• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:21:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: National Social Science Association--anyone heard of it?  (Read 6902 times)
marblehead

« on: November 18, 2012, 5:34:00 PM »

I got an email from the NSSA inviting me to submit a paper for their Las Vegas conference in March.  I did a google search for them to see if there was any more info online about them (aside from their own website).  I came across an old forum post by someone inquiring about the same thing, but not a lot of responses.

Anyone have experience with this organization?  Is it legit?  There are a few things on their website that make me a bit suspicious (they only accept checks for membership/registration fees, not credit cards, etc). 
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:48 AM »

Here's why I am skeptical. I am willing to be persuaded that this is legit.

1. The HQ of this organization are at its Executive Director's house in El Cajon. Not at an office with an obvious university connection.

2. Here's his college website, which flogs the National Social Science Press's (an affiliated outfit) teaching materials, in what appears a potential conflict of interest. http://www.jerrybaydo.us/

3. As far as I can tell their journal has no ISSN, and is not indexed anywhere.

4. Its main email contact is an AOL address, which is a bit outdated.

5. This thread: https://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=70521.0

Bottom line--the association, its director, and its affiliated publications seem sketchy to me. A second or third tier regional disciplinary conference is likely to be a better investment of time and money. I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise, but the presumption that this outfit is not quite legit is strong.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »

I'm not in the Social Sciences and even I've heard of this guy.  I think he has been discussed as a nutcase in several threads here as well.  Apparently he runs a textbook scam.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
helpful

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »

Never trust a man who wears a ball cap on his website photo.
tee_bee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »

I got an email from the NSSA inviting me to submit a paper for their Las Vegas conference in March.  I did a google search for them to see if there was any more info online about them (aside from their own website).  I came across an old forum post by someone inquiring about the same thing, but not a lot of responses.

Anyone have experience with this organization?  Is it legit?  There are a few things on their website that make me a bit suspicious (they only accept checks for membership/registration fees, not credit cards, etc). 

This outfit came up on earlier threads. My conclusion is that it's either a low visibility, very low prestige meeting, or a scam. A regional meeting in any soc sci discipline will be an order of magnitude more valuable than this non-conference.
history_grrrl

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 1:35:50 AM »

Not related to the OP's question, but this guy's course syllabi are very poor.

helpful

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »

And he flogs his books as required reading for his courses.
tee_bee

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 7:06:51 PM »

Dear god. The only even remotely well written parts of these syllabi are the boilerplate language on accommodations for disabled students, and this guy doesn't even take out the parts of the boilerplate that are provided as instructions on how to use the boilerplate language. This guy is a piece of work.
drmamaanthro

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 2:09:16 PM »

I've just posted on the earlier thread about this organization, after having received the call for papers for the conference and wondering about the organization. As an anthropologist and social scientist over the past ten years, I have never heard of this organization. Also, last year, I received an invitation from them, and dr. Bardo, to use their text for my intro to cultural anth course. After looking it over, in spite of its relatively low cost, I decided the quality of the writing and information that it contains is definitely subpar. Intellectually, if one looks at this textbook as representative of the organization, I would say that the level is about at the level of development of your average middle schooler or advanced sixth grader.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

The National Social Science Association has been around for over 25 years. It started with community college faculty who had limited opportunities to present at national conferences.

Jerry Baydo helped organize the NSSA. There is an Executive Board that meets to set policy, provide for election of officers, organize conferences, and direct publications, such as proceedings, journals, and books.

In this publish or perish world, NSSA has done a yeoman's job of helping community college and now college/university professors present and publish.

The organizations materials go through a review process just like any other organizations.

I have personally been involved in it for over 25 years. As a professor of Social Sciences and now Instructional Design & Technology in a university of 6000 students, NSSA has been my venue of choice.

It is a comfortable meeting of like-minded faculty who wish to learn, grow and do so in a friendly setting as compared to some 'cut-throat' conferences that I have been involved in.

I highly recommend NSSA especially for community college faculty and new professors to the Academy.

- From Kansas
corky1974

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »

Yes, I am a member of the organiation and have been for a number of years.  Faculty members from such universities as Villanova, Austin Peay, San Diego State, and other small colleges and universities are members of NSSA.

Its website is at http://www.nssa.us

To respond to some of the comments in this Blog.

[1] The board choose to keep the HQ in the least expensive environment, thus no big expensive buildings to rent and/or maintain. This keeps membership dues and conference registrations at a lower and very affordable cost.

[2] As to NSSA journal indexing, this is done through Cabell and Ebsco. You may look them up. They are legitimate indexing services.

[3] In reference to book publishing by NSSA, commercial companies are extremely difficult to publish with due to costs and publishing companies priorities. Professors are looking for other outlets. Self-publishing, small publishing houses, online publishing are all ways that are being tried in order to get a professor's work into the public domain. In fact, NSSA is a legitimate small third-party publishing organization. It is accepted by our university for publishing books. NSSA provides a great service for professors at community colleges and small universities/colleges.

[4] Since some of the Blogs here are critical of NSSA, in my opinion, without basis. I would invite professors to attend one of the conferences and make an informed judgment about the importance and usefulness of the National Social Science Association.

Become informed rather than make judgments based upon limitied information.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 1:23:43 PM »

Am a board member of the association which now have over 2,500 hundred members at two and four year colleges.

Conferences and seminars give two and four year college instructors an opportunity to present papers dealing with research, technology, and teaching.  Plus there are two blind refereed journals along with a proceedings publication.

Association had its 25th anniversary meeting over three years ago.  Director has taught at a variety of colleges both two and four year and is a textbook writer and winner of national teaching awards. He works with other faculty in providing low cost interactive textbooks for college students.

You should give this association an opportunity.

From New York
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 2:42:36 PM »

SecretaryX, meet 11252242.  I think the two of you will hit it off beautifully!

sagit
And... we're off!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 1:05:51 PM »

SecretaryX, meet 11252242.  I think the two of you will hit it off beautifully!

They could invite corky1974 and have a grand old time.  Of course, the conversation may be stilted given that SecretaryX only seems about to speak by using quotes from other people.

I like to think of the student as a mischievous badger.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 4:46:01 PM »

The National Social Science Association has been around for over 25 years. It started with community college faculty who had limited opportunities to present at national conferences.

Jerry Baydo helped organize the NSSA. There is an Executive Board that meets to set policy, provide for election of officers, organize conferences, and direct publications, such as proceedings, journals, and books.

In this publish or perish world, NSSA has done a yeoman's job of helping community college and now college/university professors present and publish.

The organizations materials go through a review process just like any other organizations.

I have personally been involved in it for over 25 years. As a professor of Social Sciences and now Instructional Design & Technology in a university of 6000 students, NSSA has been my venue of choice.

It is a comfortable meeting of like-minded faculty who wish to learn, grow and do so in a friendly setting as compared to some 'cut-throat' conferences that I have been involved in.

I highly recommend NSSA especially for community college faculty and new professors to the Academy.

- From Kansas

I can't speak for teaching faculty, but as someone who is responsible for mentoring our pre-tenure research faculty, this advice should be approached with extreme caution.  For better or worse, tenure track faculty need to concentrate on publications that will count for tenure.  Publishing in events with questionable reputation can be worse than not publishing at all.  Not only will the citation get tossed from the tenure package, but the judgement of the candidate will be thrown in doubt.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: