Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Senior Manager, Communications | Database Developer | Application Development Manager, Innovation Lab | Network & System Administrator | Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising | Director of Sales Operations, Recruitment Advertising | Reporter | Web News Writer
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative, business-savvy Senior Communications Manager to make an impact in our marketing strategies within the higher education, non-profit, and publishing communities! The Senior Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Marketing Communications and Managing Director of Audience Development and senior business and editorial leadership to develop and execute a robust, multi-faced communications program to increase the visibility of The Chronicle of Higher Education's brands, products, editorial coverage, and executive leadership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Working with key business and editorial stakeholders to implement strategic PR programs to achieve specified business outcomes as well as significant increases in awareness for all brands and products as measured by brand sentiment and survey tools.
• Conducting proactive outreach to national media outlets and key contacts in print, radio, television, and online media to establish The Chronicle as a reliable source for expert opinion on higher education and non-profit issues.
• Identifying and processing award submissions for higher education, non-profit, and publishing recognition in order to create positive press for The Chronicle.
The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and execute tactically. A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, journalism or equivalent field of study and 5-10 years of experience in media relations is required. Knowledge of the higher education industry with recent relevant job experience and contacts highly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Senior Communications Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Database Developer who will help build, operate, and refine the company’s foundational data technologies and advance our data management processes. The Database Developer with work with a team of data journalists, designers, and web developers to create great stories and news applications through data. The Chronicle, an organization which provides award-winning news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world, is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
• Be a lead in the creation, evolution, and ongoing management of research databases and data sets, as well as the tools and technologies to support those databases;
• Lead the implementation of tools and establishment of best practices for collecting data via both online surveys and public/private database procurement;
• Develop our platforms and tools to make it better and easier to collect and manage data;
• Build out APIs and web interfaces that will draw from and publish to Chronicle databases;
• Work with the Data and Interactives team in an agile manner to produce innovative interactive projects, focusing on how to store and serve data;
• Participate in editorial brainstorming meetings to identify, discuss and plan projects similar to the annual Almanac, How America Gives, Philanthropy 400, executive compensation packages, and The Adjunct Project.
1. 3 – 5 years of experience in research database management;
2. Fluent in using SQL and other database technologies to collect, analyze, and prepare high-integrity data to Chronicle journalists and interactive developers;
3. 2 – 3 years of PHP experience;
4. Experience with AWS, Linux OS, and GitLab preferred;
5. Experience with the development and support of database APIs ideally via RESTful services;
6. Experience in designing and implementing database environments for efficient data collection and analysis of longitudinal information;
7. Experience leading data management and modeling best practices;
9. Experience in preparing and staging data for use in online interactives or for access via APIs;
10. Experience with data collection, management, and presentation tools, such as Vovici, Qualtrics, D3.js, etc., is a plus;
11. Familiarity with higher education or nonprofit/990 tax return data is a plus;
12. Strong analytical skills and knowledge of basic statistical concepts and their application in business contexts;
13. Work well in a collaborative team environment.
1. B.S. in Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Database Developer" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world.
We're looking for a technology leader for our Innovation Lab to work with The Chronicle's
journalists, technologists, and business teams to create interactive and dynamic information-driven products. The Application Development Manager must inspire a product team to foster innovation, and must love to create fast, scalable code. The leader will work closely with the award-winning data and interactives team at The Chronicle.
The Chronicle Innovation Lab is where editorial, business, and technology teams create products and the key technology innovations that support them. These products range from big data news apps to new tools that make our journalism more compelling and useful to readers. The Innovation Lab also leads experimentation with new digital media frameworks and platforms. (You can see what this group has already created at http://philanthropy.com/americagives http://adjunct.chronicle.com/).
• Drive powerful collaborations of technologists and editorial teams to create innovative products for our audiences.
• Collaborate with our business departments on company priorities involving audience development and revenue.
• Collaborate with other technology team leaders on company best practices.
• Lead small, agile teams to create great applications and solve tough technology problems.
• Keep abreast of new technologies and implement these features into our microsites or standalone products when the technology suits our needs.
• Work closely with the editorial staff and data and interactives team to shape products developed by the Innovation Lab.
• Develop tools and templates to support a fast-paced news environment and create sustainable, repeatable design implementations.
• Seven years of CMS, CRM and architectural experience, with some project management experience.
• Experience with digital media technology and applications, especially with progressive data and journalistic applications.
• Experience collaborating with editorial and business teams to understand their needs and create great solutions.
• Expertise with dynamic Web publishing and database technologies.
• Currency with new, innovative technologies.
• Experience as a problem solver with strategic and analytical capabilities.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience with effective ways for journalists and technologists to do great work together.
• Knowledge and experience using GIT and AWS technologies.
• Self-driven, independent, with a healthy disrespect for the impossible.
• Experience working at a news organization is a plus.
• Experience working with marketing, audience development and advertising departments is a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, journalism or related field.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Application Development Manager, Chronicle Innovation Lab” in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a Network & System Administrator to join our network operations team. The network operations team provides essential support for The Chronicle’s network infrastructure, resolving issues related to all technical aspects of the network.
The Network & System Administrator (Administrator) is responsible for maintaining first-class systems to meet The Chronicle’s needs. This includes administration of The Chronicle’s network, as well as maintaining security, servers, firewalls, routers, disaster recovery site and associated projects. The position involves providing quick responses, and timely and accurate resolutions to service issues. The Administrator must frequently anticipate problems and analyze ways to mitigate risk. The Administrator should be able to effectively communicate business significance and organizational impact of advanced technical and non-technical information. This position affects change within its sphere of influence and leads to the development of innovative improvements.
• Build and deploy Windows and Linux physical and virtual servers using industry best practices.
• Maintain, administer and diagnose hardware and software across the network and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
• Acquire and install upgrades, updates, patches, and service packs, minimizing impact and downtime.
• Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
• Monitor security, usage and performance logs, identify problems, and recommend and implement solutions.
• Conduct work during non-standard business hours as needed to support The Chronicle’s production and work schedule.
• Monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot data replication process between The Chronicle’s DC and DR sites.
• Experience with Windows 2003/2008/2012 Server utilizing VMware, Terminal Services, and Citrix Metaframe in an Active Directory environment.
• Experience with Microsoft Exchange server administration.
• General knowledge of Linux, UNIX, and/or Apple OS X operating systems.
• Expertise to configure and maintain Cisco switches, routers, and firewalls.
• Experience with Oracle, SQL and MySQL preferred.
• Experience with Cloud-based services including Amazon Web Services preferred.
• Background with PCI and other security standards helpful.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills to work effectively with staff and vendors.
• Effective verbal and written skills and the ability to write technical documentation for non-technical users.
Education & Education:
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience required. A MCSA or MCSE certification preferred.
• At least 5-7 year’s work experience supporting a 200+ user, multi-server, multi-platform LAN/WAN environment.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Network Administrator" in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising to make an impact in our marketing strategies! This position will be essential in managing and supporting the development of original, inventive product marketing strategies for our corporate and image advertising product lines. The Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Market Strategy in developing marketing strategies for products for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle Philanthropy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead for gathering research for the product development team, approximately 25% of total workload.
• Assist in the timely development of comprehensive marketing strategies to generate leads among prospective and existing advertising clients to meet corporate and image advertising goals.
• Ensure a consistent approach to tracking, gathering, and applying metrics to the product marketing process to evaluate marketing success.
• Collaborate with Marketing Director(s) and key sales stakeholders to analyze and apply research and metrics to marketing strategies.
• Conduct market and competitive analysis to determine buyer requirements and new and enhanced product needs.
• Participate in the evaluation of product life cycles by preparing product reports (revenue, trends, etc.) that provide actionable recommendations on product positioning, pricing, promotion and competitive strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter who will be able to work effectively with a variety of people at all levels. A Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of experience in marketing is required, focus on market research and analysis is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Product Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a business-savvy Director of Sales Operations and Production to serve as a key leader and manager of our inside sales recruitment-advertising, production, and layout department. The Director will be responsible for maximizing and increasing recruitment revenue for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy by providing direction and oversight to the recruitment inside sales associates. This position will be essential working closely with the Managing Director to develop strategies to maximize recruitment sales and grow revenue.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for creating and implementing revenue-generating initiatives for both CHE and COP
• Provides weekly, monthly, and quarterly revenue reports
• Oversees overall management of Team Supervisors, Inside Sales Advertising Team and Production team
• Work with the Team Supervisors to ensure KPI's and sales goals are met, maintain a high level of customer service, and production goals are met and/or exceeded
• Take leadership role in assessing, developing, and implementing strategic business partnerships (i.e., network partnerships)
• Provide analysis of trending, sales activities, and general effectiveness for sales initiatives and productivity
• Work closely with technology to oversee and manage Mactive and Salesforce used by the recruitment team
The ideal candidate should have demonstrated enthusiasm for recruitment advertising, with a strong working knowledge of concepts and protocols. A Bachelor's degree and 7-10 years of advertising experience in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment required, preferably with 2 years' experience working in publishing, higher education, or recruitment or media environment. Salesforce and Mactive experience preferred but not required. Must have 5-7 years' experience in leadership role directly managing others. MBA preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Sales" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks an entry-level journalist to produce stories and multimedia primarily for its website, with an emphasis on covering technology, social media, and fundraising at nonprofit organizations. We're looking for someone who has a sharp eye for spotting trends and ideas and who is able to write quickly and produce compelling original content.
The reporter will also plan and host our popular weekly live discussion series, including a growing number of live video discussions.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of professional reporting experience and must demonstrate strong skills in writing headlines and teases for online content that take advantage of the best in search-engine optimization practices. Applicants should have experience in building community through social-media networks and be comfortable working in content management systems.
A Bachelor's degree is required. Previous experience doing paid or volunteer work at a nonprofit is a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Reporter" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for a smart, technically savvy Web News Writer to be the constant eyes and ears for the newsroom on what is being reported about higher education each day.
The Web News Writer is the principal author of our breaking news blog, The Ticker, and coordinates with the web producers and the web editor to report on the latest news on Chronicle.com. She or he regularly checks wire services and searches the Internet for news that may be of interest to The Chronicle audience and the newsroom.
The right person for the job has great news judgment skills, is confident exercising them each day, and finds tight deadlines exciting. Flexible scheduling, comfort with change, and embracing technology comes with the territory.
If the above information describes you, and you have three or more years of experience, let's get the process started. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.