• May 3, 2016
May 03, 2016, 10:26:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]
  Print  
Author Topic: Classroom Victories  (Read 332199 times)
baphd1996
You can't talk to me like that, I'm a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1155 on: April 21, 2016, 8:46:51 am »

Prior to lab a student asked me a question, commenting that he couldn't read what I wrote on the overhead (yeah, still use one).  I answered the question and said "that's why I had the information on Blackboard".  He of course didn't realize the material was available online.  I immediately thought "Oh great, one of those".  During the lab, (It is small, 7 students)  It became obvious by the questions he was asking that he was colorblind.  I was using a blue pen, he could see anything.  Immediately his classmates surrounded him, helped him with his notes and explained things to him.  It isn't my victory, but I was proud of my students coming to his aid.

You're all wrong!
titian

« Reply #1156 on: April 26, 2016, 2:28:15 pm »

Prior to lab a student asked me a question, commenting that he couldn't read what I wrote on the overhead (yeah, still use one).  I answered the question and said "that's why I had the information on Blackboard".  He of course didn't realize the material was available online.  I immediately thought "Oh great, one of those".  During the lab, (It is small, 7 students)  It became obvious by the questions he was asking that he was colorblind.  I was using a blue pen, he could see anything.  Immediately his classmates surrounded him, helped him with his notes and explained things to him.  It isn't my victory, but I was proud of my students coming to his aid.

Very cool! The past couple of years I have usually had one or two male students per year who is/are red-green colorblind. Now I ask at the beginning of each semester and adjust the whiteboard markers that I carry around.

But the field in which I grow my fvcks is not only barren but has now been sowed with salt.
  " ... it is barren, yea, and will remain so, even to the end of the age." -- llanfair
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #1157 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:20 pm »

Very cool! The past couple of years I have usually had one or two male students per year who is/are red-green colorblind. Now I ask at the beginning of each semester and adjust the whiteboard markers that I carry around.

I don't get it. This sounds like the student was saying that when something was written in blue ink he couldn't see it at all. I've known a number of people who were color blind, but I've never heard of color blindness working that way.  For instance, my boss was color blind, but that primarily meant that when I did charts in Excel I used different line segments and fill patterns rather than rely solely on different colors to distinguish categories. But, he could see the lines/bars/whatever, no matter what color they were. He just couldn't always distinguish one color from another. The lettering didn't just disappear as though it didn't exist.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
archman

« Reply #1158 on: Today at 09:33:23 am »

Someone got a  perfect final exam score. Raw. All 50 questions correct.

This has not happened in several years.
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #1159 on: Today at 09:47:42 am »

Someone got a  perfect final exam score. Raw. All 50 questions correct.

This has not happened in several years.
Very cool, Archman. I'm hoping to get one of those sometime.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]
  Print  

Jump to: