• August 25, 2016
August 25, 2016, 7:26:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: First day of class: introducing yourself  (Read 27112 times)
joey_fan

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 10:17:40 am »

LOL. I've had my moments entertaining this idea. I show up in sweats/PJs, plop down and talk about the dorms/bad dining hall food, whatev, and then SURPRISE!! I'M THE PROF.

Expect the unexpected in my course, peeps!!!

I still think it's more fun to dress like a student (you know in pj's) and blend in. It's an interesting experience--and an intriguing opportunity to observe social dynamics.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:18:38 am by joey_fan » Logged
tamiam
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:15 am »

Of course you're qualified! They wouldn't think otherwise!

You can say that this is your first semester teaching at xyz, but move quickly on to a description of your cool research. One of the important things we teach them is what it is to DO the work they're preparing for by taking classes. (Yeah, yeah, clearly I'm not a comp teacher. That last sentence was a mess and I don't know how to fix it).

I constantly bring up examples from my work and research to illustrate the points I'm making in class.

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:22 am »

LOL. I've had my moments entertaining this idea. I show up in sweats/PJs, plop down and talk about the dorms/bad dining hall food, whatev, and then SURPRISE!! I'M THE PROF.

I still think it's more fun to dress like a student (you know in pj's) and blend in. It's an interesting experience--and an intriguing opportunity to observe social dynamics.

I sat with my students for fifteen minutes before the first class once. They didn't say a word. It was boring, to be honest.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
joey_fan

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:49 am »

Great suggestions, tamiam! I hadn't thought about that "Let me show you what I do" factor of teaching before.

...One of the important things we teach them is what it is to DO the work they're preparing for by taking classes. (Yeah, yeah, clearly I'm not a comp teacher. That last sentence was a mess and I don't know how to fix it).

I constantly bring up examples from my work and research to illustrate the points I'm making in class.
johnr

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 11:59:59 am »

Wow, I'm scared now. You all make it sound like the students are vicious and out to get us!  When I started adjuncting, I did tell them "Hi, I'm Smurfette Jones, and this is my first time teaching here. I am a biologist and for my research I work on dolphin communication". Etc.  Nobody ever tried to take advantage of me. The worst that happened was that some didn't care or were bored. But nobody tried to exploit my "green-ness" even though I looked even younger then...

I'm with you smurfette. Honestly, I wonder where some people teach and hope that I never have to work there! I see nothing wrong with introducing oneself, it's just good manners after all.  Most of the students will figure out if you are new or not anyway, so you might as well tell them!
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 12:38:34 pm »

With first years, I generally spend a couple of minutes. "My name is Dr. Science Expat, I'm part of the xxx research group, and my main research interest is yyyy. Some of you will also see me in such-and-such module and in second and third years I teach...... Also, as you'll find, I travel quite a bit so don't be surprised when classes are re-arranged later in the term".

For more advanced students, I just refer to my research and the travel. (I like to make them jealous...)

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
goldstein

I zap stupid. Deal with it.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 1:45:15 pm »

The essence of teaching is persuasion which is based on logos, pathos and ethos.  Why would teachers elect to use less than all the tools available them?

Sitting in a dark corner, mumbling to myself.  Someday I will simply disappear.  Or not.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 1:56:10 pm »

This is how you introduce yourself to your students on the first day of class?

Are you logos, pathos, or ethos, or do you play all three, a la Tony Curtis or Peter O'Toole?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
contemporary_
Indigenous

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 2:04:00 pm »

Are you logos, pathos, or ethos, or do you play all three, a la Tony Curtis or Peter O'Toole?

Bathos.

also fills the typical New Yorker reader with a warm feeling of bemused superiority.
goldstein

I zap stupid. Deal with it.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 2:23:21 pm »

It really isn't necessary for any of us to know everything about everything.  Lacking knowledge in a particular technical vocabulary doesn't necessarily mean that you have a small weenie, Yellowtractor.

But to jump into a thread for the first time only to demonstrate your lack of knowledge, that might be an early indicator.

I will readily defer to your obviously greater knowledge in a thread on Tonka Toys.  So, go there now and let the adults talk here. 

Sitting in a dark corner, mumbling to myself.  Someday I will simply disappear.  Or not.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 2:33:01 pm »

It really isn't necessary for any of us to know everything about everything.  Lacking knowledge in a particular technical vocabulary doesn't necessarily mean that you have a small weenie, Yellowtractor.

But to jump into a thread for the first time only to demonstrate your lack of knowledge, that might be an early indicator.

I will readily defer to your obviously greater knowledge in a thread on Tonka Toys.  So, go there now and let the adults talk here. 

Goldstein, my response to your "logos, pathos, or ethos" post was going to be "huh?" but I decided not to bother.

In retrospect, I should have.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
tamiam

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 2:35:06 pm »

The essence of teaching is persuasion which is based on logos, pathos and ethos.  Why would teachers elect to use less than all the tools available them?

Are those the three musketeers?

No, seriously, G-man. Explain. Clearly your latin (or is it greek) is above at least some of the heads here. Namely, mine.

Logic, pathetic-ness, and ethics?

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
slac_vap
Aliases include: slap_vac, shop_vac, slap_vap, slac_vac, and slac_vp.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 2:37:08 pm »

Piling on as another who is stumped by the technical language (a.k.a. jargon).  I was going to politely ask goldstein to explain, but now I just feel stupid.

"...the world between reality and fantasy improv nonsense is blurred in Columbus." -David Gaus
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 2:38:22 pm »

Why yes, of course, I always begin the semester by pronouncing my moral competence to my students. Wins them over every time.

Pft.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
au_fait

WTF?

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 2:45:30 pm »

LOL. I've had my moments entertaining this idea. I show up in sweats/PJ's, plop down and talk about the dorms/bad dining hall food, whatever, and then SURPRISE!! I'M THE PROF.

I sat with my students for fifteen minutes before the first class once. They didn't say a word. It was boring, to be honest.

Especially with freshmen, you've got to do some of the work to get them talking--freshmen are scared to speak (give 'em a year...). It's a lot of fun once you get into it, but it's not always appropriate.

Yeah, I look young enough to pull this off for a few more years, but I've also never worried about them questioning whether or not I'm qualified to teach--freshman level through split level courses. It's about confidence and how we represent ourselves. (Not so much with words, but with actions and presence).

Don't worry too much about it. If you're qualified, it'll come across clearly without you trumpeting your qualifications. If you're not qualified, find a mentor and prepare, prepare, prepare.

"Sarcasm keeps you from telling people what you really think of them."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: