation screen and if one has never used it before, it's not too difficult to accidentally delete yourself from a class in the current term.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 3:30:55 pm »

I'd tell him sometimes God looks after us in mysterious ways, and everything happens for a reason.

Funny how he accidently dropped the course since he was going to fail anyway.

Really. Do you need the aggravation?

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
caravaggiojr82

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 3:34:35 pm »

At the very least, you could tell the student that you'll no longer permit him or her to enter the classroom after class has started and make that a condition of his or her readmission.
I like that. You could have additional conditions, too.

I'm not sure about the legalities, but some feel that students, in a sense, "have the right" to do poorly in a course if they're paying tuition. But if the tardiness or other lackluster behaviors are disrupting or distracting you from the business of teaching, then the student's "right" to be in the class is (to my mind) trumped by everyone else's right to an education free of excessive distractions and nonsense.

"Of course we could make things more challenging, Lisa, but then the stupider students would be in here complaining, furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation."
--Principal Skinner, "The Simpsons"
hiddendragon

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 3:41:26 pm »

Thanks for confirming my views.  I ain't letting this student back.  I'm going to email hu right now telling hu not to even bother me on Tuesday and waste my time.  If my course is not worth hu's time, hu's not worth my time.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 4:04:08 pm »

We use Datatel as well, and I had one accidentally drop earlier this term.  However, as the Registrar's Office pointed out when she tried to get back in (I'd referred the matter to them), the reason the system dropped her was because she was trying to register for a course that ran same time, same day as my course. 

It's surprising how long it took her to accept the fact that she couldn't stay registered in both, and divide her attention between the two.  Sheesh.  The system is smarter than she is.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
lolar2

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 4:09:45 pm »

No, no, the system just wasn't taking her time-turner into account. They'll add that feature with the next upgrade.
hiddendragon

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 4:21:39 pm »

I think my student was trying to pull a double whamy as well and so got dropped from my course "accidentally".  I believe that was why hu only attended half my class.  Hu was hoping to pull off on doing half the face time in both classes, but the system caught hu.

We use Datatel as well, and I had one accidentally drop earlier this term.  However, as the Registrar's Office pointed out when she tried to get back in (I'd referred the matter to them), the reason the system dropped her was because she was trying to register for a course that ran same time, same day as my course. 

It's surprising how long it took her to accept the fact that she couldn't stay registered in both, and divide her attention between the two.  Sheesh.  The system is smarter than she is.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 5:40:18 pm »

My take on it is that if the student messed up his or her registration, that is the student's problem. If the registration office/system made a mistake, the student needs to take that up with them, not me.

In general, it's very difficult here for a student to add a class when the enrollment period is over (two weeks into the semester), it requires permission from the instructor and then two more levels above that. In most cases the student does not get late enrollment granted, as it means the college would be providing the instruction for free without reimbursement from the state. Although this limitation has the financial motivation behind it, I appreciate not having to deal with students who are trying to start a class so late, it's never a good sign.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: