• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens in this situation with money?  (Read 1710 times)
against_the_tide

« on: November 18, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

If the PI of a grant moves to another university, but a co-investigator with a limited role (10% effort) remains, can the university fight to keep the grant and give it to the co-investigator?

I am writing a grant, but want to make sure it goes with me, should I change jobs in the future.  Would it be best to have NO collaborators in my department and/or school; but work with outside collaborators?

Thank you.
grantsinger

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »

I'm in research administration, and I've seen this issue before. To answer your specific question, yes they can, but it's my experience that they don't.

From what I've seen, the university is usually pretty willing to let the project go, provided there is an agreement to provide for the Co-I who will remain (i.e. issue a subcontract from the new institution). I've worked on both sides of this, where a professor was leaving the university (and leaving a collaborator here) and where we had someone bring a grant with them.

I think the only situations where the university might fight to keep it is where you've purchased great equipment that other people can use, your Co-I could successfully complete the project, or the like.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a
Distinguished Senior Member

No recess.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »

I've related this elsewhere:

Two of my colleagues left last year. The funding agencies did not want to transfer the grant but instead wanted the grant to stay here and the funding be let under a subaward to them at their new place. They both asked me to take over their grants as local PI, and I stupidly agreed.

It turned out to be a giant pain in the ass. Both colleagues get funding from the same programs I do, and since I'm the PI of record, their annual reports are actually on my head. One NSF grant got held up because one of my former colleagues did not get his annual report in by the deadline. Another grant was chopped up into individual tasks and travel, with all approvals to be done by me for each task.

So, while you are probably able to move the funding with you if/when you do leave, spare a thought to the poor sod left behind to clean up.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: