The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle is seeking a highly motivated Account Executive to drive the growth of Vitae Recruiter, the only search tool that reaches the most engaged audience of active and passive job seekers in higher education. This newly created position, based in Washington DC, will lead our expansion in the West Coast as part of a major strategic initiative.
As Account Executive for the West Coast, you will be responsible for building and closing a robust pipeline of new business opportunities for the Vitae Recruiter Tool. While building long-term client relationships, you will consult with prospective and existing clients to help them reach their hiring objectives by leveraging the power of Vitae Recruiter. The AE is responsible for meeting or exceeding quarterly quotas and growing The Chronicle’s market share. Vitae (chroniclevitae.com/) is the fast-growing online community for higher education. It’s the place where faculty and administrators come for candid advice on academic careers and career development tools. Through Vitae Recruiter, clients will connect with members who visit Vitae for daily news and smart insights, professional networking, comprehensive job listings, and other tools that help them succeed in their career.
Location: Washington DC
Territory: West Coast
What you’ll do:
- Develop a full understanding of higher education structure, roles, and buying process.
- Learn about specific client needs.
- Manage the sales process from lead generation to account setup.
- Prospect and work on outbound and inbound leads to build a pipeline and create strong relationships.
- Consistently maintain a high level of outbound activity (calls/emails)
- Consult with clients to present Vitae Recruiter tool and recruitment solutions that will allow the company to significantly increase Vitae Recruiter sales.
- Develop and execute on a strategic sales plan for the territory.
- Listen and learn the needs of the market, sharing insights with product and marketing teams.
- Work directly with inside staff and through our sales information systems to identify revenue opportunities.
- Develop and expand opportunities to leverage purchases across academe.
- Close new business consistently at or above quota level.
Who you are:
- Three or more years experience in online product sales, with demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting and exceeding revenue expectations.
- Startup metabolism and entrepreneurial background.
- Superior communication, presentation and relationship management skills.
- Articulate and professional presentation style.
- Consultative sales experience.
- Ability to travel for business as needed. Travel potential of 25 percent.
- Extensive experience working with Salesforce and other sales information systems.
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of formal sales training.
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- Selling recruiting, recruitment media, or human resources software.
- Thorough understanding of the higher education system and buying process.
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Account Executive” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an enterprising reporter to join our daily-news team. The reporter will cover a range of issues, with a particular focus on the experiences of the faculty members at the center of the academic enterprise.
Your chief responsibility will be to produce smart, engaging coverage that speaks to the themes and concerns that touch professors every day. You'll write about the working life of those professors, including career development, workplace culture, and the processes of writing, conducting research, and publishing. Through creative story ideas and careful reporting, your work will shed light on the everyday experiences of scholars whose roles are increasingly public and, in many cases, increasingly tenuous.
We're looking for a smooth, confident writer who combines a deep understanding of higher education with strong news judgment. The right candidate has three years of experience and is a natural storyteller who can mine new sources to generate creative and distinctive story ideas, framed for a national audience. You'll need to be self-motivated and proactive, eager to collaborate with others, attuned to how news is distributed online, and flexible enough to juggle multiple stories and approaches at once. You'll write often on deadline, and you'll look to drive conversations about the big issues facing the profession.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
If this sounds like the place you want to make your mark, send a cover letter, resume, five clips, and five brief pitches for story ideas to email@example.com.