• February 12, 2016
February 12, 2016, 6:33:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944]
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 4537931 times)
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #29145 on: February 09, 2016, 2:54:46 pm »

HióDr. Am,
Due to my overnight sickness; I failed to come to the class meeting. Itís like my body forced me to stay down, because I could lift my head halfway, but my back was discontent. Anyhow, I want to apologize for my actions and hope my work ethic will make up for this incident. For now, I promise that every assignment will be turned in and I will be 10 minutes early for every class period. I will even do extra credit work, even if I donít need the extra points. My attendance will be great and my participation will be excellent. I want you to remember this email, because at the end of the semester, everything I said in this email will show in the end.

Sincerely,
                              Online Student

1.  This is a 100% online class.  We do not have any F2F class meetings, ever.
2.  Reasons, promises, yadda yadda.
3.  Seriously? You are giving me an assignment/edict/order to remember this email because you missed a class that never existed?  WT living F?

I thought he might have confused me with/cc'd me on a message to another prof.  Nope; he's taking all online classes, and I know each of those profs--they never do F2F meetings, either.  And mine is a sophomore-level writing class.

As for me, my brain is discontent now, and I think my body is going to force me to stay down, too.  I'm not sure I have enough of a work ethic left to make up for it. 

And this is only Week 4.  I really need to pack it up and quit this job.

Dear Student,

Don't worry about it.  I was not at the meeting either.  By the way, what meeting?  When and where was it?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lithist.

Is it possible that this kid missed an orientation meeting of some sort?  Our institution requires first-time online students to go to an orientation meeting that would (try to) prepare them for the online experience, although it usually would happen before week 4.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xĖa|<δ⇒|É(x)-É(a)|<ε
amlithist

« Reply #29146 on: February 10, 2016, 6:34:10 pm »

Conjugate, no--no orientation at all, for either my class or any of the other three.  I checked with the other profs:  one has had him twice before in the same class he's taking now.  Another of the guys referred to the student as a bit of "a left-handed monkey wrench."  All of us got variations of the email I got; mine was among the least-puzzling, if you can imagine.

Kids, I'll tell you again:  don't drink (or do other things) and type!

I know:  if this is the worst it gets, I'll be fine.  Still, I just didn't even know how to process that message when I opened it.  I like your response, though.  As it is, we sort of drew straws in our 4-way email exchange, and the one who drew the short straw is going to take a stab at answering him in some sort of sensible way.

Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  Be kind, always.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #29147 on: Today at 12:15:18 am »

Conjugate, no--no orientation at all, for either my class or any of the other three.  I checked with the other profs:  one has had him twice before in the same class he's taking now.  Another of the guys referred to the student as a bit of "a left-handed monkey wrench."  All of us got variations of the email I got; mine was among the least-puzzling, if you can imagine.

Kids, I'll tell you again:  don't drink (or do other things) and type!

I know:  if this is the worst it gets, I'll be fine.  Still, I just didn't even know how to process that message when I opened it.  I like your response, though.  As it is, we sort of drew straws in our 4-way email exchange, and the one who drew the short straw is going to take a stab at answering him in some sort of sensible way.

Oh, please share when s/he does.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944]
  Print  

Jump to: