• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 3:01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: dumping service after promotion  (Read 27257 times)
polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »

Being the full prof means you have to take your turn on THAT HORRID COMMITTEE that you'd never saddle a junior faculty member with.

Gawd, no kidding. It's called service: you gotta serve whether you like it or not! That thing you get to choose--where personal interests are the only thing that matters--that is called research. Another thing to consider: if there's a committee no one wants to be on and you hold on to your place on the easy one because, well, you are a self-centered and coddled academic who can do that, it means another one of us has to continue our time on the crappy one(s). And maybe we'll go to the chair and b*tch about you (unprofessionally, of course).

It ought to be a little better than this.  Our chair attempts to match people to committees based on interest and expertise, and take requests from people. 

That's great in a place that has enough people to fill the necessary committees.  I'm starting a TT position in the fall and I will be assigned to committees on the basis of "we need someone and you have no current assignments".  After a few years, perhaps, interest will matter, but right now, a probably-trainable body in a slot is more important to a small place.

I guess size matters; my R1 department is big enough that there is some flexibility, and we try to match even the most junior folk to their interests, and give them the easiest committee positions so they've got departmental service on their CV with the minimum amount of time sucked.  We'd prefer that they go after program committee and editorial board positions that will advance their career than spend time in campus meetings.

Size matters a great deal.  Think of it this way, if the department has 5 things that need committees, each committee needs at least three people to function, and the department only has 10 people, then that's more committee slots than people and we haven't even gotten to the 5 external-to-the-department committees that need representatives or the 20 university-level committees for which having a representative from our department would be to our benefit.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
lightningstrike

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 1:59:30 PM »

Whatever happened to LightningStrike? Hey, LS, please come back and tell us that you are not as bad a colleague as you seem here.

I'm performing university service. That's where I've been. I'm serving on fewer committees, but I feel the quality of the service (results) and the interaction with colleagues on those committees have improved.

I only dumped meaningless soul-sucking service. I thought I covered that in the second paragraph of my original post.

There is nothing wrong with refining one's focus especially if the chosen service obligation is aligned with one's true interests.

Will the soul-sucking committees I abandoned be dumped on a junior colleague? No. That spot was taken over by another senior prof who is many times my senior. And in the future, when I am ready, I will do the same when the time comes. But not today.
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 3:25:07 PM »

Will the soul-sucking committees I abandoned be dumped on a junior colleague? No. That spot was taken over by another senior prof who is many times my senior. And in the future, when I am ready, I will do the same when the time comes. But not today.

Thank you for the clarification, and I apologize if I came off as snarky.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: