Things to Know Before You Go
Most departments will never willingly provide information on graduate-student attrition, debt, and placement.
It's hard to tell young people that universities view their idealism and energy as an exploitable resource.
- Just Don't Go, Part 2
- If You Must Go to Grad School ...
- Dodging the Anvil
- Making a Reasonable Choice
- The Annual Labor Shortage Hoax
- Is Graduate School a Cult?
Henry Adams on Grad School
Sitting at my desk last February, I once again envisioned a summer in which I would get 36 hours of work out of every 24.
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 14
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 13
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 12
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 11
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 10
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 9
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 8
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 7
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 6
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 5
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 4
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 3
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 2
- Academic Bait-and-Switch
The Graduate Adviser
Advice for Advisers
Why am I getting paid to mentor your graduate students? Because someone has to do it.
Even after decades of advising experience, many professors can't predict which graduate students will succeed and which ones will flame out.
- Advising the Dissertation Student Who Won't Finish
- Advising the New Adviser
From The Chronicle Review
It's hard heading back to grad school when you know too much about postgraduate life.
Dear Professors: We don't want your pity, just your help.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
Writing the Dissertation
Do dissertation committees really criticize young scholars for good writing, or is that just selective hearing?
- Rumblings of a Dissertation Writer
- Frodo Baggins, A.B.D.
- Finishing the Dissertation
- Place and Space
- How eBay Helped Me Finish My Thesis
- How To Finish Your Dissertation
Parents Pursuing Ph.D.'s
An expert on work-life issues in academe mulls why so few people start a family in graduate school.
- A Pregnant Pause
- Giving Birth to 2 Babies
- Graduate School With Children
- Graduate School With Children, Part 2
- Graduate School With Children, Part 3
- Giving Birth in Graduate School
Coping With Stress
Fretting about the job market while in graduate school is not only unhealthy but gets in the way of good scholarship.
- Food and Sanity in Graduate School
- Paranoid? You Must Be a Grad Student
- Graduate School Neuroses
- Advanced Symptoms of Advanced Degrees
- Grad-School Blues
Dealing With Debt
Strategies for Success
A new assistant professor offers advice about how to enjoy life as an overworked and underpaid doctoral student.
- What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School 2.0
- The Graduate Student as Entrepreneur
- Should Graduate Students Create E-Portfolios?
- What I Tell My Graduate Students
- Fashion Lessons for Graduate Students
- Reading Like a Graduate Student
- Thinking Beyond the Dissertation
- How to Win a Graduate Fellowship
- Grant-Writing Tips for Graduate Students
Having a Plan B
You, too, can join the ranks of the gainfully employed outside of academe. Here's how.
- From Academe to Market Research
- The Humanities Ph.D. at Work
- Don't Reform Graduate Education in a Vacuum
- Location, Location, Location
- Turning 'Plan B' Into a 'Plan A' Life
- Writing for History Buffs
- Our Secret Nonacademic Histories
- The Sweet Spot of a Nonacademic Job Search
- Changing History