The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an enterprising reporter to join our daily-news team. The reporter will cover a range of issues, with a particular focus on the experiences of the faculty members at the center of the academic enterprise.
Your chief responsibility will be to produce smart, engaging coverage that speaks to the themes and concerns that touch professors every day. You'll write about the working life of those professors, including career development, workplace culture, and the processes of writing, conducting research, and publishing. Through creative story ideas and careful reporting, your work will shed light on the everyday experiences of scholars whose roles are increasingly public and, in many cases, increasingly tenuous.
We’re looking for a smooth, confident writer who combines a deep understanding of higher education with strong news judgment. The right candidate has three years of experience and is a natural storyteller who can mine new sources to generate creative and distinctive story ideas, framed for a national audience. You’ll need to be self-motivated and proactive, eager to collaborate with others, attuned to how news is distributed online, and flexible enough to juggle multiple stories and approaches at once. You’ll write often on deadline, and you’ll look to drive conversations about the big issues facing the profession.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
If this sounds like the place you want to make your mark, send a cover letter, résumé, five clips, and five brief pitches for story ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're seeking a Director of Product Engineering to oversee the development evolution of The Chronicle's internal online start-up community, Vitae, as well as the enterprise-wide foundational technology and architectural solution work.
The director is responsible for the continued success of the Vitae product platform, working with the product engineering manager to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the Vitae engineering team, the innovative engineering of the platform and product, and for nurturing a high energy, can-do environment working with the other Vitae functional leads.
Vitae (chroniclevitae.com/) is the fast-growing online community for higher education. It's the place where faculty and administrators come for candid advice on academic careers and career development tools.
The director leads the company on assessing enterprise-wide foundational technology needs, shaping a vision and architectural plan with the CTO and product engineering leads, and then working with the CTO to select and guide the best implementation paths.
What you'll do:
- You will report to the Chief Technology Officer and work closely with the product engineering manager and a talented team.
- Hire and manage a high performing team of Ruby on Rails and front end developers. Oversee setting of performance goals and mentor team to meet them.
- Own the Vitae code and architecture. Prioritize development initiatives and set timetables for evaluation, development, testing, and deployment.
- Ensure the Vitae engineering team executes on the backlog using the scrum/kanban approach.
- With the CTO, lead the envisioning and design of new foundational technologies to enable us to maintain and expand our leadership in the digital media and recruiting product market, such as:
- Enable and maintain a 360 degree view of customer across our products and enterprise systems.
- Enable diverse product teams to thrive via an internal and external API to web, mobile, and business systems; make integration with current and future partners faster and easier.
- Evolve our advertising system platforms to support focus on mobile advertising.
- Continue evolving lean and agile development techniques such as continuous integration, behavior driven development, and regular retrospectives.
- Reconcile and align the Vitae platform where it augments the rest of our product technologies.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and implement these features into our microsites or standalone projects when the technology suits our needs.
Who you are:
- Previous experience designing complex solutions for software applications using an OpenSource stack (Java, Ruby, Python, NodeJS or GO)
- Experience designing and building social, data, and complex social search products
- Strong proficiency in API services centric development, using appropriate open technologies
- Expert experience with dynamic Web publishing and database technologies
- Current on any new, innovative technologies that the team can leverage
- Conference and all hands speaker, comfortable with working with an executive team. Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with Agile/SCRUM/Kanban
- Talent magnet, with DC area contacts and a presence/leadership in engineering leadership meetups and social circles
- Knowledge and experience using GIT and AWS technologies
Experience & Education: Combination of software product development, data architecture and software engineering leadership experience is critical for this role. The leader in this role will identify and work closely with external resources, data owners, software engineers and market facing teams to manage the product development and engineering roadmap. Interest in news and journalism is a plus. A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in computer science or related field.
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Product Engineering Director" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive and our benefits are among the best in the business, including 24 days of paid vacation.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. Vitae is The Chronicle's online career hub, which offers free career management tools, a powerful community, and the candid insights that academics need to build successful careers and fulfill their mission.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Customer Engagement Manager to deliver exceptional customer service to our clients. The Chronicle's products include subscriptions, webinars, data products, and site licenses mainly for higher education institutions and nonprofits. The manager's main priorities are to engage with our customers through daily customer service interactions, understand the customer's needs, and serve as an advocate for their interests.
What you'll do:
- Provide necessary oversight, including training and documentation to internal and offsite customer service staff on answering and servicing phone calls and emails from subscribers, account holders, and others to meet established Chronicle standards.
- Respond to high-level or escalated customer service phone calls and email as needed. Engage with subscribers and work with them to provide a positive outcome.
- Accurately record customer trends and details of interactions using internal tools and communicate essential metrics as appropriate.
- Establish benchmarks and best practices and monitor the performance of offsite customer service staff and recommend improvements if and when service is below expectations.
- Improve customer service quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; establishing and communicating service metrics; monitoring and analyzing results; implementing changes.
Who you are:
- Exceptional track record in building relationships with customers and internal stakeholders
- Highly proactive, proven project leadership and ability to bring them to successful implementation and completion.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and schedules
- Strong independent judgment, initiative, and decision-making skills
- Aptitude for coaching, and motivating others
Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience working in a customer service and engagement role. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to AudienceDev@chronicle.com with "Customer Engagement Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an Advertising Sales Associate to work for the national publications in the higher education and non-profit industries. This person will be responsible for growing print and digital recruitment revenue through outbound calls and prospecting to colleges and universities across the United States. The Advertising Sales Associate will need to take a consultative approach to building and maintaining relationships.
Responsibilities of the Inside Advertising Sales Associate include:</p>
- Servicing existing accounts in your territory.
- Identifying new prospective customers through outbound sales calls.
- Evaluating customer’s needs and take a consultative approach to presenting the best hiring solution for the client whether print, or digital.
- Establishing and building productive relationships with your clients by providing exceptional customer service via telephone and email correspondence.
- Meeting established individual and team sales targets.
- Being fully knowledgeable and conversant about all aspects of advertising in The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, including ad placement, appropriate job categories, ad types and sizes, recruitment ads in print and online, image ads, banner ads, Employer Profiles, job alert e-mails, supplements, and all other recruitment-advertising services.
- 1-3 years of inside sales experience or consultative phone-selling experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in customer service or building customer relationships.
- Proven track record of outstanding customer service skills; a professional and engaging. phone manner; articulate, polite and friendly.
- Strong grammar and proofreading skills are a must, as is attention to detail.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Windows.
- Outbound sales experience.
- Salesforce experience is a plus, but not required
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Advertising Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a Data Editor to join its Data & Interactives team, who will work with both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy. The Data Editor is dedicated to finding, working with and analyzing data to create both daily and enterprise stories and high-end, data-driven interactive projects for both publications. Working across the organization, this position will enhance The Chronicle’s ability to tell stories based on and with data through multiple digital platforms, create data assets of value to our readers, and will provide our audience with new and exciting ways to engage with Chronicle content.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Create and manage SQL databases, scrape data from websites and other sources, and develop best practices for working with data so that reporters and editors are able to use statistics effectively and accurately in their stories.
- Collaborate with reporters to find, analyze and understand data sets to be used as the basis for stories and in interactive news projects.
- Provide guidance and tutelage for other reporters on using data and databases, and be a resource to others in The Chronicle newsroom interested in advancing their own technical skills related to computer-assisted reporting.
- Work with the data and interactives team in an agile manner to produce innovative interactive projects.
- Participate in editorial brainstorming meetings to identify, discuss and plan projects including, but not limited to, our annual executive compensation reports, Philanthropy surveys and various enterprise projects and stories.
- Look for opportunities to optimize our work, especially as it applies to data collection and organization.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in working with spreadsheets, databases (including MySQL), Python, Open Refine, mapping and other data analysis software. Candidates must be able to perform critical data and statistical analyses and explaining findings clearly and succinctly. Experience in database management and web scraping is required. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of 2-4 years’ experience in journalistic context.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Data Editor” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.