How to deal with a deaf professor who doesn't want students to know.
An Academic in America
How to give B.A.'s in arts and humanities more career options without abandoning the life of the mind.
- On Graduate School and 'Love'
- 'Hacking' and 'Yacking' About the Digital Humanities
- Just Look at the Data, if You Can Find Any
Beyond the Ivory Tower
When are deans, provosts, and presidents most likely to reverse a departmental tenure decision?
Elsewhere in The Chronicle
Adjuncts can come to the bargaining table, speakers at a conference on academic labor said, but doing so can cost them their jobs.
A panel discussion and a speech by the association's president emphasize the problems faced by instructors off the tenure track.
- As Michigan Becomes a 'Right to Work' State, College Unions Plan Next Moves
Latest Manage-Your-Career Columns
To narrow the pool, search committees often look to see which candidates have eliminated themselves through missteps.
In every department, certain figures can profoundly affect your progress in academe.
- How to Write a Good Book Proposal, the Sequel
- How to Develop a TSC (Trusted Senior Colleague)
- A Different Set of Advice for Community-College Presidents
Recent Advice Columns
If an editor is taking months too long on your manuscript, it's time to start being a pest.
A professor's daughter who is now an academic wonders: Do I want my child to follow in my footsteps?
It's time to overhaul a foolish job-application requirement.
Before you sign a contract, think ahead to the unthinkable.
- Top 10 Mistakes in Recruiting Administrators
- Not Dressing the Part, and Other Interview Mistakes
Michael Cunningham, an entrepreneur and former business dean, is working on ways to help National University better serve its nontraditional students.
- British-Educated Official to Lead Newly Merged College in Georgia
- Director of New Center at Texas A&M Looks for Foods That Protect Health
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.