Obama's Budget Proposal
The president seeks funds to reward states and colleges, raise the maximum Pell Grant, and expand an income-based student-loan repayment option.
- Spending on Science, Already Down, Would Remain Tight
- Plan Would Cap Charitable Deduction for Top Earners
- Humanities and Arts Endowments Would See Level Funds
Public Colleges: A Special Report
A tale of erosion, seen through six people in the trenches.
How higher education got to a tipping point.
Politics are thwarting colleges' role in upward mobility.
- Interactive: 25 Years of Declining State Support for Public Colleges
- Chronicle Chat: Experts Discuss the Neglect of Public Colleges
Less money means less science, as shown by a Chronicle survey of more than 10,000 researchers.
In the News
Recent controversies over faculty speech have led the storied institution’s leaders to make a formal change.
The program, approved on Thursday, allows students to fuse computer science and the humanities. The major will be offered starting this fall.
- Advocates of For-Profit Higher Education Make Their Case to Lawmakers
- U. of Tennessee at Martin Encourages Helicopter Parents to Hover
- Plans for New SAT Spark Mixed Reviews
- Cost and Financial Aid Increasingly Influence Students’ Choice of College
- Northwestern U. Gets Renewed Grilling Over Unauthorized Tests on Patients
- Group Proposes Improvements in Higher-Education Data Systems