• May 29, 2016
May 29, 2016, 1:23:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: that flu that's going around?  (Read 6180 times)
anon
« on: November 17, 2005, 9:57:22 am »

Every so often, typically when a student misses class, an assignment, or an exam, the student approaches me and tells me that they've been sick and that they guess that they came down with "that flu that's going around."  Invariably, I haven't heard about this alleged flu epidemic, and I always want to make some smart aleck remark about how I wonder why the epidemiologists or public health authorities haven't alerted everyone about the "flu that's going around."  How many of your students use this excuse?  It's not always the flu either.  Sometimes, it's the "stomach virus that's going around."

[%sig%]
mouse
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:46:53 am »

Trust me, its much much worse when they come in with the stomach virus and pass it on to you!

Projectile vomiting is no fun.
MP
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:27:02 am »

An internist friend tells me that a lot of "stomach flu" is probably food poisoning.  No damn fun regardless of the source.
js
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:04 pm »

Given how often I find myself flat on my back, half-dead from something I picked up in the classroom, I hardly ever give kids grief about a stomach virus or the flu.

I used to ask for doctor's excuses, but at the kind of school I and many others teach at, visiting the doctor for a virus is just not economically feasible; poor folks just groan and get over it as best they can. So I no longer ask for excuses--not if I'm going to discriminate against poor people by doing so.
Ms. Collegiality
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:22:20 pm »

It IS going around in my neck of the woods.  I had it, half my colleagues have had it, my husband had it, one of my kids had it, her teacher had it, and more than a third of my students had it.  So I'm in no position to look askance when someone uses that excuse.  However, it only lasted two or three days.
js
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:35:08 pm »

Heck, I have "it" right now. (I'm in the protracted recovery stage where you don't feel like doing anything besides wallowing on the couch and watching tv shows starring Michael Landon.) "It" put one of my colleagues in the hospital.

So I'm more than willing to give a kid in these sick times a break.
Adjunk
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 12:47:40 pm »

I've asked visibly sick students to leave the room (assuring them that I won't mark them absent) because I didn't want them to make me or others sick.  Sometimes they come in, coughing and sneezing, faces flush from fever.  What are they thinking?
Typhoid Tillie
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 12:51:09 pm »

There's always something going around on college campuses. If you're lucky, it's not gonorrhea.

[%sig%]
wimp
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 12:57:41 pm »

But it is going around. That's why I emailed in sick yesterday evening!
yep
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 3:21:53 pm »

seriously,  "it" is going around here right now. Ive been darn near dead for the last  3 weeks and still haven't made it to my NP. cut the kids some slack.
soc
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 3:49:03 pm »

Adjunk wrote:

Sometimes they come in, coughing
> and sneezing, faces flush from fever.  What are they thinking?

Um... That you're going to mark them absent.
Langprof
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 7:20:48 pm »

College dorms are right up there with day care centers and elementary schools when it comes to spreading germs.

My attendence policy is based on common sense. Anyone can get sick once or twice in a semester and miss a couple of classes - I will believe that, no doctor's note is needed.  More than two illnesses in a semester and I need to see something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: