The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Software Engineer | Marketing Manager | Staff Writer | Web News Writer | Production Assistant | Copywriter | Advertising Sales Associate | Reporter | Database Reporter | Institutional Sales Coordinator | Helpdesk Manager | Account Executive, Vitae Recruiter
The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for a Software Engineer who is passionate about building awesome websites. The Chronicle of Higher Education is building a strong technology team in order to go far beyond its current digital content and services. The Software Engineer will work together with the team in creating and expanding multiple websites, extending and improving our object-oriented framework, building solutions and maintaining existing applications which will be highly visible across academe.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, creative, and can build highly scalable websites in an AWS environment. The Software Engineer will collaborate with business owners to translate complex business initiatives into innovative solutions. A can-do-attitude, with the ability to energize and work with cross-functional teams is required.
- Develop features across multiple subsystems within our applications, including collaboration in requirements definition, prototyping, design, coding, testing and deployment
- Provide engineering support (when necessary) to our technical operations staff when they are building, deploying, configuring and supporting systems for customers
- Investigate, analyze and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades and modifications
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems to form a basis for the solution of information processing problems.
- Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements to task specifications.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- 3+ years of experience developing web-based enterprise solutions or consumer-facing web applications.
- 2+ years of experience with web-based MVC frameworks.
- Experience with Git version control system, preferably in conjunction with GitHub or GitLab.
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- End-to-end development experience is a huge plus.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or other technical field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Software Engineer” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented marketer as Marketing Manager who would be responsible for acquisition and retention efforts for Chronicle Career-Development Solutions, including Vitae and the Chronicle Job Board. Working with the Senior Director of Market Strategy and a matrixed project team, this position will lead efforts to attract, engage, and retain members/users. The Manager is responsible for understanding the target audience through data, research, and testing how community members currently engage with our career-development solutions and develop plans to improve key performance indicators.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• In conjunction with the Senior Director and other key stakeholders, develop and execute comprehensive marketing strategies for acquiring and retaining online community members.
• Work in conjunction with Product Innovation, Editorial, Business Development and technology teams to understand product strengths and opportunities to create timely and relevant acquisition campaigns.
• Lead the development and execution of scalable and repeatable marketing programs to acquire and retain community members, using data and testing to drive great campaigns.
• Work with marketing and editorial colleagues to integrate community messages into existing company activities to make the most of existing investments as appropriate.
• Develop and execute custom on-campus events that drive participation in and enthusiasm for Vitae.
• Work with team to develop and manage against well-defined and measurable KPIs to keep programs and projects on track; use KPIs to ensure all materials and programs uphold The Chronicle's brand and reputation within the company and the marketplace.
• Prepare and oversee budget in consultation with key stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is a natural leader who manages rapidly evolving product portfolios and leads teams to successful launches and profitability. S/he will contribute strategically and tactically with a focus on metrics and accountability. Candidates must have at least 5 years of marketing experience with a track record of leading and/or contributing to complex, high-stakes marketing launches. Must be willing to travel. A Bachelor's degree is required, MBA is a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy is looking for a staff writer to expand its coverage of charitable fundraising, the heartbeat of the $1.1-trillion nonprofit sector. The position is an opportunity to develop expertise on a segment of the U.S. economy little covered by other news organizations.
We're looking for a skilled news reporter and strong storyteller whose work will help our readers better serve the public. You will contribute regularly to The Chronicle's resource section with nuts-and-bolts "how-to" stories about fundraising, and report short daily stories for our online audience. You will also have the chance to work with our data team to help readers understand the stories behind the numbers that tally who's up and who's down in the competitive world of raising money for charitable causes.
You will interview some of the biggest philanthropists and foundation executives in the charitable world, and have the opportunity to write in-depth, magazine-style pieces for our monthly magazine.
Candidates must be talented, deadline driven, and motivated to learn a new beat quickly. Two years of reporting experience preferred; familiarity with the nonprofit sector also is a plus, although not required. Send a resume, 3 to 5 samples of published work, your salary requirements, and a lively cover letter explaining why you're the right person for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for a smart, digitally savvy web news writer to join our award-winning newsroom.
The Chronicle is the premier source for news and information about higher education, and you'll be part of our daily news team. Your core duties all relate to the daily flow of news and information. You'll provide engaged, in-the-moment, and intelligent coverage of developing news on chronicle.com and through our social-media channels. You'll devise and execute strategies to help our content reach readers through Facebook, Twitter, and other communities. And you'll flag news for our daily-news editors and reporters, act as a point person for our Ticker blog and some email newsletters, and work to ensure that The Chronicle "owns" important stories in the first news cycle.
We're looking for a talented individual who demonstrates strong news judgment and thrives on deadline. The right person is self-motivated and proactive, flexible, comfortable with change, and a team player who enjoys collaborating with others and running with projects.
Do you fit this profile?
You're a newshound and storyteller. You've worked for a news organization for a couple of years, and you thrive in a fast-paced environment. You're eager to seek out alternate formats that tell stories in engaging ways.
You're immersed in the world of digital journalism. You view social media as essential to helping news and analysis find an audience, you're comfortable with web journalism tools, and you're able to find your way around WordPress and other content-management systems.
If the above information describes you, and you have two or more years of experience, let's get the process started! Send your resume and samples to email@example.com.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy seeks a Sales & Production Assistant to join our fast-paced, dynamic advertising and insides sales department. This position will provide vital support to the advertising and inside sales teams and management. The Sales & Production Assistant will be responsible for, but not limited to, setting up new customer accounts, organizational ID's, and assisting with layout of both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy when necessary.
• Set up new customer accounts.
• Manage existing ad orders, input new orders, and changes.
• Use a detail oriented approach to the work to trouble shoot and resolve all issues or errors.
• Assist when necessary layout of both CHE & COP print publications
• Support Inside Sales team and Agency & Production associates.
• Coordinate report requests from Sales Management.
• Perform Salesforce.com data maintenance.
• Provide detailed follow up to customers on ad production and deadlines.
1. Strong attention to detail.
2. Excellent customer service skills to include outstanding oral and written communication skills
3. Ability to read HTML and understand XML export feeds is a plus.
4. Strong project and task orientation; ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities and work in a deadline driven environment.
5. Must be comfortable making outbound phone calls.
• 1-3 years of professional experience in a deadline driven environment.
• 1-3 years of experience with Salesforce or other CRM and strong business software skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Proficiency with internet research tools.
• 1-3 years of experience in advertising sales, customer service or call center environment
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Production Assistant" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Persuasive Email Copy. Killer Content Marketing. Turbo-Charged Lead Generation. Social Media Maven.
If you are passionate about writing copy to achieve these goals, please read on.
As the lead copywriter, you will be responsible for developing clear and effective written communications. Be it sales tools and collateral or emails and Tweets, you are committed to writing the best possible copy to achieve the desired mission. You will be responsible for owning the writing process from concept development to project execution--and you must be a continuous well of high quality work. You work well independently but also thrive as part of a team.
To make the cut, you will bring some agency experience and/or a background in writing or communications. In addition, you must be a strategic thinker in working closely with internal stakeholders, product marketing, and the creative team to ensure marketing goals and objectives are met for The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, Vitae, and associated product lines.
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Work collaboratively with managers and cross-functional team members to brainstorm copy ideas.
- Develop effective, clear and persuasive copy for all marketing promotions and collateral, such as: brochures, print and email campaigns, landing pages, banner advertising, social media channels, case studies, infographics, animated presentations, booth graphics, and other pieces as needed.
- Act as department's subject matter expert on higher education and non-profit issues, regularly disseminating key coverage and developments pertinent to marketing initiatives.
- Read/analyze project strategies, market trends, industry white papers to develop effective copy for target personas.
- Maintain marketing style guides, enforcing copy styles and voice to align with company brand.
- Organize workload for efficient time-management - Schedule, track, and oversee the development of copy to make sure deadlines are met.
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are required
- 3-5 years professional copywriting experience, preferably in an agency or advertising environment.
- 2 years experience working on digital products, and solid experience creating work for 360 campaigns, from concept all the way to production preferred.
- Degree from four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Impeccable writing, verbal and presentation skills.
- Must have excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and writing samples and/or a link to your portfolio to email@example.com with "Copywriter" in the subject heading. No phone calls please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education and Chronicle of Philanthropy are seeking an Advertising Sales Associate to work for the national publication in the higher education industry. This person will be responsible for growing print and digital recruitment revenue through outbound calls and prospecting to colleges and universities across the United States. The Advertising Sales Associate will also be responsible for contacting current clients to increase their advertising with The Chronicle by presenting The Chronicle's unique products and value proposition.
The successful candidate must have:
- The ability to build client relationships and achieve revenue targets by prospecting through cold calling and lead generation tools.
- Must be a self-starter, highly motived and goal setter
- The ability to identify customer needs while sharing The Chronicle's value propositions
- A high level of professionalism, enthusiasm and knowledge to ensure complete client satisfaction
- Comfort and proficiency using the phone and email to effectively promote The Chronicle and its advertising recruitment services
- The ability to work collaboratively within a team in order to achieve a shared goal.
- Outstanding written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Maintain current knowledge of market activities including competitive products, pricing and policies, new technology, product specifications and possible new products.
- Develop an effective rapport with customers to gain an understanding of their business and hiring needs, the forces affecting their business and hiring decisions, and their perceptions of the multimedia recruitment products.
- Develop and present targeted advertising proposals to hiring decision makers consistent with the advertiser's recruitment objectives.
- Utilize all sales resources, marketing information, technology, and creative support to develop effective advertising.
- 3-5 years' experience in media sales, personnel recruiting, or digital sales preferred
- Must be a self-starter with a proven track record to successfully meet sales goals
- Experience using Salesforce or a CRM tool helpful, but not required
- Bachelor's degree required; focus on sales, communication or marketing preferred
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Advertising Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an enterprising reporter to join our daily-news team. The reporter will cover a range of issues, with a particular focus on the experiences of the faculty members at the center of the academic enterprise.
Your chief responsibility will be to produce smart, engaging coverage that speaks to the themes and concerns that touch professors every day. You'll write about the working life of those professors, including career development, workplace culture, and the processes of writing, conducting research, and publishing. Through creative story ideas and careful reporting, your work will shed light on the everyday experiences of scholars whose roles are increasingly public and, in many cases, increasingly tenuous.
We’re looking for a smooth, confident writer who combines a deep understanding of higher education with strong news judgment. The right candidate has three years of experience and is a natural storyteller who can mine new sources to generate creative and distinctive story ideas, framed for a national audience. You’ll need to be self-motivated and proactive, eager to collaborate with others, attuned to how news is distributed online, and flexible enough to juggle multiple stories and approaches at once. You’ll write often on deadline, and you’ll look to drive conversations about the big issues facing the profession.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
If this sounds like the place you want to make your mark, send a cover letter, résumé, five clips, and five brief pitches for story ideas to email@example.com.
Higher education and the non-profit world is awash in data--graduation rates, endowments, salaries, federal grants, scholarly citations--and we need someone to help make sense of it all. We're seeking an experienced database reporter to join our newsroom in Washington, D.C.
We're looking for someone who can work with reporters across the newsroom, collaborating on individual stories, proposing new projects, and maintaining existing databases. The reporter will coordinate several of our high-profile annual projects, including our widely-cited survey of presidential pay, and will collaborate with designers and developers on data presentations. This reporter will also be a resource to others in The Chronicle who are interested in advancing technical skills related to computer-assisted reporting.
The ideal candidate loves using data to tell important investigative stories, has an interest in higher education, non-profit, and is fascinated by the journalism of ideas.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent of 4-6 years' experience in database reporting.
- Ability to write clear and accurate stories.
- In-depth knowledge of a range of computer-assisted reporting tools, especially MySQL and Excel.
- Outstanding attention to detail is a must.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and links to work examples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is in search of a highly motivated, energetic Institutional Sales Coordinator. This role will join the growing institutional sales team and contribute in growing the site license business by identifying prospects in both traditional and non-traditional markets.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying potential institutional clients in both traditional and non-traditional markets for The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy through regular research and prospecting activities using both internal and external sources
- Conducting new business outreach to potential clients through phone calls and e-mails
- Educating prospective clients on the value of institutional access to The Chronicle, and gathering intel on buying cycles, common objections, and pain points
- Supporting the Institutional Sales Manager in creating customized plans for sales territories
- Managing and responding to inbound requests from prospective clients
- Ensuring the database contains accurate account details and contact information
- Supporting additional new business and audience development initiatives as needed
- 1-2 years' relevant experience in business development or sales support
- Superior interpersonal skills and strong relationship-building acumen
- Proven success prospecting and making outbound sales calls
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task and prioritize projects
- Experience with a CRM system such as Salesforce.com preferred
- Bachelor's degree required
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Institutional Sales Coordinator" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for a Helpdesk Manager to provide essential support and serve as the main point of contact for computer hardware and software issues. The Helpdesk Manager is a critical role in the Technology Operations team, responsible for maintaining a first rate helpdesk within The Chronicle. This includes providing quick responses and timely, accurate resolutions to service issues.
The Helpdesk Manager is responsible for day-to-day operations including leadership and management of staff. The manager must develop and mentor a qualified team of helpdesk technicians. The Helpdesk Manager will stay abreast of technology trends and keep The Chronicle compliant with industry best-practices.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to the helpdesk team including coaching, team building and mentoring helpdesk technicians.
- Assign urgency and defines priority of all helpdesk requests:
- All tickets to have reasonable and manageable deadlines.
- Decrease resolution time and streamline problem-solving.
- Constant review of ticket database several times each day.
- Create a database to maintain licensing issues:
- Manage and maintain all licensing on servers, client workstations, and various applications pertinent to legal licensing.
- Secondary maintenance of all user software bags.
- Regularly manage and maintain all hardware inventory and keep up-to-date.
- Maintain and recommend budget for annual technical inventory.
- First line of defense in handling questions and resolving requests to keep technicians focused on their current tasks.
- Develop and maintain master images so that all technicians are mainstreamed (all technicians configuring machines the same way with the same applications, preferences, and settings).
- Develop and maintain formal procedures for consistency and increased productivity.
- Deep understanding of both Mac and Windows environments.
- Windows 7 and Windows 10
- OS X, including Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.
- Solid understanding and proven experience implementing and supporting helpdesk tools including ticketing and monitoring systems.
- Experience with MS Active Directory maintaining, creating users and computers.
- Experience with tools such as Casper/Macrium and VM.
- Audio-Visual and VoIP experience.
- Experience with Unix/Linux preferred.
- Experience with remote user applications and support.
- Strong knowledge of mobile platforms iPhone, iPad and Android and full mobile device management.
- Proficiency in desktop applications such as MS Office products including e-mail. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is preferred.
- Experience working in a Kanban and Agile environment preferred.
- Deep understanding of both Mac and Windows environments.
- Ability to communicate technical information, both verbal and written, to a wide range of end-users.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other technical teams and non-technical teams.
- Strong organization and keen attention to detail.
- Minimum 7+ years of related experience in positions of escalating responsibility. Staff and Process Management experience required.
- Ability to lift equipment up to 50 pounds.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field is preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Helpdesk Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle is seeking an experienced Account Executive to support the growth of Vitae Recruiter, the only search tool that reaches the most engaged audience of active and passive job seekers in higher education.
Vitae (chroniclevitae.com/) is the fast-growing online community for higher education. It's the place where faculty and administrators come for candid advice on academic careers and career development tools. Through Vitae Recruiter, clients will connect with members who visit Vitae for daily news and smart insights, professional networking, comprehensive job listings, and other tools that help them succeed in their career.
As Account Executive for the East Coast, you will work with a talented team to build a sales organization that will drive outside sales and manage revenue generation for the Vitae Recruiter tool. While building long-term client relationships, you will consult with prospective and existing clients to help them reach their hiring objectives by leveraging the power of Vitae Recruiter. The AE is responsible for meeting or exceeding quarterly quotas and growing The Chronicle's market share.
Location: East Coast Territory. Candidates may live in Washington, DC, Virginia, Maryland or New York.
What you'll do:
- Develop a full understanding of higher education structure, roles, and buying process.
- Learn about specific client needs.
- Manage the sales process from lead generation to account setup.
- Prospect and work on outbound and inbound leads to build a pipeline and create strong relationships.
- Consult with clients to present Vitae Recruiter tool and recruitment solutions that will allow the company to significantly increase Vitae Recruiter sales.
- Develop and execute on a strategic sales plan for the territory.
- Listen and learn the needs of the market, sharing insights with product and marketing teams.
- Work directly with inside staff and through our sales information systems to identify revenue opportunities.
- Develop and expand opportunities to leverage purchases across academe.
- Close new business consistently at or above quota level.
Who you are:
Preferred knowledge and experience:
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Account Executive" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.