• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:02:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176861 times)
corny
maizetastic, grained-up
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #12735 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »

I heart Yellowtractor.

I just spent 40 minutes uploading an application to one of those irritating HR sites. Not only did I have to type in my education (starting with high school), work history, and reference contact information, I also had to re-enter the reference information separately on some other website. Honestly, it's not like I don't have other things to do with my morning. Grrrrr.

Data, I like your attitude!

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
histchick

« Reply #12736 on: November 18, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »

TTO actually uploaded a letter to an application. It is an application I got in late for a job that was a reach. However, this does mean that he (a) wrote a letter and (b) knows how to upload a letter. Overall, I call that a win.

It's absolutely a win - congrats to you!

leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #12737 on: November 19, 2012, 1:00:31 AM »

I received a very nice e-mail follow-up after the initial interview request. It sounds as though the SCC has really read my materials thoroughly, liked them and I would be a good match for the department's current interests.

How often it happens in one's academic job search that the signals are so overwhelmingly positive about a certain position one has applied for?
barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #12738 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

I received a very nice e-mail follow-up after the initial interview request. It sounds as though the SCC has really read my materials thoroughly, liked them and I would be a good match for the department's current interests.

How often it happens in one's academic job search that the signals are so overwhelmingly positive about a certain position one has applied for?

Wonderful news! Happy-dance time!
somethingfierce

« Reply #12739 on: November 19, 2012, 7:07:56 PM »

Unfortunately that happens more than not.  Not only is the department interviewing you.  You are interviewing the department.  They put their best foot forward and try to sell themselves to each candidate.  It is incredibly frustrating as we try to gauge their receptivity based on how they treat us.
barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #12740 on: November 19, 2012, 7:14:08 PM »

Quick gripe: I hate it when my letter writers lie to me about submitting to Interfolio. I can check that, you know.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
lohai0

« Reply #12741 on: November 19, 2012, 8:08:51 PM »

I just got an email from a search committee that I should apply to both postdocs they had, because otherwise the committee couldn't consider me for the other. Of course I thought they only had one and have no idea which I applied to...

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #12742 on: November 19, 2012, 9:01:53 PM »

My job interview went well. If anything does come of this, though, it will be the hardest decision of my life because it would mean setting up a triple body situation. It's a lose-lose situation.

I have a Skype interview coming up and about one more application (maybe two) to turn in. This time I'll make sure to change the title of my CV to something more appropriate before uploading it to the school's website (It was late at night, it was the tenth revision I'd made and it was just yesterday, when I pulled up the last PDF version, that I noted that the title of the CV wasn't very appropriate).

I'm very happy at my post-doc and of course, I'd love to be there forever, but I know how these things in these parts work.

Keep trucking along, everyone!

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #12743 on: November 19, 2012, 9:03:42 PM »

Dead quiet on my front.

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #12744 on: November 19, 2012, 9:09:08 PM »

I forgot to mention that I was rejected (at least wiki-rejected) by the only place that would have been entirely compatible with my geographic determinism. That was difficult (but expected, for a number of reasons). It's not a job I would have been a good fit for (it was an R1), so I try to keep that in mind.

In my field, the season is pretty much over. There are still some deadlines ahead, but everything is too distance for me to even consider applying for (expect for one place--I'm still on the fence).

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
macattack

« Reply #12745 on: November 19, 2012, 9:33:04 PM »

I just got an email from a search committee that I should apply to both postdocs they had, because otherwise the committee couldn't consider me for the other. Of course I thought they only had one and have no idea which I applied to...

All that comes to mind is a Homer Simpson "doh!"  Let us know what you end up doing! Maybe there's a job # referenced somewhere in the email? Good luck!
lohai0

« Reply #12746 on: November 19, 2012, 9:56:23 PM »

All that comes to mind is a Homer Simpson "doh!"  Let us know what you end up doing! Maybe there's a job # referenced somewhere in the email? Good luck!

It was clear once I looked at the application. They have a math ed VAP and a math VAP. I'd not applied to the math one. Fortunately, mathjobs.org makes it about a 3 minute job to apply to a new place.

kiana

« Reply #12747 on: November 20, 2012, 1:31:18 AM »

Ooh ...

I got my first request for a phone interview!

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
lohai0

« Reply #12748 on: November 20, 2012, 1:37:30 AM »

Looks like I got my first rejection. Office mate scored a phone interview I didn't. Thrilled for him it is a great school. I do confess to a touch of self pity though.

barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #12749 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

Just got my first phone interview, and it's for a school I'm quite interested in.

kiana: Congrats!

lohai0: Sorry to hear that. Hang in there!
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: