• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 10:07:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disabled student wants never to come to class or have any deadlines  (Read 3278 times)
polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »

<snip>
You mean competency testing? What a novel idea.
<snip>
Is this unusual? The paying for the course and taking the final exam, alone, as a means to earn the credit, I mean.

Here's an example of the worry: http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/11/college-credit-for-online-courses-and.html

Some people around these fora are worried about losing their jobs; why should all of us be lecturing to a classroom of 25 to 40 a few times a week when one of us could set up a course that has 20 000 people every year?  Other people are greatly saddened by the cavalier pandering with college education as mere job training or hoop jumping rather than the glorious undertaking of thinking, questioning, and exploring ideas that shaped us.  The value of a liberal arts education is greatly discounted when everything is reduced to certificates of competency acquired by a test, particularly for those who were not well served by the K-12 system and could benefit a lot by targeted teaching by someone dedicated. 

One worry is the demise of a good many places that currently cater to warm bodies who don't know what they need, but are choosing to go somewhere with a sports team or something because of a vague idea that people should go to college instead of choosing University of Phoenix or DeVry at age 18.  The hope is that we can reach some of those people and convert them eventually to the value of education.  However, many people are never converted and instead merely have their idea reinforced of school as a game with a series of irrelevant hoops to jump.  Spork is a vocal proponent of the wholehearted endorsement of getting more people through the training they are sure they want in a timely manner using non-classroom means rather than pretending that cattle-call classes are somehow good approximations of the classrooms that many of us have as our model of how college is more than job training or badge accumulation.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 3:08:10 PM »

Polly, no I haven't spent much time on the MOOC threads. And, I fully agree with you and OFP about a need in some classes to use methods other than testing, but those aren't generally the classes that tend to have high-stakes cumulative finals, either. I'd never suggest that this would be appropriate, or even that it be offered, for all classes. I was just surprised that it seemed to be thought a novel approach. For those skills classes--particularly the lower-level ones--that you mention it has been around a long time.

FTR, I think the folks in the OP's SDR office are idiots, in positions/an area above or outside their competency level, lazy, or some combination of the three.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
lucy_

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:29 AM »

OP, sounds like you and your admin are working this out, that is good.

I had a student who missed a lot of a lecture class of mine; got a C without being there much, both of us seemed ok with that.

But then the student signed up for another class of mine, where discussions and prep for those discussions was ~25% of the grade. I told the student that she/he had to find a way to be there.

I talked with my department head and she/he agreed.

Miraculously this student was able to make the class when she/he knew she/he had no other option. But couldn't when she/he was not held accountable.

And sorry to everyone here who described such wicked migraines. Mine are not nearly so bad, and I know what that's like to function with.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: