• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:34:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hayfever!  (Read 24178 times)
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

I started to wonder this morning on my way into camous whether contact lenses were better or worse for allergy sufferers.  A friend swears by the former saying that his eyes bother him less when he wears his contacts this time of year, but I so rarely wear mine that I wonder if it would make much difference. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

I've wondered the same thing. I don't have any feeling if one is better than the other. The new lenses allow so much more moisture through to the eye than the old fashioned hard one, maybe they let in pollen too. I don't know. I can't say whether I feel better with or without them.

When I chop onions with my contacts in, I don't cry (whereas I am all tears with my glasses on). So if the lens is apparently impermeable to onion gas, I'm guessing it is to pollen as well. But there are probably differences in what makes ones eyes irritated in both circumstances.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

Apologies for the double post.

I started to wonder this morning on my way into camous whether contact lenses were better or worse for allergy sufferers.  A friend swears by the former saying that his eyes bother him less when he wears his contacts this time of year, but I so rarely wear mine that I wonder if it would make much difference. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think this is another YMMV situation. I was on allergy meds when I wore contacts and they gave me a massive headache if I wore them longer than a couple of hours because the meds gave me dry eyes.

I'm not on anything right now for my allergies (grass and dust) and just use my neti pot. I found that when I went off the pills (I think Claritin was the last one) that I went from having 3-4 headaches a week to 2 or so a month except in spring when it's 2 or so a week.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

I don't wear contacts, but just the thought of putting something like that in my watering/itching/painful eyes is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

I had to pry my eyes open this morning, literally. 

*moan*
*whine*

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 1:18:34 PM »

I'm wearing my contacts today as an experiment, and so far it seems to be working.  But the true test is later in the day when the headache begins.

punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 8:52:36 PM »

I just read that allergy season has come earlier to the South and Midwest due to the warm winter we had. Wonderful.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: