• June 30, 2016
June 30, 2016, 4:39:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I write-out my credentials?  (Read 9321 times)
otter

« on: August 27, 2006, 11:40:04 pm »

I wasn't sure which forum to ask my question, but this one looked like the best...

I have just started my first tenure-track faculty position and my secretary has asked me how I would like my business cards and stationary to look.  This is a first for me and I am not sure which is the proper way to write out my name with the credentials that I have.  I have a Ph.D. and an M.A. in molecular biology.

How should my credentials be listed after my name?

First name last name, Ph.D., M.A.
First name last name, M.A., Ph.D.
First name last name, Ph.D. (no M.A. listed)

Which one is the proper way to write it out (or is there a proper way?)?

Thanks in advance,

Otter
smurlein

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:18:53 am »

Ph.D. only

"There ain't nothin' cuter than a fat country baby eatin' peaches off a hard wood floor."  --SNL skit
fiona
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 3:46:11 am »

A lot of universities have a standard format, or a standard place where business cards are ordered. You could ask your department chair.

The Fiona or Them Fion or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
waxwing

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 6:08:35 am »

And if there is a standard place, said standard place will probably have several different mock-ups of cards so you can have some basis on which to choose.

WW

History has a stutter. It says w-w-w-w-watch out!
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 8:34:43 am »

Ph.D. after you name; omit master's degrees.  Or Dr. Hans Zharkov, but never both: Dr. Hans Zharkov, Ph.D.

Also, take it easy on any professional certifications.  Maybe list one, like a CPA, but don't put down a whole string of other things. (CFA, ABC, etc.)

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 6:57:03 pm »

If you have a PhD, honey, nobody cares if you have an MA. Besides, have you ever seen ANY faculty member who lists both their MA and PhD?

You're welcome in advance...
seniorscholar

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:43:53 pm »

How many degrees you list, and in what form, and what other initials you may use after your name, and whether or not you list a title before your name in addition differs (1) depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on (2) depending on what field you're in (3) depending on what kind of school you're in (4) depending on what these other qualifications are (e.g., in the religion department of my public university, for example, some people list religious titles and others don't). Therefore please seek advice from the executive assistant who orders the cards for department members, or, if you're getting them on your own, from some senior person who is well-thought of in your field, at your school (and be prepared to change if you move to another country or another university).
anthroid
hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:31:09 pm »

Ask your chair.  I include my Ph.D. (but not my MA) and my additional master's in a professional field, as it helps to identify me for accreditation reasons.  So I'm Dr. Anthroid, MPF (master's in professional field). Also then I luk rily smarttt.

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??
crazybatlady
The Very First

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 8:52:25 pm »

This may be a hijack, but it's related:

How many folks out there who are not MDs have "Dr. So and So" on their business cards and stationary?

How many have "So and So, Ph.D."?

What is the motivation behind your choice?

As always, CBL rules!  All hail the CBL!
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 4:16:31 pm »

This may be a hijack, but it's related:

How many folks out there who are not MDs have "Dr. So and So" on their business cards and stationary?

How many have "So and So, Ph.D."?

What is the motivation behind your choice?

My business cards have "Dr. <Conjugate>, Assistant Professor...."  The motivation, such as it was, was that my institution has a standardized style for these kinds of things.  My title, office phone #, departmental fax #, and all those things, have their own official place.  Those faculty with no Ph.D. (just a few, mostly ABD's or instructors) get Mr./Ms. in the appropriate place.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
dr_strangelove

Get me my shoes.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 4:32:58 pm »

I've never been keen on credentialism, so my business card just has "'John Q. Strangelove, Associate Professor" [1] on it. No "Mr." "Dr." or "Ph.D." for me! My door just says "John Q. Strangelove" as well.

[1] This makes me wonder ... what is Dr. Strangelove's first name anyway?

I have an inbox?
crazybatlady
The Very First

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 4:36:57 pm »

Thanks for the replies, conjugate and dr_strangelove.  I've posted this question (and my first poll!) on its own thread.

cbl

As always, CBL rules!  All hail the CBL!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: