Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative, business-savvy Senior Communications Manager to make an impact in our marketing strategies within the higher education, non-profit, and publishing communities! The Senior Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Marketing Communications and Managing Director of Audience Development and senior business and editorial leadership to develop and execute a robust, multi-faced communications program to increase the visibility of The Chronicle of Higher Education's brands, products, editorial coverage, and executive leadership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Working with key business and editorial stakeholders to implement strategic PR programs to achieve specified business outcomes as well as significant increases in awareness for all brands and products as measured by brand sentiment and survey tools.
• Conducting proactive outreach to national media outlets and key contacts in print, radio, television, and online media to establish The Chronicle as a reliable source for expert opinion on higher education and non-profit issues.
• Identifying and processing award submissions for higher education, non-profit, and publishing recognition in order to create positive press for The Chronicle.
The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and execute tactically. A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, journalism or equivalent field of study and 5-10 years of experience in media relations is required. Knowledge of the higher education industry with recent relevant job experience and contacts highly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Senior Communications Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Database Developer to join our dynamic team of reporters, researchers, and online journalists. This position will help develop build, operate, and refine the company’s foundational data technologies and advance the data management processes with the goal of improving The Chronicle’s ability to procure and provide relevant data to audiences in higher education and the nonprofit world. The Database Developer will work with a team of data journalists, designers, and web developers to create great stories and news applications through data.
• Collaborate with the technology team to build out APIs and web interfaces that will draw from and publish to Chronicle databases;
• Lead the implementation of tools and establishment of best practices for collecting data via both online surveys and public/private database procurement;
• Be a lead in the creation, evolution, and ongoing management of research databases and data sets, as well as the tools and technologies to support those databases;
• Work with the Data and Interactives team in an agile manner to produce innovative interactive projects, focusing on how to store and serve data;
• Participate in editorial brainstorming meetings to identify, discuss and plan projects similar to the annual Almanac, How America Gives, Philanthropy 400, executive compensation packages, and The Adjunct Project.
• 3 – 5 years of experience in research database management;
• Fluent in using SQL and other database technologies to collect, analyze, and prepare high-integrity data to Chronicle journalists and interactive developers;
• Experience in designing and implementing database environments for efficient data collection and analysis of longitudinal information;
• Experience leading data management and modeling best practices;
• Experience in preparing and staging data for use in online interactives or for access via APIs;
• Experience with data collection, management, and presentation tools, such as Vovici, Qualtrics, D3.js, etc., is a plus;
• Familiarity with higher education or nonprofit/990 tax return data is a plus;
• Strong analytical skills and knowledge of basic statistical concepts and their application in business contexts;
• Work well in a collaborative team environment.
• B.S. in Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Database Developer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world.
We're looking for a technology leader for our Innovation Lab to work with The Chronicle's
journalists, technologists, and business teams to create interactive and dynamic information-driven products. The Application Development Manager must inspire a product team to foster innovation, and must love to create fast, scalable code. The leader will work closely with the award-winning data and interactives team at The Chronicle.
The Chronicle Innovation Lab is where editorial, business, and technology teams create products and the key technology innovations that support them. These products range from big data news apps to new tools that make our journalism more compelling and useful to readers. The Innovation Lab also leads experimentation with new digital media frameworks and platforms. (You can see what this group has already created at http://philanthropy.com/americagives http://adjunct.chronicle.com/).
• Drive powerful collaborations of technologists and editorial teams to create innovative products for our audiences.
• Collaborate with our business departments on company priorities involving audience development and revenue.
• Collaborate with other technology team leaders on company best practices.
• Lead small, agile teams to create great applications and solve tough technology problems.
• Keep abreast of new technologies and implement these features into our microsites or standalone products when the technology suits our needs.
• Work closely with the editorial staff and data and interactives team to shape products developed by the Innovation Lab.
• Develop tools and templates to support a fast-paced news environment and create sustainable, repeatable design implementations.
• Seven years of CMS, CRM and architectural experience, with some project management experience.
• Experience with digital media technology and applications, especially with progressive data and journalistic applications.
• Experience collaborating with editorial and business teams to understand their needs and create great solutions.
• Expertise with dynamic Web publishing and database technologies.
• Currency with new, innovative technologies.
• Experience as a problem solver with strategic and analytical capabilities.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience with effective ways for journalists and technologists to do great work together.
• Knowledge and experience using GIT and AWS technologies.
• Self-driven, independent, with a healthy disrespect for the impossible.
• Experience working at a news organization is a plus.
• Experience working with marketing, audience development and advertising departments is a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, journalism or related field.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application Development Manager, Chronicle Innovation Lab” in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a Network & System Administrator to join our network operations team. The network operations team provides essential support for The Chronicle’s network infrastructure, resolving issues related to all technical aspects of the network.
The Network & System Administrator (Administrator) is responsible for maintaining first-class systems to meet The Chronicle’s needs. This includes administration of The Chronicle’s network, as well as maintaining security, servers, firewalls, routers, disaster recovery site and associated projects. The position involves providing quick responses, and timely and accurate resolutions to service issues. The Administrator must frequently anticipate problems and analyze ways to mitigate risk. The Administrator should be able to effectively communicate business significance and organizational impact of advanced technical and non-technical information. This position affects change within its sphere of influence and leads to the development of innovative improvements.
• Build and deploy Windows and Linux physical and virtual servers using industry best practices.
• Maintain, administer and diagnose hardware and software across the network and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
• Acquire and install upgrades, updates, patches, and service packs, minimizing impact and downtime.
• Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
• Monitor security, usage and performance logs, identify problems, and recommend and implement solutions.
• Conduct work during non-standard business hours as needed to support The Chronicle’s production and work schedule.
• Monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot data replication process between The Chronicle’s DC and DR sites.
• Experience with Windows 2003/2008/2012 Server utilizing VMware, Terminal Services, and Citrix Metaframe in an Active Directory environment.
• Experience with Microsoft Exchange server administration.
• General knowledge of Linux, UNIX, and/or Apple OS X operating systems.
• Expertise to configure and maintain Cisco switches, routers, and firewalls.
• Experience with Oracle, SQL and MySQL preferred.
• Experience with Cloud-based services including Amazon Web Services preferred.
• Background with PCI and other security standards helpful.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills to work effectively with staff and vendors.
• Effective verbal and written skills and the ability to write technical documentation for non-technical users.
Education & Education:
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience required. A MCSA or MCSE certification preferred.
• At least 5-7 year’s work experience supporting a 200+ user, multi-server, multi-platform LAN/WAN environment.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Network Administrator" in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a personable Inside Advertising Sales Associate. This position will make outbound calls to grow our recruitment advertising clients of The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy and produce print and web advertising. This is a great opportunity to work in an inside sales role with clients globally regarding all aspects of print and digital recruitment advertising. In this role you will need to identify revenue opportunities and advise clients on The Chronicle's advertising products and services in order to maximize revenue and increase sales, all while providing top-notch customer service.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Make outbound calls/cold calling for our Chronicle of Philanthropy web packages and Chronicle of Higher Education print contracts to clients.
• Serve as key point of contact for clients with Chronicle of Philanthropy web packages and Chronicle of Higher Education print contracts and renew packages as they expire.
• Meet established sales goals and outbound call KPIs.
• Be fully knowledgeable and conversant about all aspects of advertising in The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, including ad placement, appropriate job categories, ad types and sizes, recruitment ads in print and online, image ads, banner ads, Employer Profiles, job alert e-mails, supplements, and all other recruitment-advertising services.
• Process ads through ad booker from Salesforce.com and adbase-e.
• Maintain high standard of accuracy in all activities and meet required deadlines.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and enjoy building relationships with customers. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and thrive in a deadline driven environment. 1-3 years' experience in inside sales or outbound calling experience and 1-3 years' experience in customer service or building customer relationships is required. Familiarity with Salesforce.com and experience in deadline driven environment is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Inside Advertising Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an Interactive News Producer to join its Data & Interactives team, which works with both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy. The Interactive News Producer will create large- and small-scale projects that help The Chronicle effectively present news and data online. Using the latest web technologies, the producer will create engaging and informative data-driven news applications and multimedia narrative stories in collaboration with other members of the Data & Interactives team, reporters, and editors in both Chronicle newsrooms and with Chronicle's technology group.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Work with Chronicle editors and reporters and with Chronicle technology staff to plan, design, develop, and promote interactive projects that will help us present complex information and data online.
• Produce innovative and effective news applications and multimedia narratives in an iterative fashion.
• Plan and execute online editorial projects, set milestones and deadlines, and collaborate with editors to set goals for these projects.
• Work with the database reporters to analyze and visualize data for use in interactive news projects.
• Consult with editors and other editorial staff to determine appropriate visualizations and other content for print editions.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Interactive News Producer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.