Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Senior Software Engineer | User Interface Developer | Office & Facilities Manager | Inside Advertising Sales Associate | Marketing Manager | Dev/Ops Engineer | Business Solutions Analyst | Web Producer | News Apps Developer
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Senior Software Engineer who is passionate about building our dynamic next-generation of web-based applications while evolving the current platform. The Chronicle was among the world's first publication to use computer-based authoring, typesetting, and publishing and was also the first newspaper on the Internet. What will be the next big thing as a service for academe? We know; and we are looking for superior talent to get us there.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, creative, and can deliver rapid prototypes for new user interfaces and interactions for various online projects. The ideal candidate will collaborate with business owners to translate complex business initiatives into innovative solutions. A can-do-attitude, with the ability to energize and work with cross-functional teams is required.
• Develop features across multiple subsystems within our applications, including collaboration in requirements definition, prototyping, design, coding, testing and deployment
• Provide engineering support (when necessary) to our technical operations staff when they are building, deploying, configuring and supporting systems for customers
• Investigate, analyze and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades and modifications
• Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
• Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems to form a basis for the solution of information processing problems.
• Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements to task specifications for junior programmers.
• Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
• Support and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities
• 8+ years in object-oriented PHP programming
• Over eight years of experience in requirement analysis, design, development and implementation in OOD/OOP technologies
• LAMP application programming/integration experience
• Proficiency in source code management practices, preferably Git or GitLab.
• Understands how to consume REST services utilizing JSON, JSONP, and XML.
• 6+ years' experience developing data-driven applications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with any or all of the following highly desirable: MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server)
• 8+ years' experience building web-based software systems, utilizing N-tier architectures, dynamic content, highly-scalable approaches, and complex security models/implementations
• Proficiency developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run in mixed-environments including Linux, Unix and/or Windows
• End-to-end development experience is a must, Ruby experience is a plus.
• Previous experience mentoring junior developers.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Software Engineer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Are you a self-starter looking to use your UI design skills to create real-world applications and tools?
We're looking for a UI Developer to join our Lab team and work closely with the Data & Interactives and the UX teams. The UI Developer would create a quality user experience across a variety of platforms and clients.
You'll be working with an award-winning media organization that provides news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
• Design and aid in the implementation of the UX for apps, sites, and tools for internal & external users
• Work closely with the UX team to establish and maintain UI/UX standards across all products
• Adhere to best practices and RWD principles
• Proficient in mockup and prototyping in HTML5/CSS as well as Photoshop
• Interaction design / wireframing / storyboarding
• Familiarity coding with some of the major UI frameworks (bootstrap, et al)
• A strong interest in Usability and UX research as well as testing
• Responsive web design, mobile design, web standards, etc.
• SCSS / LESS / SASS
• Previous UI / UX experience, usability testing
• Familiarity with front-end development environments and version control systems
Education & Experience:
• College degree or equivalent and 1-2 years' experience
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "UI Developer" in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education, an innovative media company, seeks an Office & Facilities Manager to manage a 50,000 SF office for 200 staff members. We’re looking for someone with a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible facilities and office management experience that includes staff supervision.
The Office & Facilities Manager will be responsible for oversight of office functions to include facilities maintenance, purchasing, construction and office planning, reception, shipping and receiving, and catering and events. The position supervises a 3-person team and works collaboratively with the Chief, HR and Administration. This group works across the organization to provide a well-maintained and effective work place and effectively manage the costs and resources required to support office operations.
Desired Education, Experience, and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible facilities and office management experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Supervisory experience. Must be able to organize and lead a team of office workers.
• Self-motivated, strong attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Ability to work collaboratively with others in a service oriented environment
• Excellent budgeting, planning and decision-making ability to define and meet performance requirements.
Interested candidates should send a letter of introduction, résumé, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every résumé that is submitted will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly. No phone calls please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a high-energy Inside Advertising Sales Associate to join our Recruitment Advertising team. This position will make outbound calls and manage inbound calls to grow our recruitment advertising clients of The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy and produce print and web advertising. This is a great opportunity to work in an inside sales role with clients globally regarding all aspects of print and digital recruitment advertising. In this role you will need to identify revenue opportunities and advise clients on The Chronicle's advertising products and services in order to maximize revenue and increase sales, all while providing top-notch customer service.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Make outbound calls/cold calling for our Chronicle of Philanthropy web packages and Chronicle of Higher Education print contracts to clients.
• Serve as key point of contact for clients with Chronicle of Philanthropy web packages and Chronicle of Higher Education print contracts and renew packages as they expire.
• Meet established sales.
• Be fully knowledgeable and conversant about all aspects of advertising in The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, including ad placement, appropriate job categories, ad types and sizes, recruitment ads in print and online.
• Process ads through ad booker from Salesforce.com and adbase-e.
• Maintain high standard of accuracy in all activities and meet required deadlines.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and enjoy building relationships with customers. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and thrive in a deadline driven environment. 1-3 years' experience in inside sales or outbound calling experience and 1-3 years' experience in customer service or building customer relationships is required. Familiarity with Salesforce.com is strongly preferred. Publishing sales experience preferred but not required.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Inside Advertising Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Marketing Manager to oversee the creation, execution, and operational effectiveness of all campaign activities to meet performance goals and maximize revenue for The Chronicle of Higher Education. The Marketing Manager will manage large and small campaigns from conception through completion using a project management approach, ensuring efficient use of all team resources and achievement of project goals within given timelines.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Manage the planning, content development, and execution of inbound and outbound marketing campaigns to generate quality leads.
• Generate creative campaign concepts for online and print products to support content marketing, sales enablement, and revenue generation initiatives.
• Develop a robust content marketing strategy that drives deeper engagement among target personas with our brands and products.
• Act as a key stakeholder within marketing team on the expansion of online and mobile marketing channels including social media to reach target audiences.
• Help establish a metrics-driven culture within the department and measure performance of all campaign activities, using results to improve future efforts.
• Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and optimizing all marketing and advertising projects with the goal of increasing response rates, leads and sales conversions.
• Manage 2 direct reports establishing clear development plans, which include S.M.A.R.T. goals, quarterly progress reports, and frequent and ongoing coaching of staff.
The ideal candidate should have demonstrated track record in executing integrated campaigns in a variety of mediums including social media. Candidates must have a strong understanding of ROI-oriented marketing, including a track record in executing integrated marketing campaigns. A Bachelor's degree and 4-6 years of experience in a product or campaign marketing role required, preferably with 2 years working in a publishing/media environment. Must have at least 2 years of previous supervisory experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle has a unique opportunity for a Business Solutions Analyst who will take an entrepreneurial perspective on improving business practices within an organization facing exciting new market opportunities. You will take both an advisory and a tactical role in configuring and integrating our technology systems, and will promote positive change through an in-depth understanding of how we can use technology to maximize efficiency and revenue generation.
The Business Solutions Analyst is both a business and a systems analyst on the Business Solutions Team. The Team works with Sales, Marketing, Accounting, and IT to define, design, build, test, and deploy business processes and systems. Your role will be to participate in all project phases, and to lead requirements analysis, design, testing, training, reporting, change management planning, and documentation. You will advise the business on “the art of the possible” and promote methods they can use to drive adoption of their applications.
A successful candidate is curious about new technologies, and how they promote business success. An ideal candidate is ambitious, inquisitive, consistently seeks feedback, and inspires the business to think critically about decisions beyond what our technical solutions have to offer.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
• Identify opportunities for business efficiency and drive solutions to completion.
• Stay abreast of current technology trends, and make recommendations based on your insights.
• Maintain expertise not only of publishing and media, but also of the legacy systems in use (Mactive).
• Monitor industry best practices, technology, and market trends, against our challenges to enable conversion from legacy software to market leading, emerging products like SalesForce and Eloqua.
• Support the development team in completing projects in an Agile/Scrum environment. Create User story definitions, test cases and bug resolution.
Education: 4 year College Degree, preferably in a technical field of study. Certification in specific tools, CRM, Project Management, Business Requirements Analysis, Agile/Scrum, UML is a plus.
Experience: 4 -6 years of technical business requirements analysis experience or experience in a similar role. Strong background in software projects, having participated in at least 3 full-cycle deployments. Knowledge of data structures and the impacts of data decisions, using databases such as Oracle, SQL, and other like tools is desired. Candidates must have experience implementing packaged software solutions, such as SalesForce CRM, Eloqua, NewsCycle/Mactive, HCM solutions, SCM Solutions, Oracle Solutions. Must be capable of manipulating reporting tools such as Excel and Crystal Reports. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Business Solutions Analyst" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Do you have a strong visual sense? Want to make a powerful impact on the non-profit world?
The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks a Web Producer to join our dynamic team of reporters, researchers, and online journalists. You’ll work closely with The Chronicle’s editorial and online teams in Washington, D.C., to collect and present information on Philanthropy.com and our email newsletters.
We’re looking for someone with a strong attention to detail, a sharp visual eye, and a flair for presenting information online.
Key responsibilities include:
• Update the website by posting new stories, managing their presentation, and creating collections of content that help users navigate the site.
• Acquire and publish photos for the website. This includes working closely with our visuals team to take photos and work with other sources to obtain photos for use online.
• Manage the Chronicle’s social-media presence by scheduling posts, interacting with readers, and tracking social-media performance.
• Moderate comments from users on The Chronicle website.
• Export and manage content that originally appears in The Chronicle’s print edition.
• Occasionally report on trends in the nonprofit world and create practical content for a professional audience.
• Occasionally create audio and video stories, and create small data visualizations to accompany stories.
Experience with photography and proven knack for visual storytelling is required. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of HTML and CSS and experience working with content management systems. They will also have experience creating, editing and producing online audio and video using programs such as Final Cut and Audacity.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years working in an online newsroom. Experience in the nonprofit world – any aspect of it, such as arts, education, social change —is a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Web Producer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a News Apps Developer to join its Data & Interactives team, which works with both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy. The News Apps Developer will create large- and small-scale projects that help The Chronicle effectively present news and data online. Using the latest web technologies, the developer will create engaging and informative data-driven news applications and multimedia narrative stories in collaboration with other members of the Data & Interactives team, reporters, and editors in both Chronicle newsrooms and with Chronicle's technology group.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Work with Chronicle editors and reporters and with Chronicle technology staff to plan, design, develop, and promote interactive projects that will help us present complex information and data online.
• Produce innovative and effective news applications and multimedia narratives in an iterative fashion.
• Plan and execute online editorial projects, set milestones and deadlines, and collaborate with editors to set goals for these projects.
• Work with the database reporters to analyze and visualize data for use in interactive news projects.
• Consult with editors and other editorial staff to determine appropriate visualizations and other content for print editions.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "News Apps Developer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.