• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:37:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: 6th & "final" Jean Auel / Ayla tome, coming March 2011. . . .  (Read 84227 times)
rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« on: May 30, 2010, 8:26:56 PM »

So.  The 6th "and final" (doubt it) volume in Jean Auel's "Earth's Children"/Ayla series, The Land of the Painted Caves, is due March 2011.  Using the search function, I found some pretty hilarious comments from forumites who evidently know this series pretty darn well . . . I'll admit it's a "guilty pleasures" series for me! (My major beef: Auel can't re-introduce a character without lengthy recapitulation of said character's motivation & bio . . . not to mention can't represent or imply anything, has to hit readers over the head . . . and yet . . . I kept reading.)

Let the games begin:  what will Ayla & Jondalar invent in the 6th [and "final"] tome?

My dad says the series can't end till Ayla invents the wheel. . . . or at least some herbal analog for penicillin!

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
ufo_tofu
Soy-based
Distinguished Senior Member

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 9:46:39 PM »

I'll admit to liking the first two and I think I made it through #3, but I think Plains of Passage killed me.  It was like a botany catalog interrupted by her inventing the needle, the spear thrower, the folding lawn chair, etc. 

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-" [Zoe hits him with a pillow]
msmicrobe

New Year's resolution: Teach to the syllabus

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:00:45 PM »

I loved the first. The second was okay. The third? Not so good.
Plains of Passion? I meant Sex Across the Continent. Er, I think the real title was  Plains of Passage. Desperately needed editing.
The last one? Shelters of Stone? Awful. It was just awful. It needed more than an editor, it needed to be rewritten. It was so obvious that Auel has lost her passion for writing the series. She even renamed a character by changing the spelling.... and was apparently stunned that readers noticed and cared.
I expect the last one will leave fans furious. If the writing doesn't do the job, I expect the ending will. How can she end this series and not have everyone upset in some fashion? But I won't be lining up with my preorder. I'll wait until the library has one on the shelves. I'm not even bothering with an insane reserve list at the library.

It is such a disappointment to see an idea for a series start out so well, then wither each new volume. Thankfully, I can always go back and read the first volume and forget that the rest ever happened!

Chocolate fixes everything.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »

I loved The Mammoth Hunters so I read the first two books in the series.  Meh.  I had hopes that Plains of Passage would be another MH, but no such luck.  I'm not sure that I made it through the third chapter in Shelters of Stone before deciding I had better things to do with my time.  I will not be picking up the new book, but I will likely be digging out my copy of MH to reread again in the fall.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
toothpaste

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »

I really did love the first couple volumes in that series, but found the last couple painful to read. I always had the feeling I should re-read all preceding books in a series before reading the latest installment. That made Harry Potter lots of fun, but I have the feeling that if I tried it again for Auel, I would never get around to reading the last one. As it is, I guess I will wait until 2012 or so when my library no longer will treat it as a one-week "new" book.

Oh, this is how you get a signature line.
anthroid
hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 6:34:20 PM »

I'm guessing Auel will have to go out with a bang:  Ayla will domesticate the cat.

Or, less fancifully, she will invent the automobile but, out of love for Jondalar's ecological sensibilities, she will drive it off the edge of a cliff after stuffing it with saber-toothed tigers, woolly mammoths, and Neanderthal children, perplexing later generations of anthropologists.

I admit that this is a guilty pleasure for me too even as I laugh at how silly the entire series is.  Auel does get many of the anthropological details correct (and recent evidence seems to indicate that homo sapiens sapiens [us] may indeed have mated extensively with Neanderthal in Europe and the Near East as the book series maps out) but ... it's completely unbelievable.  Enjoyable, yes, but we must all suspend credulity with the books.

I may wait for the paperback.

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 7:40:34 AM »

<Sigh>  I will probably read this if only because I hate to leave a series unfinished.  However, I agree with the declining quality of the books as the series progresses, and I really am not eagerly anticipating the next half-page description of Jondalar's outsized external plumbing.  One can only hope that the baby ends up being a fine form of birth control for them.

That being said, I'm seeing a nice potential bingo-type betting pool coming along here.  So far we have suggestions that Ayla will domesticate the cat, invent the wheel, discover/concoct an antibiotic, and (in jest) invent the automobile.  I think we can run with this.  I like the domesticating-the-cat bit and follow it with domesticating an aurochs to start the first breed of domestic cow, then inventing cheese.  Further suggestions?

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
anthroid

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »

<Sigh>  I will probably read this if only because I hate to leave a series unfinished.  However, I agree with the declining quality of the books as the series progresses, and I really am not eagerly anticipating the next half-page description of Jondalar's outsized external plumbing.  One can only hope that the baby ends up being a fine form of birth control for them.

That being said, I'm seeing a nice potential bingo-type betting pool coming along here.  So far we have suggestions that Ayla will domesticate the cat, invent the wheel, discover/concoct an antibiotic, and (in jest) invent the automobile.  I think we can run with this.  I like the domesticating-the-cat bit and follow it with domesticating an aurochs to start the first breed of domestic cow, then inventing cheese.  Further suggestions?

Ooo...I like the way you think.  Along with the cow, let's imagine how she's going to domesticate the chicken.  So she'll get the first steak and egg breakfast up and running.  The diner will be called "Ayla's" and there will be a smart-aleck waitress named Flo.

Also, Ayla will invent agriculture.

msmicrobe

New Year's resolution: Teach to the syllabus

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 1:59:28 PM »

She'll invent written text, the #2 pencil, and paper.

Chocolate fixes everything.
toothpaste

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 4:56:47 PM »

I do believe inventing the internet is on the agenda.

Sorry, Al Gore is on my mind today.

Oh, this is how you get a signature line.
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 8:57:40 PM »

Has anyone voted for the SlapChop yet?  Jondalar figures out how to make it out of flint, and they go SlapChopping all across Europe and into Asia.  Except Jondalar has an unfortunate incident with the SlapChop, and as a result, Ayla has to try out some new lovers.  But he recovers, and his Manhood is better than ever!

rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 3:25:39 PM »

Wow . . . domesticating the cat, the chicken, and the cow . . . inventing agriculture, cheese, writing, pencil, paper, the internet, AND the SlapChop!  See, I told ya this couldn't be the "final" book. 

If Ayla's going to tame the auroch and breed cows. . . . will she invent . . . Cowbell?  (prehistoric forum interthreaduality)

A semi-serious prediction:  I bet that Jondalar's tiny cousin Joplaya, the one who carries the huge torch for him & on the rebound married the big tall part-Neanderthal (Brouhaha, wasn't he named?) will have to have Ayla invent the C-section to deliver their baby. 

See, we could invent some character names, too. . . .

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 9:09:21 PM »

Wow . . . domesticating the cat, the chicken, and the cow . . . inventing agriculture, cheese, writing, pencil, paper, the internet, AND the SlapChop!  See, I told ya this couldn't be the "final" book. 

If Ayla's going to tame the auroch and breed cows. . . . will she invent . . . Cowbell?  (prehistoric forum interthreaduality)

A semi-serious prediction:  I bet that Jondalar's tiny cousin Joplaya, the one who carries the huge torch for him & on the rebound married the big tall part-Neanderthal (Brouhaha, wasn't he named?) will have to have Ayla invent the C-section to deliver their baby. 

Oh, RebelGirl, I'm liking the C-section bit - and I was semi-serious about the aurochs and the cheese, and I'd bet Anthroid was about the cat.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
anthroid

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 9:51:55 PM »

Oh, RebelGirl, I'm liking the C-section bit - and I was semi-serious about the aurochs and the cheese, and I'd bet Anthroid was about the cat.

Well, sort of, if any of us in 2010 can claim to have domesticated the cat....however, I would not put it past Auel to have Ayla invent agriculture.  Grrrrl power and all that.

macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 9:21:26 AM »

Okay, if Ayla invents the C-section, I'm going to puke all over the book.  One of the least realistic aspects of this series is the lack of maternal and child and infant mortality. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: