• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 153
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronic Illness and Academia  (Read 535722 times)
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #2040 on: February 20, 2012, 2:53:38 PM »

D*** scar tissue.

<<Hugs>>

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #2041 on: February 20, 2012, 5:25:58 PM »

Thanks. Physical therapy for the back started today. They're going to stretch me out (traction), buzz me (electrical stimulation), and float me (I get to play in the pool). And this is for 5 days a week for two weeks to start.

Fun!

Now, if the stomach would just behave itself...

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #2042 on: February 20, 2012, 5:32:39 PM »

Ugh, gennimom. I hope you feel much, much better soon.

Nucleo, how're you doing?

I came. I saw. I cited.
nucleo

« Reply #2043 on: February 20, 2012, 9:56:13 PM »

Nucleo, how're you doing?

Much better, thanks!  Finally went back to work part time after having taken three (!) weeks off.  (Must do major triage in one of my two courses.)  Still have another week to go on the doxycycline, but still much improved.

Gennimom, I hope your stomach is settling down at least a little bit.  And I hope everyone else is either stable or continuing to improve. 
gennimom

« Reply #2044 on: February 21, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »

Glad to hear you are doing better, Nucleo!

As far as my stomach is concerned, apparently I need to stop blaming my scar tissue for everything. I am on the network for my doc and hospital (VERY convenient!) and got a message saying the urine culture that was taken Saturday night came back positive. Hmm. Think that might have something to do with it? I also got a message that I have a prescription waiting at WallyWorld's pharmacy.

*sigh*

So, thank you, Nucleo, Biblio, and MsP. I hope to be feeling better VERY soon!

Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
gennimom

« Reply #2045 on: February 22, 2012, 2:08:36 PM »

Okay. Now I'm REALLY confused. I messaged my doc and he said the urinalysis was fine. Wha? I didn't think my reading comprehension was that off!

Well, Azo and I are friends for a day or two to see if it helps. Will go from there.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
gennimom

« Reply #2046 on: March 31, 2012, 4:54:22 PM »

I seem to follow my own posts here WAY to frequently.

Anyway, how is everyone doing? My stomach is at least bearable.

The latest thing is that I went in for another back injection yesterday. I'm still waiting for the long-term relief to kick in. That however, isn't the problem. When the nurse put the IV in (putting it in the front of my wrist), my BP dropped to the basement. OW. It was something like 67/32. They had me in a wheelchair to start with, but had me on a gurney pretty quickly after that. Oh, and they started me on IV fluids. Scary! This guy also does not knock me out enough. I get told there is going to be pressure, but that is very quickly followed by intense pain. I nearly came off the table.

Why can't they do something more with the sedative for me? I've asked! Oh, and I have a lovely bruise where the IV was.

No real question, just a vent. I like the results of the injections, I just really hate the process.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2047 on: March 31, 2012, 5:30:02 PM »

Oof, GM!  That's ridiculous that they can't sedate you or numb you enough for the injection not to hurt.

I'm doing mostly OK - the high pollen levels are not being friendly, but at least the medication seems to be keeping me from constantly being on the edge of asthma attacks.  The arthritis is what it is - it's spring and cool and rainy - but I can deal with that.  Apart from those I think I'm in pretty good health.

How's everyone else?  Ms.P, Nucleo, See_Wolf, Dept_Geek, (anyone I'm forgetting), I hope this last day of March finds you all in good health.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
msparticularity

« Reply #2048 on: April 03, 2012, 8:24:57 PM »

Hi, guys--and it's nice to see you, although not so great to see you here, you know? I've been having one long, but thankfully fairly mild, flare for the past month or so. Basically, I have flu-ish symptoms, especially the aches, and some inflammation in many/most of my joints. However, my PA has figured out that I can use the NSAID patches (Flector) on the really bad spots, and wow--what a relief! I've been using them on my lower spine because that area is the most acute and least bearable, and I'm actually not feeling much pain there these days!!

I'm afraid our lives right now are so crazy that things aren't likely to improve much: MrP is headed off Thursday to see his BIL, who is on hospice and not expected to last for much longer. Literally hours after he gets back, I leave for AERA in Vancouver, with a stop in Seattle to visit a friend on the way. My part of this is fun, of course, but crazy-stressful in terms of the travel, thanks to the logistics of a small town.

Hugs to both of you, and everyone else out there too!

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

gennimom

« Reply #2049 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »

Darn! No train ride to Vancouver! :D Glad to hear the patches are doing their job! Sorry to hear about MrP's BIL though.

Biomancer: If I have to get another injection from this guy, I plan to ask him about it BEFORE the day.

Oh, and as to the pollen levels? The other day we were driving through an area just before a storm came through. The wind had risen and it looked like there was a dust storm coming. It was dust all right, POLLEN dust.

Ick.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
susannemorgan

« Reply #2050 on: April 30, 2012, 1:51:57 PM »

Iíve been checking in periodically though havenít yet posted. I want to share with you the fact that my colleague, Stephanie Goodwin, and I have an article, ďChronic Illness and the Academic Career,Ē due out in the May/June issue of Academe.

You may notice some familiar words there, as we have drawn quotes from the forum, mostly from 2008. Your posts are anonymous in our article; we donít even use your pseudonyms.

We welcome your feedback on the article and want to thank you all for your contributions to this forum; they mean a lot to both of us and lots of other invisible readers. You may reach either of us at morgan@ithaca.edu or stephanie.goodwin@wright.edu.
msparticularity

« Reply #2051 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »

Susanne, I don't know if you're checking back here, but can you provide us with a link to the article, and/or a pre-press version of it? I've looked on the Academe website and I'm not seeing it out yet.

susannemorgan

« Reply #2052 on: May 11, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »

Yes, I'll be sure to post the link to the article! We expected it to be out by now, but maybe we were a bit too literal about the "May-June" issue and May Day.
msparticularity

« Reply #2053 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »

Excellent--thanks!

susannemorgan

« Reply #2054 on: May 23, 2012, 5:07:46 PM »

The article is out in the new Academe!! Here is the link: http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/academe/2012/MJ/Feat/good.htm

Some of you will recognize your voices, though from a couple of years ago. Should I discover some intriguing responses to the online article, I'll alert you. And you should comment there too!
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 153
  Print  

Jump to: