• November 30, 2015
November 30, 2015, 10:12:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unwanted credit cards  (Read 2139 times)

« on: November 05, 2008, 11:50:08 pm »

My wife and I just got an unsolicited credit card in the mail (Mastercard). Aside from not activating it and shredding it, what should we do? Call the issuer and complain? Put restrictions in our credit reports? Anything else?

Thanks in advance,
My CV says I'm a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:52:21 pm »

Definitely call the issuer and ask why it was issued.

You may have foiled an identity theft attempt (perhaps a missed mailbox intercept scheme).  Depending on their answer, a credit report fraud alert may be a wise next step - and get copies of your credit reports to see if there are any other recently issued cards of which you were not aware.

In foris veritas.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:53:56 pm »

Order your credit report to make sure that you are not a victim of identity theft.  You should not be getting unsolicited credit cards.... could this be a store card that changed over to a MC?

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader
hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 2:15:40 pm »

I received a Discover card (with a $4000 limit) at my address but in someone else's name.  I called Discover and they couldn't figure out what happened.  I of course shredded the paperwork and cut up the card.  It did make me a bit nervous--it came to my exactly right address, apartment number and all--but it could well have been the previous tenant (who left 18 months ago...).

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 5:21:57 pm »

You should check why the card was issued with the card issuer right away.
Pages: [1]
Jump to: