• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: cancer  (Read 12454 times)
cyano

« on: April 13, 2012, 6:41:02 PM »

So frustrated - just diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. I had a few bad years in grad school where I broke bones frequently due to malnutrition which turned out to be due to colitis. The colitis got much worse throughout my post-doc and early years on the tenure track and finally, after 12 years, a very good gastroenterologist has gotten my colitis under control with a combination of diet (gluten free) and medication, and I haven't been sick for 4 months. Now, I just found out I have cancer. I know breast cancer has a good prognosis, but I would just like a little time off where I'm not spending a good deal of time and energy coping.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 6:45:55 PM by cyano » Logged
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 6:46:29 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear this cyano. I hope that your treatment plan works well enough that you will get to the point of not feeling sick again and being able to do the things you want to do.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 6:47:33 PM »

Oh, cyano! I'm so sorry to hear it. I hope it can be quickly resolved with the minimum amount of unpleasantness. Wishing you all the best.

VP

lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 6:51:42 PM »

So sorry, Cyano. I hope the strength that has seen you through in the past will continue now. Sending all best wishes and healing vibes your way.

Lizzy

I get cranky in the evenings.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 7:51:22 PM »

Cyano, there are so many advances in the treatment of breast cancer, and I hope you find a good one that won't make you feel too sick. I'm so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 7:53:31 PM »

I am so sorry. Cancer is such an a**hole, and I can only venture a guess at what a blow it must be after such brief respite from discomfort.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 7:58:23 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear this, Cyano. I hope your treatment is as painless as possible.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
golden_ticket

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 8:20:33 PM »

PM sent
cyano

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 9:56:08 PM »

Thanks all for the encouraging messages. These have helped me regroup and not have a pity party.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 2:49:34 PM »

Hope things are going well for you, Cyano. All good thoughts.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 3:01:49 PM »

Cyano, I'm also sending good thoughts. Please reach out if you'd like to talk or vent or free-associate. I can also be counted on to find pretty damn cool funny/cute videos and websites, if that is ever needed.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 3:04:02 PM »

Cyano, I know a huge number of people who have survived breast cancer and are now more than 10, even 15 years out (one is actually 40 years out!), living full and very healthy lives.  One is my sister (10-year survivor).  I know how unfair it is, especially after all your other health issues, but I hope you can get through the treatments with a minimum of discomfort and with a complete recovery.  My thoughts are with you.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
britmom
I'm a grant getting

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 4:06:26 PM »

Cyano, I'm sorry you're going through this--my best wishes and positive thoughts to you.

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »

Good thoughts to you, Cyano.  My grandmother and my aunt both survived breast cancer, as have several of my friends.  It can be defeated.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
bookishone

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

You've got the strength to see this through, Cyano. And we're with you every step of the way.

My tag line is false.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: