The lack of minority Ph.D.’s has a lot to do with the lack of socialization into academic life.
On HiringView more >>
The Party Line
The profession of government relations teeters on the brink, just like so much else at our institutions.
- The Horror, the Horror of Midterm Elections
- The 10.1 Things a Government-Relations Officer Must Achieve
- A Tale of Two Lobbying Firms
- Can You Get Us President Obama, Please?
A President's Fifth Year
Faculty-Salary Increases at Public Colleges Trail Those at Private Ones
Salaries for faculty members across all disciplines rose by 1.9 percent this year, nearly matching the 2-percent rise in senior administrators' pay.
Elsewhere in The Chronicle
The flagship’s College of Business is teaming up with Coursera on the new iMBA program. Students could complete the entire degree for about $20,000.
Latest Run-Your-Campus Columns
The declining numbers of applications should make us all think about what we might need to change.
How can we counter the "dismal and disruptive" pattern of fund raisers changing jobs after two to three years?
- The Rolling Stones and Graduate-School Management
- It's Not What You Say; It's What Google Says
- Top 10 Mistakes in Recruiting Administrators
Recent Advice Columns
Even faculty members disagree on when paraphrasing becomes plagiarism. How can we expect students to know?
Why are some departments guarded about sharing the details of a faculty opening?
Has academe’s attitude toward nonacademic careers for Ph.D.’s changed much in a decade?