Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Senior Manager, Communications | Application Development Manager, Innovation Lab | Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising | Reporter | Senior Manager, Marketing Campaigns | Graphic Designer|
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative, business-savvy Senior Communications Manager to make an impact in our marketing strategies within the higher education, non-profit, and publishing communities! The Senior Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Marketing Communications and Managing Director of Audience Development and senior business and editorial leadership to develop and execute a robust, multi-faced communications program to increase the visibility of The Chronicle of Higher Education's brands, products, editorial coverage, and executive leadership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Working with key business and editorial stakeholders to implement strategic PR programs to achieve specified business outcomes as well as significant increases in awareness for all brands and products as measured by brand sentiment and survey tools.
• Conducting proactive outreach to national media outlets and key contacts in print, radio, television, and online media to establish The Chronicle as a reliable source for expert opinion on higher education and non-profit issues.
• Identifying and processing award submissions for higher education, non-profit, and publishing recognition in order to create positive press for The Chronicle.
The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and execute tactically. A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, journalism or equivalent field of study and 5-10 years of experience in media relations is required. Knowledge of the higher education industry with recent relevant job experience and contacts highly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Senior Communications Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to professionals on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world.
We're looking for a technology leader for our Innovation Lab to work with The Chronicle's
journalists, technologists, and business teams to create interactive and dynamic information-driven products. The Application Development Manager must inspire a product team to foster innovation, and must love to create fast, scalable code. The leader will work closely with the award-winning data and interactives team at The Chronicle.
The Chronicle Innovation Lab is where editorial, business, and technology teams create products and the key technology innovations that support them. These products range from big data news apps to new tools that make our journalism more compelling and useful to readers. The Innovation Lab also leads experimentation with new digital media frameworks and platforms. (You can see what this group has already created at http://philanthropy.com/americagives http://adjunct.chronicle.com/).
• Drive powerful collaborations of technologists and editorial teams to create innovative products for our audiences.
• Collaborate with our business departments on company priorities involving audience development and revenue.
• Collaborate with other technology team leaders on company best practices.
• Lead small, agile teams to create great applications and solve tough technology problems.
• Keep abreast of new technologies and implement these features into our microsites or standalone products when the technology suits our needs.
• Work closely with the editorial staff and data and interactives team to shape products developed by the Innovation Lab.
• Develop tools and templates to support a fast-paced news environment and create sustainable, repeatable design implementations.
• Seven years of CMS, CRM and architectural experience, with some project management experience.
• Experience with digital media technology and applications, especially with progressive data and journalistic applications.
• Experience collaborating with editorial and business teams to understand their needs and create great solutions.
• Expertise with dynamic Web publishing and database technologies.
• Currency with new, innovative technologies.
• Experience as a problem solver with strategic and analytical capabilities.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience with effective ways for journalists and technologists to do great work together.
• Knowledge and experience using GIT and AWS technologies.
• Self-driven, independent, with a healthy disrespect for the impossible.
• Experience working at a news organization is a plus.
• Experience working with marketing, audience development and advertising departments is a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, journalism or related field.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application Development Manager, Chronicle Innovation Lab” in the subject heading. Candidates who fail to supply all three aforementioned materials will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising to make an impact in our marketing strategies! This position will be essential in managing and supporting the development of original, inventive product marketing strategies for our corporate and image advertising product lines. The Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Market Strategy in developing marketing strategies for products for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle Philanthropy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead for gathering research for the product development team, approximately 25% of total workload.
• Assist in the timely development of comprehensive marketing strategies to generate leads among prospective and existing advertising clients to meet corporate and image advertising goals.
• Ensure a consistent approach to tracking, gathering, and applying metrics to the product marketing process to evaluate marketing success.
• Collaborate with Marketing Director(s) and key sales stakeholders to analyze and apply research and metrics to marketing strategies.
• Conduct market and competitive analysis to determine buyer requirements and new and enhanced product needs.
• Participate in the evaluation of product life cycles by preparing product reports (revenue, trends, etc.) that provide actionable recommendations on product positioning, pricing, promotion and competitive strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter who will be able to work effectively with a variety of people at all levels. A Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in marketing is required, focus on market research and analysis is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Product Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks an early career journalist to produce stories and multimedia primarily for its website, with an emphasis on covering technology, social media, and fundraising at nonprofit organizations. We're looking for someone who has a sharp eye for spotting trends and ideas and who is able to write quickly and produce compelling original content.
The reporter will also plan and host our popular weekly live discussion series, including a growing number of live video discussions.
The ideal candidate will have at least 1-3 years of professional reporting experience and must demonstrate strong skills in writing headlines and teases for online content that take advantage of the best in search-engine optimization practices. Applicants should have experience in building community through social-media networks and be comfortable working in content management systems.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Previous experience doing paid or volunteer work at a nonprofit is a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Reporter" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented marketer as Senior Manager, Marketing Campaigns to manage major campaigns from conception through completion to meet performance goals and maximize revenue. Working under the direction of the Director of Marketing Communications, the Senior Manager will execute high-impact, sustainable, and fully integrated marketing campaigns that drive successful strategic business outcomes.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Manage the planning, content development, and execution of inbound and outbound marketing campaigns to generate quality leads.
• Generate creative campaign concepts for online and print products to support content marketing, sales enablement, and revenue generation initiatives.
• Develop a robust content marketing strategy that drives deeper engagement among target personas with our brands and products.
• Act as a key stakeholder within marketing team on the expansion of online and mobile marketing channels including social media to reach target audiences.
• Help establish a metrics-driven culture within the department and measure performance of all campaign activities, using results to improve future efforts.
• Develop and lead cross-functional analysis of campaigns to determine effectiveness and share findings across the organization and with senior leaders.
• Manage project schedules to ensure that deadlines are met, and provide weekly updates to senior management as appropriate.
• Lead creative brainstorming sessions, contributing ideas for campaigns, and encouraging active participation and creative problem solving from all team members.
The ideal candidate should have demonstrated track record in executing integrated campaigns in a variety of mediums including social media. Candidates must have a strong understanding of ROI-oriented marketing, including a track record in executing integrated marketing campaigns. A Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of experience in a product or campaign marketing role required, preferably with 2 years working in a publishing/media environment. Must have at least 2 years of previous supervisory experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Senior Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks a Graphic Designer to work in its Marketing department. Under the direction of the Creative Services Manager, this position will develop creative concepts and design marketing and promotional materials for both print and Web. The Graphic Designer will also conceptualize and design integrated promotional materials including house ads, signage, booth display graphics, and program guides for conferences and trade shows.
• Develops and recommends well thought out design solutions when working with other managers and team members to achieve marketing objectives.
• Creates and resizes weekly house ads and coordinates placement with multiple groups.
• Creates, assists and produces a variety of printed items including media kits, brochures, and insert sheets as well as signage, trade show booth graphics and handouts, large screen animations and presentations.
• Participates in creative brainstorming meetings, contributing ideas for new marketing and conference materials.
• Understanding of visual integration in communications branded materials.
• The independence to work with little direct supervision, but also as part of a team.
• Self-motivation to meet the demands of tight schedules and deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills in order to interact affectively with internal clients and outside vendors both in person and by telephone.
• The ability to understand oral and/or written instructions from supervisor and ensure brand continuity.
• Can work at a fast pace without compromising quality and value of the design work.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in graphic design (7 years preferred).
• Proficiency on the Mac and CS5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat).
• Strong knowledge of MS Office applications.
• Prefer candidates with good working knowledge of Adobe After Effects for animation as well as HTML coding for email/landing page creation.
• Experience working in an in-house marketing department or advertising agency preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Graphic Designer” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.