Campus policies to accommodate faculty members with "special needs" children have a hit-or-miss quality.
An Academic in America
Online learning can be compatible with small-college values. Here’s how.
- 'Tension City' and the Campus Interview
- Where Have All the Ph.D.’s Gone?
- Shared Governance, Tenure, and Academic Freedom Are Worth the Trouble
Beyond the Ivory Tower
How to match donor passion to your department’s needs.
Elsewhere in The Chronicle
Adjuncts can come to the bargaining table, speakers at a conference on academic labor said, but doing so can cost them their jobs.
A panel discussion and a speech by the association's president emphasize the problems faced by instructors off the tenure track.
- As Michigan Becomes a 'Right to Work' State, College Unions Plan Next Moves
Latest Manage-Your-Career Columns
To narrow the pool, search committees often look to see which candidates have eliminated themselves through missteps.
In every department, certain figures can profoundly affect your progress in academe.
- How to Write a Good Book Proposal, the Sequel
- How to Develop a TSC (Trusted Senior Colleague)
- A Different Set of Advice for Community-College Presidents
Recent Advice Columns
"You can probably make more money having a first-class yard sale."
Ignored in the recent MLA report was a series of experiments that "demonstrate the emerging new character" of doctoral training.
To tell 17-year-olds that they might have a chance to do something interesting—in four years—isn’t very persuasive.
Juliet V. García, who has been president of the University of Texas at Brownsville for 22 years, will try to develop the next generation of leaders across borders.
- Historian to Lead Catholic Center for Holocaust Education at Seton Hill U.
- New Dean to Involve Students in Environmental Issues Near and Far
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.