• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Edward Mellen Press--Any insights?  (Read 21181 times)
husqvarna
I am the chainsaw.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 3:29:38 PM »

Since I gave Edward Mellen a bad review before, I thought it would only be fair to mention that I just ran across a book by the press that I will probably use for an upcoming article (and I'm actually excited about this book).  Sometimes I'm tempted to be snobby about who I read & cite, but then I realize that this kind of attitude is just dumb.

I am not surprised that you are confused ... [t]hat confusion may well be chronic if not congenital.
egret

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 3:04:48 PM »

I wasn't sure which of the Mellen threads to use for this post, but this seemed like a decent option. I just received a letter from Edwin Mellen in relation to a conference I attended several years ago. Apparently, there was a session on academic publishing at this conference, and one of the panelists (according to this letter) discussed publishers, mentioning Mellen as one publisher to avoid because their books won't count towards tenure. (Note that I didn't actually attend this session or appear on the panel.) This letter is asking for "memories" of what this individual said on this panel about Mellen so that they can "seek adjudication" - I'm assuming that means legal action? I'm rather horrified by this.
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 3:09:41 PM »

I wasn't sure which of the Mellen threads to use for this post, but this seemed like a decent option. I just received a letter from Edwin Mellen in relation to a conference I attended several years ago. Apparently, there was a session on academic publishing at this conference, and one of the panelists (according to this letter) discussed publishers, mentioning Mellen as one publisher to avoid because their books won't count towards tenure. (Note that I didn't actually attend this session or appear on the panel.) This letter is asking for "memories" of what this individual said on this panel about Mellen so that they can "seek adjudication" - I'm assuming that means legal action? I'm rather horrified by this.

Be very careful!  A colleague of mine was sued by Mellen for referring to it as "the next thing to a vanity press".  The university was named in the suit, as well.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 3:34:26 PM »

Shades of the Oxford Round Table!

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
cranefly

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 4:01:51 PM »

But can you sue people for saying the truth? I mean, it's not defamation or libel if it's true (which, if the conference was a few years ago, will be well beyond statute of limitations allowed to raise a case in most countries). Seems very odd to me.

Oh yeah--Professor Sparkle Pony. "Follow your dreams, young genius, and you will meet with success!" Students eat that up.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 4:24:43 PM »

My limited understanding is that you can sue over all kinds of sh*t. You can't necessarily win, but sometimes winning is not the point. The point is intimidation. If you are some poor schmuck of an assistant professor and your university won't stand behind you and you have to hire your own lawyer, that is a pretty huge penalty for speaking the truth.

Look at the hell that the Oxford Round Table, Incorporated visited on an individual on the basis of a few private emails she sent to friends warning them away from said conference. She was sued in both the United States and in England. It went on for several years.

oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 1:01:09 PM »

Melllen did publish some worthwhile things on academic bullying and mobbing.  University Press of America published one of the better anthologies in military sociology.  So there are exceptions.  At teaching colleges, the worth of publishers is less of an issue.  So you can probably get this to "count" there.  I'd be tempted to rank these like a "trade" book, where the editorial standards are probably similar.  Sole, non-peer editor.

Taste o' the Sixties
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 1:04:21 PM »

Be very careful!  A colleague of mine was sued by Mellen for referring to it as "the next thing to a vanity press".  The university was named in the suit, as well.

Ursula, if you don't mind saying, what was the context in which your colleague made this claim?  Water-cooler chitchat?  E-mail to colleague?  Formal presentation at a conference?  In (published) writing, say in an article?

As for the Oxford Round Table, I'm still waiting for the CHE's big expose.  Or, an expose of the internal collapse of the CHE's plans for a big expose.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 1:39:56 PM »

Re ORT:  _______ Joyboy at our place, spurred on by Chair Dr. Schadenfreude, who hates one of hu's faculty who has gone to them, has now put the kabosh on conferences where a for-profit company has thrown the conference together.  No matter if the conference has university co-sponsors, and is actually good. 

Admittedly, some of the sleazier meetings are scheduled take place in Vegas and are "fun-filled."  Or offer "publication" in "working papers" for a "set-up fee."

But this is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Taste o' the Sixties
cc_and_grad

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 1:43:28 PM »

I just got the same letter (presumably the same conference).
santommaso

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 3:40:56 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

Any chance you can upload the letter, blocking out the personal information?
santommaso

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 3:54:43 PM »

Edwin Mellen unsuccessfully sued Lingua Franca, but then published a book on the trial:

http://www.mellenpress.com/mellenpress.cfm?bookid=7023&pc=9
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 4:07:47 PM »

I had forgotten about that 1993 article that Lingua Franca published, it was an absolutely devestating take-down of Edwin Mellen as a vanity press. Can anyone find it online?

egret

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 4:27:42 PM »

Wow. What a juicy twist.

Any chance you can upload the letter, blocking out the personal information?

It's at my office, and it's hard copy, but I'll try to provide more of a synopsis on Monday. It also came with a booklet of "author testimonials."

I'm also curious as to how they got contact information for all the conference attendees (this was a big, national conference). Did the conference provide it? Do book vendors get a copy of the participants booklet?

cc_and_grad - Fall 2008?

santommaso

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 5:17:39 PM »

I had forgotten about that 1993 article that Lingua Franca published, it was an absolutely devestating take-down of Edwin Mellen as a vanity press. Can anyone find it online?

I haven't seen an online copy, but the original Lingua Franca article is reproduced as an appendix in the book linked above.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 5:19:59 PM by santommaso » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: