• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Just sold my house  (Read 26113 times)
mozman
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 3:40:05 PM »

Also, how much cheaper would it be to buy a nice house elsewhere? What would you do with that extra money?

To get something we want, 50K to 100K less.

This place is actually cheap for what it is - there is a similar house near campus (without the acreage) that is 100K more, but you can walk to campus.

We wouldn't be house poor except under worst-case, but I tend to think in worst-case scenarios.  I'm thinking if spouse lost her job (I have tenure, she's non TT) and my supplementary salary didn't come in we would be hurting. Now, spouse likely won't lose her job, since I've made it clear that if she did, we'd be gone. And I've had good luck with funding. But nothing is guaranteed.

Could you grow the foot into another patient? I mean, you are a scientist.
monarda
younger looking

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »

I'm not sure where you live, but where there's a winter, electric shouldn't average several hundred a month.
You can conserve.

You need better insulation, a better air conditioner,
LED or CFL light bulbs, and energy star appliances.
And perhaps you need solar panels. These are worthwhile long term investments.
mozman

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 7:21:25 AM »

I think I've come to my senses. I love the house, but frankly the thought of driving up/down a half-mile steep narrow winding gravel driveway through the woods in the dead of winter gives me the heebie-jeebies.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 7:22:08 AM by mozman » Logged

mozman

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 8:37:21 PM »

Well, I think the housing market is picking up. Just made a full-price offer on a house (a different one) that's been on the market for all of 24 hours. Got beat by a full-price CASH offer.

Who has close to half a million just lying around?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 8:37:53 PM by mozman » Logged

undisciplined
Shoes Always Matter to a

Okay then.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 8:46:25 PM »

All sorts of investors here in Big, Exciting City. Commiserations, mozman.

I recommend bourbon and bonbons for that.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 9:09:52 PM »

Well, I think the housing market is picking up. Just made a full-price offer on a house (a different one) that's been on the market for all of 24 hours. Got beat by a full-price CASH offer.

Who has close to half a million just lying around?

If the house was priced to sell in this market, that kind of thing has been going on for a while.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
mozman

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 8:10:47 AM »

All sorts of investors here in Big, Exciting City. Commiserations, mozman.

This isn't exactly Big, Exiting City.

Oh well.  There's another house we are considering - same location as the one we lost.Its a perfectly nice house, but not my style. Kind of boring. But location is important - it'll be nice to walk to campus.

We'll see.

mozman

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 9:28:31 AM »

Sigh. What is it with people?

Made on offer on nice boring house. House has been on marker for over 6 months and now I know why - its very overpriced (by about 60K I think) and the owners want a full price offer. Made an offer in line with the comps and adjusted for some nice things they'd done. No deal - not even a counter, just "no thank you".

Fine. After thinking about it, made another offer, about 10K more than I really thought it was worth, but I'm tired of looking.  Still about 40K under their asking.

Still "no thank you", no counter. I told my realtor we're done with them at this point.

Look, if you don't want to sell your house, fine.  But then don't put it on the market and waste my time.

anon99

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »

Made on offer on nice boring house. House has been on marker for over 6 months and now I know why - its very overpriced (by about 60K I think) and the owners want a full price offer. Made an offer in line with the comps and adjusted for some nice things they'd done. No deal - not even a counter, just "no thank you".

Fine. After thinking about it, made another offer, about 10K more than I really thought it was worth, but I'm tired of looking.  Still about 40K under their asking.

Still "no thank you", no counter. I told my realtor we're done with them at this point.

Look, if you don't want to sell your house, fine.  But then don't put it on the market and waste my time.

You'd think by this point, they'd be doing a reality check.  Fingers crossed you find something in ideal location that is not boring.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »

I vented way back when about the MLS being cluttered with "listers," as opposed to sellers. Listers look like sellers at the first glance, but they're clinging to hope that a prince from Far Araby will come in and make a cash offer far above the market value of their house.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
powderfinger

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 2:29:31 PM »

Your experiences sound a lot like ours a few months ago.  I think a lot of real estate markets right now are essentially segmented into three markets.

Realistic sellers pricing close to comps - If these properties don't have major defects, they go very quickly, often in multiple offer situations.

Unrealistic sellers still bemoaning their lost value - These properties continue to linger on the market forever.

Foreclosures and short sales - A decent option for some, but too much hassle/risk for many (including us).

What's annoying is that while inventory levels are decent, the number of properties in the first category (at least in our experience) tends to be very small.  We had to wait quite a while - watching many great houses linger because they were priced 10-25% above comps and sellers wouldn't budge - and when we bought a house a few months ago, we bought it at full price having seen the house less than 6 hours after it was listed on the MLS and having written the offer immediately afterward.
mozman

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 2:50:22 PM »

Your experiences sound a lot like ours a few months ago.  I think a lot of real estate markets right now are essentially segmented into three markets.

Realistic sellers pricing close to comps - If these properties don't have major defects, they go very quickly, often in multiple offer situations.

Unrealistic sellers still bemoaning their lost value - These properties continue to linger on the market forever.

Foreclosures and short sales - A decent option for some, but too much hassle/risk for many (including us).

What's annoying is that while inventory levels are decent, the number of properties in the first category (at least in our experience) tends to be very small.  We had to wait quite a while - watching many great houses linger because they were priced 10-25% above comps and sellers wouldn't budge - and when we bought a house a few months ago, we bought it at full price having seen the house less than 6 hours after it was listed on the MLS and having written the offer immediately afterward.

I agree with this 100% (see my above post about losing a house listed for about 24 hours to another cash offer).

I think we may have to call it quits and wait for spring, I don't expect anything majorly nice to come on the market now as we're heading into winter. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Annoying as interest rates are sure to go up by then.

proftowanda

"Righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare."

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 3:29:19 PM »

I think I've come to my senses. I love the house, but frankly the thought of driving up/down a half-mile steep narrow winding gravel driveway through the woods in the dead of winter gives me the heebie-jeebies.

You did come to your senses, if it's a consolation while you're coping with the unrealistic sellers.

I know that you came to your senses, because I built that house, here.  Then, we had three horribly snowy winters, and plowing the half-mile long private drive cost $6,000, and that was more than thirty years ago.  Don't ask about the many times that we went days without being able to drive down our drive, as the regular plows got stuck, the replacement plows couldn't pull out the regular plows and got stuck, etc. . . .  We had to park at the highway and walk down through the snows.  I had to do so carrying a baby, a briefcase, and a diaper bag, and had to do so one day when a freak storm arose, and I did not have my snow boots with me.

And oh, the utility bills -- for electricity, yes, but also for constant septic tank maintenance and more.  Oh, and the taxes were low because all that they went for was the schools, so there was no garbage pickup, and we had to pay for that, too, because the town dump was many miles away and open only two hours per week.

And more I could tell you, much more about the country life, which is lovely for a few months of the year.

Now, that house is going on the market, and the realistic realtors are pricing it low, because it's a beautiful house with beautiful views, but it's a hassle.  Gimme the city, any time.  We get what we pay for in taxes.

"Face it, girls.  I'm older, and I have more insurance."     -- Towanda!
mozman

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 4:38:17 PM »

You did come to your senses, if it's a consolation while you're coping with the unrealistic sellers.

I know that you came to your senses, because I built that house, here.  Then, we had three horribly snowy winters, and plowing the half-mile long private drive cost $6,000, and that was more than thirty years ago.  Don't ask about the many times that we went days without being able to drive down our drive, as the regular plows got stuck, the replacement plows couldn't pull out the regular plows and got stuck, etc. . . .  We had to park at the highway and walk down through the snows.  I had to do so carrying a baby, a briefcase, and a diaper bag, and had to do so one day when a freak storm arose, and I did not have my snow boots with me.

And oh, the utility bills -- for electricity, yes, but also for constant septic tank maintenance and more.  Oh, and the taxes were low because all that they went for was the schools, so there was no garbage pickup, and we had to pay for that, too, because the town dump was many miles away and open only two hours per week.

And more I could tell you, much more about the country life, which is lovely for a few months of the year.

Now, that house is going on the market, and the realistic realtors are pricing it low, because it's a beautiful house with beautiful views, but it's a hassle.  Gimme the city, any time.  We get what we pay for in taxes.

Heh. I know. The house is still there - they came down in price about $25,000; I think they need to come down about another $100,000 or more. Its apparently been on the market off and on for over 5 years. The owners built it for around $650K (I think) 10 years ago, including the land.

Still, its a beauty. I can actually see it glinting on the mountain from town. The owners (absent, they've moved to Florida) had their own snowplow in the garage.

If I was a single man I think I'd still buy it, logistics and all. Oh well, its not to be...

mozman

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 5:18:18 PM »

And, after almost a year of searching, and 4 failed offers, we finally had an offer accepted on a house!

I finally gave up on trying to be walking distance to campus. Not enough inventory that net our requirement, and what was suitable went in multiple offer bidding wars (where we couldn't compete with cash offers) .

My realtor got an inside lead on a house before it came on the market - out of town (10 minute drive from campus) but otherwise stunning - custom architect-designed on an acre, with pond and phenomenal views. Down the street from a phenomenal school. Got an offer in and accepted within 5 hours of seeing it.

Now just need to inspect, close and move in, and finally get out of our tiny crappy rental.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: