• February 12, 2016
February 12, 2016, 6:33:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice - What should my effective date of resignation be?  (Read 2382 times)
avaya
Fourth-year TT
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: April 26, 2008, 10:14:19 pm »

I am taking a new position January 1.  My SLAC's semester ends December 14.  Can I say my resignation is effective 12/31?  We will be on break, but I need the health coverage to continue.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. -- Albert Einstein
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 1:11:49 am »

I am taking a new position January 1.  My SLAC's semester ends December 14.  Can I say my resignation is effective 12/31?  We will be on break, but I need the health coverage to continue.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Your effective date of resignation should be the last day of your actual contract, not your last teaching day - which probably means 12/31? My contract runs from 7/1 to 6/30, so my resignation is effective on 6/30 - despite the fact that my teaching responsibilities are only from 8/15 to 5/15 each year. Check with HR on the exact contract date - it's probably different from your teaching dates.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
pippin

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 6:12:31 pm »

At our institution, if you are employed on the first day of the month, your health coverage is for the whole month, even if you resign on the 2nd. You might want to check with HR.

Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: