Work and Life
An undergraduate shares his coming-out story and the important role played by a gay faculty member.
- The Next Step for Female Scientists
- Adoption Advice for Gay and Lesbian Employees
- Women, Tenure, and the Law
- Giving Birth to 2 Babies
- Is Tenure a Trap for Women?
- Men and Mothering
- Role Models and Mentors
- A Message for Our New President
- Do Babies Matter in Science?
Labor and the Academic Market
What can you do to break the cycle of dull, unproductive meetings?
- I'm OK, He's Sleazy
- Don't E-Mail Me This Way
- They're Out to Get Me
- Mr. and Mrs. Bully
- He's Hogging the Course I Want
- Snarl and the World Snarls With You
- Too Much Information
- Backstabbers and Underminers
- Somebody Back There Didn't Like Me
Retiring From Academe
Making the most of your options with higher education's major retirement-plan provider need not be bewildering.
- Tell Tchaikovsky the News
- As Easy as Rolling Over
- Will I Ever Retire?
- The Road to Retirement
- Repairing Your Retirement Portfolio
- Becoming Emeritus
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Being Emeritus
- Are You the Retiring Sort?
- The Road to Retirement: Caring for an Aging Parent
- To Retire or Not?
- 14 Things to Do Before You Retire
- The Road to Retirement: Not This Year
- Retirement: Are You Saving Too Little or Too Much?
- Can Adjuncts Afford to Retire?
- The Not-So-Retired Scientist
- Giving Professors an Incentive to Retire
First Time on the Market?
Going on the academic job market for the first time? Here are some things you should know.
Why a few professors are still clacking away after all these years.
- Accepting the Way You Work
- Growing Where You Are
- The Professor as Pitchman
- The Year of Dressing Formally
- Fearing Our Students
- The James Bond Lifestyle Seminar for Academics©
- Goodbye, Mr. Keating
- Some Thoughts on Receiving Tenure
- The Art of the Bogus Rating
Books and Libraries
Henry Adams on Graduate School
Sitting at my desk last February, I once again envisioned a summer in which I would get 36 hours of work out of every 24.
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 14
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 13
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 12
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 11
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 10
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 9
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 8
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 7
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 6
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 5
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 4
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 3
- Academic Bait-and-Switch, Part 2
- Academic Bait-and-Switch