Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Are you a self-starter looking to use your UI design skills to create real-world applications and tools?
We're looking for a UI Developer to join our Lab team and work closely with the Data & Interactives and the UX teams. The UI Developer would create a quality user experience across a variety of platforms and clients.
You'll be working with an award-winning media organization that provides news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
• Design and aid in the implementation of the UX for apps, sites, and tools for internal & external users
• Work closely with the UX team to establish and maintain UI/UX standards across all products
• Adhere to best practices and RWD principles
• Proficient in mockup and prototyping in HTML5/CSS as well as Photoshop
• Interaction design / wireframing / storyboarding
• Familiarity coding with some of the major UI frameworks (bootstrap, et al)
• A strong interest in Usability and UX research as well as testing
• Responsive web design, mobile design, web standards, etc.
• SCSS / LESS / SASS
• Previous UI / UX experience, usability testing
• Familiarity with front-end development environments and version control systems
Education & Experience:
• College degree or equivalent and 1-2 years' experience
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "UI Developer" in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Marketing Manager to oversee the creation, execution, and operational effectiveness of all campaign activities to meet performance goals and maximize revenue for The Chronicle of Higher Education. The Marketing Manager will manage large and small campaigns from conception through completion using a project management approach, ensuring efficient use of all team resources and achievement of project goals within given timelines.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Manage the planning, content development, and execution of inbound and outbound marketing campaigns to generate quality leads.
• Generate creative campaign concepts for online and print products to support content marketing, sales enablement, and revenue generation initiatives.
• Develop a robust content marketing strategy that drives deeper engagement among target personas with our brands and products.
• Act as a key stakeholder within marketing team on the expansion of online and mobile marketing channels including social media to reach target audiences.
• Help establish a metrics-driven culture within the department and measure performance of all campaign activities, using results to improve future efforts.
• Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and optimizing all marketing and advertising projects with the goal of increasing response rates, leads and sales conversions.
• Manage 2 direct reports establishing clear development plans, which include S.M.A.R.T. goals, quarterly progress reports, and frequent and ongoing coaching of staff.
The ideal candidate should have demonstrated track record in executing integrated campaigns in a variety of mediums including social media. Candidates must have a strong understanding of ROI-oriented marketing, including a track record in executing integrated marketing campaigns. A Bachelor's degree and 4-6 years of experience in a product or campaign marketing role required, preferably with 2 years working in a publishing/media environment. Must have at least 2 years of previous supervisory experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Product Marketing Manager to join its Washington, DC based Marketing team. The Product Marketing Manager manages and supports the development of product marketing strategies that maximize revenue-generation for the Hiring Solutions product line. This position reports to the Director, Market Strategy for Hiring Solutions and collaborates closely with key sales stakeholders and the rest of the marketing team.
• Assist in the timely development of comprehensive marketing strategies to generate leads among prospective and existing advertising clients to meet Hiring Solutions goals. Act as project lead for developing marketing strategies for special reports and supplements.
• Help develop and fine-tune core messaging for use across all marketing channels.
• Artfully manage hand-offs with marketing communications to ensure strategic messaging and successful execution and trackable results of products. Manage the dissemination of market research to the sales teams.
• With the assistance of the Director of Product Marketing, develop keen understanding for Hiring Solutions sales team needs and assist in the creation of sales enablement tools for Hiring Solutions team.
• Monitor trends in higher education hiring practices and job advertising that are relevant to all personas (job seekers and posters).
• Conduct market and competitive analysis to determine buyer requirements and new and enhanced product needs.
• Participate in all aspects of product launches, including development of go-to-market strategies, product presentations, sales training and the development of event materials.
• Assist in developing and maintaining product and project roadmaps and development plans.
• Participate in the evaluation of product life cycles by preparing product reports (revenue, trends, etc.) that provide actionable recommendations on product positioning, pricing, promotion, and competitive strategy.
The ideal candidate will be strategic, highly-analytical, and knowledgeable in standard research methodologies, data analysis techniques, and marketing procedures. They will also be team focused, innovative, have a keen eye for detail, possess excellent communication skills, have a passion for product marketing, and dedication to the success of the organization.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in marketing or business.
• 3-5 years of experience in product marketing, with a focus on market research and analysis strongly preferred.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, CRM database-Salesforce.com.
• Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel.
The Chronicle is located in a newly renovated office in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits, including 24 paid vacation days a year.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Product Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Our newsroom is awash in data — nonprofit financial statements, endowments, executive salaries, federal grants, IRS tax data, college graduation rates and more — and we need someone to help us organize and make sense of it all. We're seeking an entry-level database reporter to join our newsroom in Washington, D.C.
We're looking for someone who can work with reporters across the newsroom, collaborating on individual stories, proposing new projects, and maintaining existing databases. The reporter will coordinate several of our high-profile annual projects, including our widely-cited surveys of top nonprofits and college executive, and will collaborate with designers and developers on data presentations. This reporter will also be a resource to others in The Chronicle who are interested in advancing technical skills related to computer-assisted reporting.
The ideal candidate loves finding, gathering, and analyzing data to tell important stories, has an interest in the non-profit and higher education worlds, and is eager to use digital platforms to engage with readers.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of 3-5 years’ experience in database reporting.
• Ability to write clear and accurate stories.
• In-depth knowledge of a range of computer-assisted reporting tools, especially MySQL and Excel.
• Outstanding attention to detail is a must.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, and links to work examples to email@example.com.