"Favorite" conversations with students

<< < (1480/1773) > >>

theritas:
Seriously high maintenance student: "I talked with <other instructor> who said you should <do things this way> to <allow me to do things the way I want to instead of the way you told me last time.>"

Me: "No, I'm not doing that.  It's the way I said, or I'm not granting <the thing for which you asked.>"

SHMS: "You mean I can't <just do what I please, even though "Daddy" just said it was okay?>"

Me: "No."

SHMS: <look of astonished dejection>

Me: <relief that at least he walked away instead of just standing here staring at me>

amlithist:
Remember the student I wrote about awhile back?  The one who stormed my office one day, proceeded to tell me how my class should be run, how my grading of her work was all wrong, etc., interspersed with several, "Shut up, I'm talking" remarks?  And the one whose nephew the campus cop dragged her, kicking and screaming, to see the VP of students?

Guess who's recently shown up as "withdrawn" on my class roster?  Woo-hoo!  I don't know if she did it, or if Admin kicked her out; I didn't receive so much as a peep of a paper or discussion posting from her, following that day in my office.  I don't care--she's gone!  Yay!

theritas:
Quote from: amlithist on October 17, 2013,  2:01:26 pm

Remember the student I wrote about awhile back?  The one who stormed my office one day, proceeded to tell me how my class should be run, how my grading of her work was all wrong, etc., interspersed with several, "Shut up, I'm talking" remarks?  And the one whose nephew the campus cop dragged her, kicking and screaming, to see the VP of students?

Guess who's recently shown up as "withdrawn" on my class roster?  Woo-hoo!  I don't know if she did it, or if Admin kicked her out; I didn't receive so much as a peep of a paper or discussion posting from her, following that day in my office.  I don't care--she's gone!  Yay!

I'm so pleased to hear that the right result came about - it seems so often that it does not.

llanfair:

Woot! That's worthy of the Inhaling Thread!

mathminion:

I was so impressed with your response to this woman.  Happy news that she is out of your life-Congrats!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page