• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:46:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Edward Mellen Press--Any insights?  (Read 21182 times)
oldfullprof
Ridiculous
Distinguished Senior Member

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »

I paint what I see.  For Mellin, I'll say that some useful critiques of academia itself have emerged there.  I was solicited by them to do a book, and I declined for the reasons you're suggesting, however.

Taste o' the Sixties
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »

The name of this press is "The Edwin Mellen Press."  Edwin, not Edward.  Mellen, not Mellon, or Melon, or (thank you, oldassocprof, for this new one) Mellin.

Accuracy is a plus, especially in scholarship and among scholars.  Additionally if one has a professional interest in Google directing innocent/naive/hapless inquirers to this thread.

Crankily,
yt

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

WGAF

Taste o' the Sixties
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »

WGAF

Indeed, that may well be the prevailing attitude at the press.  For the moment, and for the record, I do.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
edify

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2011, 2:43:12 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

Any chance you can upload the letter, blocking out the personal information?

It's at my office, and it's hard copy, but I'll try to provide more of a synopsis on Monday. It also came with a booklet of "author testimonials."

I'm also curious as to how they got contact information for all the conference attendees (this was a big, national conference). Did the conference provide it? Do book vendors get a copy of the participants booklet?

cc_and_grad - Fall 2008?

Yep. I seem to remember the letter (which I didn't keep) said the conference organizers provided the contact information. I for one didn't attend the particular session in question so don't know what was said.

I find this shocking--that a professional organization would rat out its own members to help a vanity press sue someone (presumably also a member of the organization) for something said at the conference. 

If I received such a letter I would quit the organization that day and make as big a stink about it as I could. Can I ask what organization we are talking about?

Hey CHE, this is a story!

The Mellen press initiated the lawsuit against the society a little over a year ago. The Court ordered the society to provide the plaintiff with its membership list. The Mellen press used that list to start a fishing expedition because it has no witnesses to the alleged comment. Mellen is one of those entities that will sue for any reason.
kaysixteen

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 6:07:03 PM »

Lemme see if I get this straight-- at some academic conference, a panelist or questioner in attendance commented on his opinion that EMP is a vanity press, and this is actionable?  Any lawyers here think that Mellen has the ghost of a chance of winning such a suit?  Are not comments made in seminars and academic conference meetings covered by First Amendment protections?
egret

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 6:13:23 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

It's at my office, and it's hard copy, but I'll try to provide more of a synopsis on Monday. It also came with a booklet of "author testimonials."

I'm also curious as to how they got contact information for all the conference attendees (this was a big, national conference). Did the conference provide it? Do book vendors get a copy of the participants booklet?

cc_and_grad - Fall 2008?

Yep. I seem to remember the letter (which I didn't keep) said the conference organizers provided the contact information. I for one didn't attend the particular session in question so don't know what was said.

I find this shocking--that a professional organization would rat out its own members to help a vanity press sue someone (presumably also a member of the organization) for something said at the conference. 

If I received such a letter I would quit the organization that day and make as big a stink about it as I could. Can I ask what organization we are talking about?

The Mellen press initiated the lawsuit against the society a little over a year ago. The Court ordered the society to provide the plaintiff with its membership list. The Mellen press used that list to start a fishing expedition because it has no witnesses to the alleged comment. Mellen is one of those entities that will sue for any reason.

Thanks for providing the back story.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 7:16:40 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

cc_and_grad - Fall 2008?

Thanks, Edify. May I ask if the conference organization has notified its members of what happened.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 7:32:31 PM »

I wasn't sure which of the Mellen threads to use for this post, but this seemed like a decent option. I just received a letter from Edwin Mellen in relation to a conference I attended several years ago. Apparently, there was a session on academic publishing at this conference, and one of the panelists (according to this letter) discussed publishers, mentioning Mellen as one publisher to avoid because their books won't count towards tenure. (Note that I didn't actually attend this session or appear on the panel.) This letter is asking for "memories" of what this individual said on this panel about Mellen so that they can "seek adjudication" - I'm assuming that means legal action? I'm rather horrified by this.

Be very careful!  A colleague of mine was sued by Mellen for referring to it as "the next thing to a vanity press".  The university was named in the suit, as well.

Ursula, if you don't mind saying, what was the context in which your colleague made this claim?  Water-cooler chitchat?  E-mail to colleague?  Formal presentation at a conference?  In (published) writing, say in an article?

It was in a letter to the editor of the newsletter of his professional organization

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
egret

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 7:52:53 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

Here are some additional quotes of interest from the letter from Edwin Mellen:

Referring to the session on academic publishing and the panel speaker: "X recommended several publishers by name; then he added that Deans would not count toward tenure books from several other publishers, whom he also named."

"I wondered where he had obtained his list of publishers, who had compiled it, and whether it is being used to prevent publication on controversial issues (or by controversial authors)."

The letter does specifically say that the society in question "has given me the address to which I am sending this letter." (I apparently overlooked that bit before.) That's an, er, interesting phrasing given what edify has posted.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 8:19:28 PM »

Some of Routledge's library series are not much better than Mellon, Mellen, Mellin, etc.

Taste o' the Sixties
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 9:42:11 PM »

I wasn't sure which of the Mellen threads to use for this post, but this seemed like a decent option. I just received a letter from Edwin Mellen in relation to a conference I attended several years ago. Apparently, there was a session on academic publishing at this conference, and one of the panelists (according to this letter) discussed publishers, mentioning Mellen as one publisher to avoid because their books won't count towards tenure. (Note that I didn't actually attend this session or appear on the panel.) This letter is asking for "memories" of what this individual said on this panel about Mellen so that they can "seek adjudication" - I'm assuming that means legal action? I'm rather horrified by this.

Be very careful!  A colleague of mine was sued by Mellen for referring to it as "the next thing to a vanity press".  The university was named in the suit, as well.

Ursula, if you don't mind saying, what was the context in which your colleague made this claim?  Water-cooler chitchat?  E-mail to colleague?  Formal presentation at a conference?  In (published) writing, say in an article?

It was in a letter to the editor of the newsletter of his professional organization

And how was the suit resolved?

CHE, are you listening? The article writes itself.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
obprof

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 1:44:14 PM »

But at least Routledge won't sue you for saying that!

Some of Routledge's library series are not much better than Mellon, Mellen, Mellin, etc.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 2:26:04 PM »

True that.

Taste o' the Sixties
cranefly

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 3:55:39 PM »

So EM doesn't do peer review? At many places, that would mean that it wouldn't count for tenure, and so... what's this about? Surely they realize that this kind of thing does get around!

Oh yeah--Professor Sparkle Pony. "Follow your dreams, young genius, and you will meet with success!" Students eat that up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: