• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:45:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: another CV question (is there a thread for these?)  (Read 2897 times)
kunsthistorikerin

« on: April 17, 2012, 7:04:42 PM »

I hope the wise forumites don't mind me asking yet another CV question here - if there is a dedicated "help with the CV" thread please do point me to it!

I've been awarded a prize by a European research institute.  The prize itself is listed on my CV.  The organization put together an award ceremony last year, and they invited a prominent scholar to give a lecture in my honor, which was super nice.  Now they have published the lecture as a small paperback book, as part of their ongoing "Lectures on this kind of Basketweaving" series.  The thing is, they have also included a five-page summary of my dissertation plus a one-page "highlights of KH's career" (based on my CV, and all of this with my permission, of course), and the foreword makes it clear that this whole thing is in my honor.  There's even two pictures of me in the book, and a detailed account of the award ceremony.

It's really very nice, and of course I can't wait to mail the little book to various friends, mentors, and my parents.  The question is, should I mention this publication in my CV?  Or should I just leave the line about "Received Such-and-Such Prize" as it is?  I can't list it as a "publication" since I'm not the one who gave the lecture; on the other hand the booklet is related to me and my dissertation, and has a lot about me in it.  If I do put it on the CV, how and where would I list it?  Under the same "awards and fellowships" section?  Should I list the summary and CV as a published "review" of my dissertation, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give - this is, I know, a rather pleasant, and perhaps even luxurious question to be asking!

KH

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:15:30 PM »

No, you can't list it under "publications."  I would just let the prize speak for itself...speaking of which, congratulations!!

Nor would I list the summary as a published "review" of your dissertation, since it is not a review, as such.

Facebook probably has a lot about you in it too, but you shouldn't include Facebook on your CV either.

Congratulations!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
larix

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:09:11 AM »

Facebook probably has a lot about you in it too, but you shouldn't include Facebook on your CV either.

^ This is awesome. I just spit tea all over my keyboard...So if you see a letter missing.

Congrats on the award KH.
kunsthistorikerin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 4:31:22 AM »

^ This is awesome. I just spit tea all over my keyboard...So if you see a letter missing.

Congrats on the award KH.

Yes, if I'd been drinking tea I would have spit it out laughing, too :)

Thanks for the input...the "summary" of the diss really does read like a positive book review, which is really very nice.  Having thought it over since the post, I am thinking perhaps I should add one line to where the award is already listed - so, under "fellowships and awards," where it is listed as "Nice Prize for Best Dissertation in the Field of Ugandan Basketweaving," I could add "Award Ceremony published under [citation here]."

The prize is one of those things that is fairly prestigious in my little subfield in the country where it was awarded, but not really known outside my specific subfield, and even in my field not well known in the USA.  That's why I am thinking maybe it's worth adding ten words, to add a little weight to the prize itself...but I don't want it to be seen as padding, of course, so maybe I should take YT's advice and let well enough alone.

Thanks again for the input, and the good wishes!
KH

anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 5:35:49 PM »

I may have to swipe that as a tagline, YT.

Congrats, KH!  It sounds very flattering, but I do agree with just keeping it listed as an award on your CV and maybe elaborating a little for clarity within the award section.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: