• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm clueless about the secret language everyone is speaking!  (Read 12135 times)
stunned

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 9:46:44 PM »

Stunned, where the hell is your advisor?  It's his/her job to help you with this; or at least SOMEBODY in the department. 

Hello losemygrip,

It didn't even occur to me to contact my adviser w/ my mundane worries and questions. Isn't he finished w/ me when he shook my hand after my defense and walked away w/ a feeling of lightness? At least  that was my understanding since I didn't even know about how to look for a job until I ran into a faculty member in our department who asked me how my job search was going (and was terrified when she saw the blank stare on my face).

And I don't think it was a coincidence when my adviser's wife, when I ran into her at a small party soon after graduation, kept talking about just how busy his husband is...Meaning, "Don't feel like a piece of trash becuase he didn't show up for your graduation. Plus, hasn't he done enough for you already?" So, I guess, I'd rather have anonymous advisers online...and who knows...perhaps he's a member of the forum too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 9:49:34 PM by stunned » Logged
helpful
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

What kind of university did you go to? My university (an R1) had advisors that relished helping graduating students and they passed on this passion to me as I begin advising grad students.
stunned

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »

What kind of university did you go to? My university (an R1) had advisors that relished helping graduating students and they passed on this passion to me as I begin advising grad students.

I went to a prestigious public school. Actually, everyone else in my department were good advisers. My advisor was a very nice person, but during our rare conversations (monologues, I should day) he liked passing on departmental gossips, rather than the expected. I guess he never realized that even good students need advice. I guess he's been in the academia too long, and doesn't take his job seriously any more.

As to the passion your advisers passed on to you--My adviser passed it onto me too, except by way of demonstrating what academia should not be like. I can't wait for the day I'll have my own students to advice!
stunned

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 1:17:46 AM »

oops. i meant "advise"!
ahastar

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 1:23:10 AM »

I think most of us learned more from peers ahead of us than from our advisors who got their comfortable jobs in 1967 or so.  Didn't people around you talk about what they were doing toward job searching?
You might want to look at some of the books on job searches in academia which can be useful.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 1:24:40 AM »

oops. i meant "advise"!

Standard capitalization please, Stunned. Or we will turn on you like a pack of feral rabid dogs.

(Well, I will anyway.)

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
stunned

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 2:22:10 AM »

Didn't people around you talk about what they were doing toward job searching?

Actually, no. All we talked was about our dissertations and our upcoming publications. I don't really recall any serious or informative talk about job searching. Also, I was the first to finish and we lost touch after our orals. What a shame...
stunned

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 2:25:10 AM »

oops. i meant "advise"!

Standard capitalization please, Stunned. Or we will turn on you like a pack of feral rabid dogs.

(Well, I will anyway.)

Sorry...Still adjusting to the transition from being a grad student to a....what is it called....a professor?
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 3:10:55 AM »

what is it called....a professor?

Oh, we have threads about that. We will argue about most anything here.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 3:16:05 AM »

We will argue about most anything here.

Will not!

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
secretweapon
Onion's Minion and a Vaptastic

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 4:32:04 AM »

Will too!

Stunned, congrats on getting the interview - it's nice to know that, in spite of not knowing 'all this stuff,' as I have so eloquently put it, you've got an interview.

Ahastar, welcome back!

If you want a cookie, bake a cookie.
aljabr

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 9:30:23 PM »

Didn't people around you talk about what they were doing toward job searching?

Actually, no. All we talked was about our dissertations and our upcoming publications. I don't really recall any serious or informative talk about job searching. Also, I was the first to finish and we lost touch after our orals. What a shame...

This is more common than most people realize.
losemygrip
Not Very

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 3:57:14 AM »

Yes, unfortunately.  I once had colleagues from Harvard who were incredibly ignorant about the nuts and bolts of the profession.

I don't think it hurts to ask your advisor some of this stuff.  Maybe he just thinks you know it already.  Or does your department have a "graduate advisor?"  Maybe that would be the person to ask.  It really does irritate me to see departments like this that don't take care of their grads.  It's bad for them in the long run because it makes it harder for their students to get jobs.
shamu

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »

And I don't think it was a coincidence when my adviser's wife, when I ran into her at a small party soon after graduation, kept talking about just how busy his husband is...Meaning, "Don't feel like a piece of trash becuase he didn't show up for your graduation. Plus, hasn't he done enough for you already?" So, I guess, I'd rather have anonymous advisers online...and who knows...perhaps he's a member of the forum too.

Based on your posts, your adviser could've done a better job. Moreover, one's doctoral adviser should also be a MENTOR. That does not mean hand-holding, but it sure as heck should mean guidance. Even the most selfish advisers should know that their students' success reflects on them. Congratulations on finishing and scoring an interview, especially because your "mentor" did not seem to be of much help.

It didn't even occur to me to contact my adviser w/ my mundane worries and questions. Isn't he finished w/ me when he shook my hand after my defense and walked away w/ a feeling of lightness? At least  that was my understanding since I didn't even know about how to look for a job until I ran into a faculty member in our department who asked me how my job search was going (and was terrified when she saw the blank stare on my face).

Well, again, it sounds like your adviser was no mentor. However, it does surprise me that you did not think of jobs after graduating prior to the defense. Our careers (depending on the job) take a lot of self-motivation and initiative. Even without my mentor's encouragement, I started looking into jobs well before my defense. Were there no other grad students in the program? It is very hard to imagine that the job search would not come up at all before the defense. How did that happen?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:35:11 PM by shamu » Logged
stunned

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 9:19:48 PM »

I don't think it hurts to ask your advisor some of this stuff.  Maybe he just thinks you know it already.  Or does your department have a "graduate advisor?"  Maybe that would be the person to ask. 

Well, sometimes it does hurt to ask, especially when the only response you get is deafening silence.

Yes, we do have a grad advisor, but I never realized that it was his job to guide us in job searching. To my knowledge, his job was to send us reminders once in a while about upcoming conferences and fellowships. But then again, I agree, I could have done better for myself. If nothing else, I could have found this website earlier!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: