How academe can open up debate about the future of doctoral education to graduate students.
An Academic in America
Online learning can be compatible with small-college values. Here’s how.
- 'Tension City' and the Campus Interview
- Where Have All the Ph.D.’s Gone?
- Shared Governance, Tenure, and Academic Freedom Are Worth the Trouble
Enjoy your comfort reading. Just don’t call it scholarship.
- The Chinese Mother's American Dream
- A Hockey Mom Seeks Tenure
- Coming Out as Academic Mothers
Beyond the Ivory Tower
The question is not whether IT work is suitable, but what kind of IT work is suitable.
- 'So What Are You Going to Do With That?'
- Finding Meaning After Academe
- The Ph.D.'s Guide to a Nonfaculty Job Search
How are you using your dissertation to move your career forward?
Elsewhere in The Chronicle
The author of the American Historical Association's report finds the latest figures "especially disconcerting."
Campuses that are family-friendly in name only will be at a disadvantage in hiring, presidents said at a conference on issues of work-life balance.
- For Adjuncts Who Take a Role in Contract Talks, Job Protection Is Rare
Latest Manage-Your-Career Columns
To narrow the pool, search committees often look to see which candidates have eliminated themselves through missteps.
In every department, certain figures can profoundly affect your progress in academe.
- How to Write a Good Book Proposal, the Sequel
- How to Develop a TSC (Trusted Senior Colleague)
- A Different Set of Advice for Community-College Presidents
Recent Advice Columns
Can effective teachers learn from the unconditional love of effective parents?
How not to treat a senior eminence whose manuscript you’ve solicited.
Affection and respect do far more to improve student behavior in the classroom than snark and irritation.
Sam Kamin, a professor of marijuana law at the University of Denver, finds his expertise much in demand.
- U. of Miami to Get Its First Hispanic Leader, and Other News About People
- Adelphi U. President Retires After Turning Around a Grim Situation, and Other News About People
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.