Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative, business-savvy Senior Communications Manager to make an impact in our marketing strategies within the higher education, non-profit, and publishing communities! The Senior Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Marketing Communications and Managing Director of Audience Development and senior business and editorial leadership to develop and execute a robust, multi-faced communications program to increase the visibility of The Chronicle of Higher Education's brands, products, editorial coverage, and executive leadership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Working with key business and editorial stakeholders to implement strategic PR programs to achieve specified business outcomes as well as significant increases in awareness for all brands and products as measured by brand sentiment and survey tools.
• Conducting proactive outreach to national media outlets and key contacts in print, radio, television, and online media to establish The Chronicle as a reliable source for expert opinion on higher education and non-profit issues.
• Identifying and processing award submissions for higher education, non-profit, and publishing recognition in order to create positive press for The Chronicle.
The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and execute tactically. A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, journalism or equivalent field of study and 5-10 years of experience in media relations is required. Knowledge of the higher education industry with recent relevant job experience and contacts highly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Senior Communications Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising to make an impact in our marketing strategies! This position will be essential in managing and supporting the development of original, inventive product marketing strategies for our corporate and image advertising product lines. The Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Market Strategy in developing marketing strategies for products for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle Philanthropy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead for gathering research for the product development team, approximately 25% of total workload.
• Assist in the timely development of comprehensive marketing strategies to generate leads among prospective and existing advertising clients to meet corporate and image advertising goals.
• Ensure a consistent approach to tracking, gathering, and applying metrics to the product marketing process to evaluate marketing success.
• Collaborate with Marketing Director(s) and key sales stakeholders to analyze and apply research and metrics to marketing strategies.
• Conduct market and competitive analysis to determine buyer requirements and new and enhanced product needs.
• Participate in the evaluation of product life cycles by preparing product reports (revenue, trends, etc.) that provide actionable recommendations on product positioning, pricing, promotion and competitive strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter who will be able to work effectively with a variety of people at all levels. A Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in marketing is required, focus on market research and analysis is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Product Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks an early career journalist to produce stories and multimedia primarily for its website, with an emphasis on covering technology, social media, and fundraising at nonprofit organizations. We're looking for someone who has a sharp eye for spotting trends and ideas and who is able to write quickly and produce compelling original content.
The reporter will also plan and host our popular weekly live discussion series, including a growing number of live video discussions.
The ideal candidate will have at least 1-3 years of professional reporting experience and must demonstrate strong skills in writing headlines and teases for online content that take advantage of the best in search-engine optimization practices. Applicants should have experience in building community through social-media networks and be comfortable working in content management systems.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Previous experience doing paid or volunteer work at a nonprofit is a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Reporter" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks a Graphic Designer to work in its Marketing department. Under the direction of the Creative Services Manager, this position will develop creative concepts and design marketing and promotional materials for both print and Web. The Graphic Designer will also conceptualize and design integrated promotional materials including house ads, signage, booth display graphics, and program guides for conferences and trade shows.
• Develops and recommends well thought out design solutions when working with other managers and team members to achieve marketing objectives.
• Creates and resizes weekly house ads and coordinates placement with multiple groups.
• Creates, assists and produces a variety of printed items including media kits, brochures, and insert sheets as well as signage, trade show booth graphics and handouts, large screen animations and presentations.
• Participates in creative brainstorming meetings, contributing ideas for new marketing and conference materials.
• Understanding of visual integration in communications branded materials.
• The independence to work with little direct supervision, but also as part of a team.
• Self-motivation to meet the demands of tight schedules and deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills in order to interact affectively with internal clients and outside vendors both in person and by telephone.
• The ability to understand oral and/or written instructions from supervisor and ensure brand continuity.
• Can work at a fast pace without compromising quality and value of the design work.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in graphic design (7 years preferred).
• Proficiency on the Mac and CS5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat).
• Strong knowledge of MS Office applications.
• Prefer candidates with good working knowledge of Adobe After Effects for animation as well as HTML coding for email/landing page creation.
• Experience working in an in-house marketing department or advertising agency preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Graphic Designer” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. Based in Washington, D.C., we offer a collaborative and flexible working environment with excellent benefits, including 24 paid vacation days a year.
We're looking for a dynamic individual to join our team as the Director of Business Solutions. In this role, your quest is to drive new revenue and business efficiency through our current technology portfolio as well as deliver a next generation of solutions for marketing, commerce, CRM, business intelligence, partner integration and advertising. These solutions help our staff manage the entire business life cycle – from prospect gathering to sales opportunity to business intelligence and support case management. You’ll be able to work closely with the leaders of our company in this critical role.
What you’ll do:
• Integrate ad and business systems strategy and development into the business by working closely with senior sales and operations management to understand system needs.
• Manage multiple strategic projects on both an on-going and an ad-hoc basis.
• Deliver business systems, infrastructure, and applications required to support the Enterprise organization, including development of strategy, user stories and systems requirements. Work with the director of user experience and technology architects on design specifications, data architecture, and operational processes.
• Create and drive the tactical and strategic development of our Enterprise's systems infrastructure, including CRM, lead management, ad systems, data warehouse, customer portal, and financial reporting applications through strong collaboration with Product Management and Engineering departments.
• Take a lead role in developing and publishing reports, dashboards, presentations, and tools to aid sales, support, operations, and marketing teams in consistently tracking activities to sales results.
Who you are and qualifications:
• BA/BS degree required.
• 8 years of industry experience with technology and best practices for business, advertising, and ecommerce systems.
• 4 years defining and leading high impact business solutions.
• 4 years supervisory experience in leading high impact teams.
• Experience in the media advertising, SaaS, software, Internet, recruitment solutions, and/or online subscription business preferred.
• Strong Agile/Scrum/project management experience from a high growth technology or media company, or equivalent experience leading management trainee/rotation program, including the ability to manage multiple strategic projects simultaneously.
• Strong analytical and problem solving experience, combined with strong business judgment and ability to present analysis in a clear and compelling manner.
• Demonstrated ability and strong track record in developing and delivering business systems, technical requirements, and process design/optimization. Demonstrated top quartile performance in prior roles, with increasing levels of responsibility and independence.
• CRM systems integration experience, Salesforce.com preferred.
Interested candidates will apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Business Solutions Director" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks an Assistant Production Manager to join our Corporate Client Group. The Assistant Production Manager coordinates corporate and image advertising production for online advertising while assisting the Director of Production, the sales team, and the Production Associate in organizing, coordinating, and administering advertising campaigns for online banners, e-mail newsletters, advertiser-sponsored webinars, and print advertising. Candidates must have excellent communication skills and customer service skills with a strong attention to detail. The Assistant Production Manager must also be skillful in organizing and prioritizing tasks and projects. It is essential that the manager have a strong sense of teamwork.
• Upload and monitor the delivery of online advertising campaigns for all three web sites in Google DFP
• Enter orders and contracts into ad management system, and maintain advertiser/contract files
• Work collaboratively with Sales Representatives in all matters relating to all products
• Schedule and produce advertiser-sponsored Webinars
• Maintain inventory avails for all Web sites, and provide this information to sales reps and advertisers
• Complete monthly billing for online advertising, and provides back up to Production Associate for weekly billing for print advertising
• Prepare special reports and projects as requested by the sales staff, advertisers, and management
• Act as adviser to clients regarding their advertising needs, providing information about materials specifications, ad deadlines, ad placement, prepayment requirements, insertion order, contracts, and Chronicle policies and general conditions
• Field calls and respond to queries about advertising rates and deadlines
• Assist Production Associate and Director of Production with print advertising production for all publications when needed and provide back up
• Propose strategies, ideas and changes in relation to all advertising products to management
• Research/resolve billing discrepancies and conflicts with Accounting
Education & Experience:
• 2-years' experience using a web advertising publishing system, such as Google DFP, is required.
• 2-years' experience using a web publishing and layout system, such as NStein, is required.
• Excellent computer skills, including Word and Excel in a Microsoft Windows environment are required.
• Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat and other design programs is required.
• Must be proficient in using an ad management system and related software
• A Bachelor's degree is preferred.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. We offer excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Assistant Production Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.