• June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016, 3:57:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips/advices on teaching a Doctoral Seminar in Business School  (Read 818 times)
Peter19

« on: June 22, 2016, 2:05:22 am »

Dear all,

I recently moved to a new Business School in NJ. I will be teaching a doctoral seminar for graduate students in the Spring semester. My PhD is from the UK and so I had limited knowledge of how a doctoral seminar would be taught here in the states.

I spoke with a couple of senior colleagues of my previous school and they all told me: Oh, it's easy! Just give them papers, ask them to present each week and you will play the role of a moderator for students' discussion.

I searched and found limited information about teaching doctoral seminar. I know that I have to prepare a reading list for this class whose students do not share the same area with me. This is thus a bit challenging!

Does anyone know any source that I can access? Any experience, tip or advice are highly appreciated!

octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 7:19:30 am »

Dear all,

I recently moved to a new Business School in NJ. I will be teaching a doctoral seminar for graduate students in the Spring semester. My PhD is from the UK and so I had limited knowledge of how a doctoral seminar would be taught here in the states.

I spoke with a couple of senior colleagues of my previous school and they all told me: Oh, it's easy! Just give them papers, ask them to present each week and you will play the role of a moderator for students' discussion.

I searched and found limited information about teaching doctoral seminar. I know that I have to prepare a reading list for this class whose students do not share the same area with me. This is thus a bit challenging!

Does anyone know any source that I can access? Any experience, tip or advice are highly appreciated!

Your colleagues describe them about right to me. In my doctoral seminars there was also, each semester, a requirement to complete a research paper on a related topic throughout the semester with help from the professor.

Why not ask your colleagues at your new school for old syllabi from the previous professors?

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
Peter19

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 3:16:47 pm »

Dear all,

Your colleagues describe them about right to me. In my doctoral seminars there was also, each semester, a requirement to complete a research paper on a related topic throughout the semester with help from the professor.

Why not ask your colleagues at your new school for old syllabi from the previous professors?

I have the old syllabi. They told me different profs have different approaches for this course. Not the same.

Another issue is students of this course do not share the same area with me.
dracula

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 3:28:34 pm »

In my experience, doctoral seminars in the US commonly consist of assigned weekly readings, usually primary source research articles, and maybe a chapter from an assigned text as well.  You could have students write a brief paper (i.e., critical analysis) about the assigned reading each week and lead a discussion about the topic in the class.  As octoprof said, an end of term research paper is also typical.
dracula

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 3:37:01 pm »

If figuring out what articles to assign is your problem, get a text for the subject and assign the articles discussed in the chapters.  Let the author of a reputable text in the subject do the work for you!  However, if you can't identify representative articles on your own, then how prepared are you to teach this class?
jimtheprof

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 5:14:46 pm »

In addition to what has already been noted...

You are teaching this in the Spring. Is it possible to sit in on doctoral seminars taught by your colleagues next Fall or this Summer?

You usually would want one student each week to be the discussion leader. In order to get a good discussion going, you may wish to consider requiring all students in the class to submit 2-3 questions to you ~2 days before each class meeting (graded as pass/fail) that pertained to the week's reading and you can forward these to the discussion leader. In my experience, this is very helpful because the discussion leader can use these questions as a jumping off point to stimulate a much better discussion than would be possible otherwise.

As has been stated, it's typical to require students to write a research paper (literature only or w/ proposed methods as well) and perhaps even present it to the class.
helpful
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »

Remember that you are mentoring doctoral students in a research process. Presumably you are a researcher. That is what you have in common with your students...research and research methodology, whatever the area or topic. Draw on that as your strength.
Peter19

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:36:23 am »

If figuring out what articles to assign is your problem, get a text for the subject and assign the articles discussed in the chapters.  Let the author of a reputable text in the subject do the work for you!  However, if you can't identify representative articles on your own, then how prepared are you to teach this class?

I have some represnetative/good articles now but still have to find more, expand the list further. The point is I plan to focus more on a very new area now in B school and so the reading list (research papers) may not be that rich enough in terms of content...

Peter19

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:40:30 am »

Tks so much, dracula and jimtheprof! :)

Very helpful! You guys give me some confidence in this course...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: