Careers at the Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks an innovative Product Marketing Manager, Corporate & Institutional Advertising to make an impact in our marketing strategies! This position will be essential in managing and supporting the development of original, inventive product marketing strategies for our corporate and image advertising product lines. The Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of Market Strategy in developing marketing strategies for products for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle Philanthropy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead for gathering research for the product development team, approximately 25% of total workload.
• Assist in the timely development of comprehensive marketing strategies to generate leads among prospective and existing advertising clients to meet corporate and image advertising goals.
• Ensure a consistent approach to tracking, gathering, and applying metrics to the product marketing process to evaluate marketing success.
• Collaborate with Marketing Director(s) and key sales stakeholders to analyze and apply research and metrics to marketing strategies.
• Conduct market and competitive analysis to determine buyer requirements and new and enhanced product needs.
• Participate in the evaluation of product life cycles by preparing product reports (revenue, trends, etc.) that provide actionable recommendations on product positioning, pricing, promotion and competitive strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter who will be able to work effectively with a variety of people at all levels. A Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in marketing is required, focus on market research and analysis is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Product Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. Based in Washington, D.C., we offer a collaborative and flexible working environment with excellent benefits, including 24 paid vacation days a year.
We're looking for a dynamic individual to join our team as the Director of Business Solutions. In this role, your quest is to drive new revenue and business efficiency through our current technology portfolio as well as deliver a next generation of solutions for marketing, commerce, CRM, business intelligence, partner integration and advertising. These solutions help our staff manage the entire business life cycle – from prospect gathering to sales opportunity to business intelligence and support case management. You’ll be able to work closely with the leaders of our company in this critical role.
What you’ll do:
• Integrate ad and business systems strategy and development into the business by working closely with senior sales and operations management to understand system needs.
• Manage multiple strategic projects on both an on-going and an ad-hoc basis.
• Deliver business systems, infrastructure, and applications required to support the Enterprise organization, including development of strategy, user stories and systems requirements. Work with the director of user experience and technology architects on design specifications, data architecture, and operational processes.
• Create and drive the tactical and strategic development of our Enterprise's systems infrastructure, including CRM, lead management, ad systems, data warehouse, customer portal, and financial reporting applications through strong collaboration with Product Management and Engineering departments.
• Take a lead role in developing and publishing reports, dashboards, presentations, and tools to aid sales, support, operations, and marketing teams in consistently tracking activities to sales results.
Who you are and qualifications:
• BA/BS degree required.
• 8 years of industry experience with technology and best practices for business, advertising, and ecommerce systems.
• 4 years defining and leading high impact business solutions.
• 4 years supervisory experience in leading high impact teams.
• Experience in the media advertising, SaaS, software, Internet, recruitment solutions, and/or online subscription business preferred.
• Strong Agile/Scrum/project management experience from a high growth technology or media company, or equivalent experience leading management trainee/rotation program, including the ability to manage multiple strategic projects simultaneously.
• Strong analytical and problem solving experience, combined with strong business judgment and ability to present analysis in a clear and compelling manner.
• Demonstrated ability and strong track record in developing and delivering business systems, technical requirements, and process design/optimization. Demonstrated top quartile performance in prior roles, with increasing levels of responsibility and independence.
• CRM systems integration experience, Salesforce.com preferred.
Interested candidates will apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Business Solutions Director" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks an Assistant Production Manager to join our Corporate Client Group. The Assistant Production Manager coordinates corporate and image advertising production for online advertising while assisting the Director of Production, the sales team, and the Production Associate in organizing, coordinating, and administering advertising campaigns for online banners, e-mail newsletters, advertiser-sponsored webinars, and print advertising. Candidates must have excellent communication skills and customer service skills with a strong attention to detail. The Assistant Production Manager must also be skillful in organizing and prioritizing tasks and projects. It is essential that the manager have a strong sense of teamwork.
• Upload and monitor the delivery of online advertising campaigns for all three web sites in Google DFP
• Enter orders and contracts into ad management system, and maintain advertiser/contract files
• Work collaboratively with Sales Representatives in all matters relating to all products
• Schedule and produce advertiser-sponsored Webinars
• Maintain inventory avails for all Web sites, and provide this information to sales reps and advertisers
• Complete monthly billing for online advertising, and provides back up to Production Associate for weekly billing for print advertising
• Prepare special reports and projects as requested by the sales staff, advertisers, and management
• Act as adviser to clients regarding their advertising needs, providing information about materials specifications, ad deadlines, ad placement, prepayment requirements, insertion order, contracts, and Chronicle policies and general conditions
• Field calls and respond to queries about advertising rates and deadlines
• Assist Production Associate and Director of Production with print advertising production for all publications when needed and provide back up
• Propose strategies, ideas and changes in relation to all advertising products to management
• Research/resolve billing discrepancies and conflicts with Accounting
Education & Experience:
• 2-years' experience using a web advertising publishing system, such as Google DFP, is required.
• 2-years' experience using a web publishing and layout system, such as NStein, is required.
• Excellent computer skills, including Word and Excel in a Microsoft Windows environment are required.
• Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat and other design programs is required.
• Must be proficient in using an ad management system and related software
• A Bachelor's degree is preferred.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. We offer excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Assistant Production Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Subscription Account Associate to join its Audience Development and Circulation department. The Subscription Account Associate will provide excellent customer service via telephone, email, and mail by responding to inquiries and requests about products and services. The Associate will partner with the Sales Manager to build The Chronicle’s subscription and site license customer base and keep renewal rates high. You will work in Salesforce.com to process leads, follow up on inquires, and generate reports as needed.
• Respond to client/vendors through telephone and/or email correspondence to discuss or resolve questions regarding site license, subscriber services and Chronicle webinars.
• Complete press-run memos including calculation of advertising percentages.
• Prepares and sends customer invoices and renewals in a timely manner and monitors payment status, flagging and following up with customers who are delinquent.
• Initiate new customer IP access, as well as respond to requests for additional range, to either Chronicle website.
• Validate renewal values for all booked transactions. Ensure opportunity values are populated in Salesforce at all stages of sales cycle, including generating reports to aid in timely and accurate processing.
• Proactively and thoroughly research matters relating to accounts assignments, contracts, opportunities, quotes, booking transactions and/or account receivables.
• Reach out to existing site license subscribers identifying/assisting manager with up-sell opportunities.
• Take initiative with other sales related activities, such as scheduling sales appointments for the Sales Manager, researching new business opportunities.
• Assists with preparation of Publisher Statements and audits.
• Accurately prepare and distribute a variety of monthly tracking reports.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; high comfort level making and receiving customer phone calls.
• Previous experience with CRM administration; salesforce.com knowledge preferred.
• Confident in speaking with existing clients for upsell opportunities.
• Intermediate windows-based applications knowledge and ability (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Resourceful, well organized, highly dependable, efficient with strong attention to detail.
• Must be comfortable coordinating multiple projects simultaneously.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: 1-3 years providing customer service and sales support, preferably working in the publishing or membership industries.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Subscription Associate" in the subject heading. Incomplete responses will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, the leading publications in the higher-education and nonprofit sectors, have an opportunity for a Marketing Specialist to join our Washington, DC based Marketing team.
The Marketing Specialist will work under the direction of the Senior Marketing Manager to execute a wide array of marketing and promotional campaigns for The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, and associated product lines to fulfill The Chronicle's strategic marketing and promotional goals.
Key responsibilities include:
• Work closely with the creative services, events, and product marketing teams to conceptualize and execute on compelling marketing campaigns.
• Working with the Senior Manager, coordinate the design and production schedules for multiple projects to ensure that marketing goals and objectives are met.
• Produce effective e-mails, landing pages, one sheets, print house ads, and Web banner ads.
• Work closely with Email Marketing Specialist to develop and execute e-mail marketing campaigns through Eloqua, including the creation of email campaigns and landing pages, pulling target list segments, deployment of e-mails and tracking.
• Manage and update key print and online promotional sections of Chronicle products when necessary, such as the in-paper recruitment joiner page, sponsored sections on websites, and online advertising promotional pages.
• Collaborate with strategic partners both inside and outside The Chronicle on material production and product promotions, participating in conference calls, communicating promotion schedule, and tracking campaign progress to goals.
• Participate in concept meetings to brainstorm The Chronicle presence at conferences and events.
• Manage project work schedules for multiple campaigns, working with internal clients to monitor and track progress to ensure that deadlines are met.
• Track performance of all campaign components including house ads, online banner ads, and newsletter ads, and incorporate results into regular reporting.
• Proof materials for marketing department members as needed.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze campaign performance.
• Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently.
• Ability to be an independent contributor when necessary but work well within a matrixed marketing team.
• Excellent communication - written and oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills are required.
• Ability to travel domestically up to five times per year.
• Knowledge/awareness of the higher education and nonprofit industries a plus.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, or equivalent field of study is preferred.
Experience: 1-3 years' experience in marketing required. Experience with marketing email providers or online tools as Eloqua and Adobe Marketing Cloud preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Specialist" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.