The Almanac of Higher Education 2009-10
From the Editors: What's New in the Almanac
We hope that you will notice improvements in this year’s issue of the Almanac of Higher Education. We have made changes that we trust will prove more informative and useful.
The Almanac, published annually, gathers an assortment of key data about the most important trends in higher education. Our new version is an attempt to better organize and provide more context for that information.
We welcome your ideas about other ways in which we can improve the Almanac and about what kinds of data regarding higher education you find most helpful. Please drop us a line at email@example.com.
The financial crisis that began last year has shaken higher-education systems throughout the Northeast, forcing budget cuts and shrinking endowments.
A silver lining in the gloomy Midwest: Community colleges emerged as central players in policy makers' plans for retooling their work forces.
More students than ever applied to South Atlantic colleges this year, as pressure shifted to community colleges with open-door admissions policies.
The region's biggest challenge: The fastest-growing racial and ethnic groups are those that have been the least likely to attend college and graduate.
Public colleges in the Mountain West face the prospect of major cuts, just as more students return to college to improve their job skills in a weak economy.
For states in the Pacific West, an exceptional reliance on public colleges has made higher education unusually vulnerable to the recession.
Students: Access to College
Students: Enrollments and Demographics
- Growth in Undergraduate Enrollments by Type of College
- College Enrollment by Racial and Ethnic Group, Selected Years
- College Enrollment by Age of Students, Fall 2007
- Profile of Undergraduate Students, 2007-8
- Campuses With the Largest Enrollments, Fall 2007
- Map: States' Share of Total U.S. College Enrollment
- Map: Enrollment by Type of Institution
- Map: Proportion of College Students Who Are Minority-Group Members
Students: College Costs and Financial Aid
- Average College Costs, 2008-9
- Growth in Net Tuition, Fees, Room, and Board
- Range of Tuition at 4-Year Institutions, 2008-9
- Trends in Student-Loan Debt for Undergraduates
- Trends in Student-Loan Debt for Graduate and Professional Students
- Poorest Families Spend the Largest Percentage of Their Incomes on College
- Poorest Families Face Largest Unmet Need for Financial Aid
- Student Financial Aid, 2007-8
- Proportion of Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid, 2007-8
- Average Amount of Financial Aid to Undergraduates, 2007-8
- Distribution, by Income, of Bachelor's Degrees by Age 24
- Distribution of Colleges by Acceptance Rates, 2007-8
- Proportions of Colleges Using Various Selection Criteria for Undergraduate Admissions, 2007-8
- Colleges With the Most Freshman Merit Scholars, 2008
- Average Scores on the SAT by Sex and Racial and Ethnic Group, 2008
- Average Scores on the ACT by Sex and Racial and Ethnic Group, 2009
Faculty and Staff: Salaries and Demographics
- Median Salaries of College Administrators by Job Category and Type of Institution, 2008-9
- Average Salaries of Full-Time Faculty Members, 2008-9
- Average Faculty Salaries by Field and Rank at 4-year Colleges and Universities, 2008-9
- Change in Buying Power of Average Faculty Salaries
- Employees in Colleges and Universities by Racial and Ethnic Group, Fall 2007
- Number of Full-Time Faculty Members by Sex, Rank, and Racial and Ethnic Group, Fall 2007
Faculty and Staff: Tenure
Faculty and Staff: Faculty Views
Resources: Donations and Revenues
- Voluntary Support by Type of Institution and Source, 2007-8
- Estimated Voluntary Support of Higher Education by Source, 2008
- Major Private Gifts to Higher Education
- Top Fund Raisers, 2007-8
- Finances of Colleges and Universities, 2007 Fiscal Year
- Map: Percentage Change in State Spending for Higher Education, Almanac 2009
Resources: Scientific Research
- Top Institutions in Total Research-and-Development Expenditures for Science and Engineering, 2007 Fiscal Year
- Top Institutions in Federal Research-and-Development Expenditures for Science and Engineering, 2007 Fiscal Year
- Biggest Gainers in Federal Funds for Academic Research and Development, 2000-7
- Licensing Revenue And Patent Activity, 2007 Fiscal Year
Students: International Students
- Degrees Conferred by Racial and Ethnic Group, 2006-7
- Growth in Bachelor's Degrees Awarded by Field of Study
- Earned Degrees Conferred, 2006-7
- Degrees Awarded by Type of Institution, 2006-7
- Universities Awarding the Most Earned Doctorates, 2007
- Characteristics of Recipients of Earned Doctorates, 2007
- Map: Educational Attainment