About the Market
Teaching part-time is the surest, and sometimes the only, route to a full-time teaching position at a community college.
- Academic Jobs and Unicorns
- The Annual Labor Shortage Hoax
- On the Market in a Recession
- How Academic Finances Affect the Job Market
- Groundhog Day on the Market
Applying for Jobs
The last thing you want to convey to search committees is desperation or rage.
- When It'll Never Be a Good Fit
- That Crucial First Impression
- Getting Psyched Up for the Market
- E-Application Etiquette
- What Small Colleges Really Want
- Applying for Jobs at Two-Year Colleges
- How to Make Your Application Stand Out
- To Whom It May Concern: Reading Job Applications
- Am I My Vita?
- Just What Is a Dossier?
- What's Your Philosophy on Teaching, and Does it Matter?
- How to Write a Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Background Checks and Your Job Search
- Next Question?
Great Colleges to Work For
Is your college a great place to work? Read The Chronicle's fourth annual report.
The CV Doctor
Our experts offer advice on preparing strong academic CV's and résumés for nonacademic jobs.
Share your experiences and read about those of others in our Forums.
Job Searching Abroad
As a Ph.D., your skills are as portable as you want to make them.
- Is There a Perfect Personality for Expatriates?
- A Move Abroad: Travels and Travails
- Case Study: South Korea for Overseas Job Seekers
- Greetings From Cairo
- Going Overseas to Solve Our Two-Body Problem
Ways to handle questions and comments that are illegal, unethical, or just plain rude.
- What to Expect in a First-Round Interview
- How Skype Is Changing the Interview Process
- Answering the Illegal Question
- Preparing for Your Interview
- The First Interview
- What Should You Wear?
- The Community-College Interview
- The Community-College Interview: What Not to Do
- How to Stand Out in Your Interview
- The Campus Visit
- Preparing for the Conventions
- Ready for Round 2
- Asking the Right Questions
- The Academic Job Interview Revisited
- First-Interview Jitters
- 9 Good Openings
- Preparing for Campus Interviews
The Waiting Game
Coping With Rejection
Much of what goes on in the hiring process has nothing to do with you personally.
- The Afterlife of Rejection
- Thank You for Your Interest
- Should I Ask Who Was Hired? ... and Other Questions From Readers
- Why Didn't I Get Hired?
- The Rhetoric of Rejection
- It's OK to Say No
- Some Reflection on Rejection
- Lessons in Anger Management