• June 26, 2016
June 26, 2016, 2:20:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Uterine  (Read 926934 times)
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3315 on: May 10, 2016, 1:54:32 pm »

My surgery is THIS WEEK!! Woo hoo. And panic-inducing. I'm not concentrating very well on work, so I've been amusing myself with reading through all the pages of this thread. There are some interesting stories and excellent wisdom out there.

Congratulations on your surgery. Don't forget to amuse yourself by going grocery shopping and stocking your shelves with lots of post-surgery treats and comfort foods.

Take care and best of wishes to you!

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
dr_know
It's hard out there for a

« Reply #3316 on: May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 pm »

Take care, Laudity.  Don't overdo it on the post-op walking.  My friend did too much today, and finally had to admit we were right and she needed to go home.  For her obedience, we rewarded her with fruit and chocolate.  Now she understands this is the time to trade on friendships!

My uterus has been acting pretty well.  It's time for me to get another Depo shot this week.  Other than a few mild cramps here and there, I haven't had any problems with it.

It's a real shame I'm too young and too poor to retire...
^Listen to Dr. Know.  She Knows.
laudity

« Reply #3317 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »

Thanks Melba and Dr. Know!

I'm amazed at how well I'm doing just a few days after major surgery. I'm walking around a bit, but trying not to overdo it.  I shuffled two blocks yesterday. Walking a bit definitely feels good. My main task is to listen to my body and make sure that I'm doing what it needs at any given moment.

I got to see pictures of everything from the procedure. Pretty darn cool.

Dr_know - glad to hear that your uterus is behaving these days.

alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3318 on: May 30, 2016, 1:41:36 pm »

Today started the third period for the month of May. I guess I'm going to be calling the gynecologist in the morning.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #3319 on: May 30, 2016, 9:49:51 pm »

Thanks Melba and Dr. Know!

I'm amazed at how well I'm doing just a few days after major surgery. I'm walking around a bit, but trying not to overdo it.  I shuffled two blocks yesterday. Walking a bit definitely feels good. My main task is to listen to my body and make sure that I'm doing what it needs at any given moment.

I got to see pictures of everything from the procedure. Pretty darn cool.

Dr_know - glad to hear that your uterus is behaving these days.

How are you feeling now, laudity?

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3320 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:30 am »

Today started the third period for the month of May. I guess I'm going to be calling the gynecologist in the morning.

And I now have an appointment with the nurse practitioner on Thursday.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
laudity

« Reply #3321 on: May 31, 2016, 12:38:03 pm »

Alastrina, good luck. Keep us posted.

Octoprof, thanks for asking. I'm doing well. Basically off pain meds now.  The recovery process has been easier than most of my periods, with the added advantage that I have a legit reason to be off work rather than try to push through the pain and bleeding, acting as if everything is normal.

I alternate between enjoying my new relaxed lifestyle and getting frustrated with not being able to do stuff. If I overdo it at all, my body sends me stabby pain reminders to slow down.

I find out soon if it was actually cancer. Wish me luck.
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3322 on: May 31, 2016, 1:24:34 pm »

Good luck and no-cancer juju!

alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3323 on: June 03, 2016, 1:59:23 pm »

And I now have an appointment with the nurse practitioner on Thursday.

They managed to get quite  a bit done at the appointment. I had the physical exam and the nurse practitioner said everything felt and looked fine. She had an ultrasound done. There is a small fibroid on the outside back of my uterus and a large (5cm) complex cyst on my right ovary. She doesn't think either caused the weird, heavy mid-month period. She thinks it's a thyroid issue and had blood drawn to check my FSH and thyroid levels.

I have to go back in 6 weeks for another ultrasound so she can check the ovarian cyst. After spending 5 minutes saying she did not have any concerns that the cyst could be bad, she said that since we were having blood drawn already, she wanted to have my CA 125 levels checked just in case.

laudity

« Reply #3324 on: June 07, 2016, 7:51:18 pm »

Alastrina, that sounds like a very productive appointment indeed! Good luck with the results.

As it turns out, my uterus was behaving very badly.  I did indeed have cancer, despite multiple doctors saying that wasn't possible. I'm a bit stunned, but everything should be fine. All the cancer was removed in the surgery and no further treatment is necessary, just close observation for a few years.

scampster

« Reply #3325 on: June 08, 2016, 4:10:48 am »

Alastrina, that sounds like a very productive appointment indeed! Good luck with the results.

As it turns out, my uterus was behaving very badly.  I did indeed have cancer, despite multiple doctors saying that wasn't possible. I'm a bit stunned, but everything should be fine. All the cancer was removed in the surgery and no further treatment is necessary, just close observation for a few years.

Laudity, I hope you are doing alright. That is quite scary to hear - but I am glad they managed to remove all the cancer in the surgery and everything is on track.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3326 on: June 08, 2016, 8:53:08 am »

Laudity, I hope you are doing alright. That is quite scary to hear - but I am glad they managed to remove all the cancer in the surgery and everything is on track.

Wow, Laudity, I'm glad they got it all. I hope everything is healing well and you're feeling good.

I found another thing to love about this practice. I got an email saying my test results were in and was able to log in to their patient portal to see the results and the doctor's notes about them.  Everything showed as normal.

TSH=1.95
FSH=7.3
CA 125=23 (ovarian cancer screen, under 35 is good)

I think I'm going to have to go see an endocrinologist. I have had the majority of the symptoms for hypothyroidism for more than a decade, but my tests always come back "within normal range."

laudity

« Reply #3327 on: June 12, 2016, 2:23:16 pm »

Alastrina, so glad that the CA 125 was normal! Good luck with the next stage of investigation.

I've processed my news and am now fine with it. My emotions are still a little touchy, though. I get extremely annoyed when well-meaning friends say things like "You must feel so relieved" [that it wasn't worse/ no further treatment required] or "You must feel scared."  And I wonder why I MUST feel anything. I'm making a mental note that when a friend goes through anything I will ask "how do you feel?" rather than making a statement. It's an odd linguistic quirk that many of us do, I'm sure.

Physical healing is coming along nicely. I'm still very aware when I have overdone things, so I'm trying to listen to the signals my body is sending and go sit on the couch at the first sign that anything is amiss. All this resting is making my mind a little crazy, though.
dr_know
It's hard out there for a

« Reply #3328 on: Yesterday at 01:35:35 am »

Laudity, I'm glad you're doing well.  I'm very glad they were able to get all of the cancer during your surgery.

It's a real shame I'm too young and too poor to retire...
^Listen to Dr. Know.  She Knows.
theatremom

« Reply #3329 on: Yesterday at 08:48:31 pm »

Just chiming in with what I freely acknowledge is a minor complaint: after 11 months with no sign of a period, not even any PMS symptoms, my period started up out of nowhere yesterday afternoon. So far, it's just spotting, but I'm having killer cramps and back pain, my feet are swollen with retained water, and my mood is swirling down the drain. Clearly, my body feels that this really is a full-blown period. SMDH.

<goes to the nearest corner to sulk and feel sorry for self>
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222]
  Print  

Jump to: