• July 25, 2016
July 25, 2016, 1:55:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unanswerable questions about students.  (Read 94301 times)
professor_pat
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2016, 5:49:23 pm »

Why don't they read the instructions?

Among the various term project reports I'm grading:
Nice bibliography of which no sources are cited in text
Sources cited using terminology like "The Department of Rural Basketweaving at Southern Outer Tasmania/Ecuador talks about..." (This from a senior major.) By this point in the grading process, I've given up caring about whether they use the stipulated citation style - I just want them to formally cite at all.
No actual data reported, only a few generalizations about it
None of the required illustrations included
Etc.

For each of these, they were given explicit, very clear instructions. I just don't get it. And I think it wasn't that they decided not to follow the instructions: they just didn't read them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 5:51:06 pm by professor_pat » Logged

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
Desiato

« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2016, 7:13:18 pm »

Why is "fair" always defined from your tiny bubble?
EXACTLY.

But I think we all realize these problem kids have been coddled and their reality is shocked when we place real world expectations on them.
drbrt

« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:43 pm »

Why are they surprised when the material in a course you are repeating for the fifth time is not interesting?

List? I am supposed to have a list? MONDAY IS COMING! ACK!
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #393 on: June 16, 2016, 2:01:59 am »

Why are they surprised when the material in a course you are repeating for the fifth time is not interesting?

Geez. Duh. <- aimed at the student, not you!

My favorite eval quote comes from a coworker. It's something like-

"They tell the same story at the same time during the course and most of them are dumb. I've heard everything so many times *I* could teach the course."

That came from a student who had taken the course for either a fourth or a fifth time and I don't believe they passed that time, either.

Uh... no.

On a serious note and related to repeating students- I try and have a conversation with any students who are repeats and try to convince them of the need to attend class regularly, take good notes, and act as if it's the first time in the course. I also try the scare tactic and tell them what's happened to student who don't take my advice!

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
fishprof
Super Duper Ooper Schmooper

« Reply #394 on: June 16, 2016, 2:55:30 pm »

How do they figure that grades of 57%, 62%, 65%, 67% and a final exam of 67.5% could EVER equal a 75% average?

"Before I hand back your exams, I'd just like to say how refreshing it is in this modern era to see that most students still don't give a damn about grades."
onthefringe

« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2016, 5:28:13 pm »

How do they figure that grades of 57%, 62%, 65%, 67% and a final exam of 67.5% could EVER equal a 75% average?

Well, 57 is clearly an outlier, and 67.5 is practically 70, which rounds up to 75, and they have an upward trend in their scores, and you totally said you would take that into account for people on the border between two grades, so it's definitely a 75.
mamselle

« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2016, 5:30:01 pm »

Unicorns counting on their hooves do magic arithmetic that way....

M.
dr_alcott

« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2016, 6:20:41 pm »

Well, 57 is clearly an outlier, and 67.5 is practically 70, which rounds up to 75, and they have an upward trend in their scores, and you totally said you would take that into account for people on the border between two grades, so it's definitely a 75.

Alternatively, I see three 7s in those five numbers. That averages out into 70-something.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
proftowanda

"Righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare."

« Reply #398 on: June 16, 2016, 6:29:01 pm »

Alternatively, I see three 7s in those five numbers. That averages out into 70-something.

Yes, and magical thinking absolutely allows not seeing the four 6s.   

"Face it, girls.  I'm older, and I have more insurance."     -- Towanda!
fishprof
Super Duper Ooper Schmooper

« Reply #399 on: June 16, 2016, 10:18:41 pm »

Yes, and magical thinking absolutely allows not seeing the four 6s.   

Maybe four sixes is twenty-four, and 100-24=76, so that's a C, right?

"Before I hand back your exams, I'd just like to say how refreshing it is in this modern era to see that most students still don't give a damn about grades."
baphd1996
You can't talk to me like that, I'm a

« Reply #400 on: July 22, 2016, 10:11:02 am »

Why don't you just finish the exam at your seat?  Why is there a need to finish the last couple of questions at the table where I'm collecting the exams?

You're all wrong!
niam8633

« Reply #401 on: Today at 08:29:14 am »

I have been in US and most of the people facing Dissertation and Assignment problem so I would like to recommend all those people who willing to come US for their studies to take guidance from Dissertation Assistance. They are the best as well as they know their work properly and in affordable prices.
For more: http://www.dissertationplace.co.uk/
niam8633

« Reply #402 on: Today at 08:30:06 am »

I have been in US and most of the people facing Dissertation and Assignment problem so I would like to recommend all those people who willing to come US for their studies to take guidance from Dissertation Assistance. They are the best as well as they know their work properly.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]
  Print  

Jump to: