The international academic job market for Ph.D.’s is bigger than just Britain, Australia, and Canada. Should you give it a shot?
An Academic in America
Online learning can be compatible with small-college values. Here’s how.
- 'Tension City' and the Campus Interview
- Where Have All the Ph.D.’s Gone?
- Shared Governance, Tenure, and Academic Freedom Are Worth the Trouble
Beyond the Ivory Tower
Few people can sabotage your career better than you can.
Elsewhere in The Chronicle
The author of the American Historical Association's report finds the latest figures "especially disconcerting."
Campuses that are family-friendly in name only will be at a disadvantage in hiring, presidents said at a conference on issues of work-life balance.
- For Adjuncts Who Take a Role in Contract Talks, Job Protection Is Rare
Latest Manage-Your-Career Columns
To narrow the pool, search committees often look to see which candidates have eliminated themselves through missteps.
In every department, certain figures can profoundly affect your progress in academe.
- How to Write a Good Book Proposal, the Sequel
- How to Develop a TSC (Trusted Senior Colleague)
- A Different Set of Advice for Community-College Presidents
Recent Advice Columns
Five questions faculty members should ask themselves before they weave a recent controversy into their courses.
When you discover a colleague’s ethical violation, you’re supposed to report it. But that doesn’t mean anyone actually wants you to.
A master’s student who is thinking about seeking a doctorate asks, "Shouldn’t I do what I do best?"
Cathy Dove, who led the applied-sciences campus being built in New York City, has become the first female president of Paul Smith’s College.
- Take a Tip From the Tech World: Hire a Chief Marketing Officer
- George Washington U. Snags a Decipherer of Ancient Texts
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.