• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:42:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Airball (remember me?) comes out as a novelist  (Read 12265 times)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Great on the PW review and on Kirkus. Kirkus never likes anything.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

It really has been an amazing year or so since I started the move. (I had an on-campus a year ago last week.)

A bit off topic, but this route is one that more PhDs need to consider. Fewer students per semester, higher salary, and my high school freshmen can write circles around most of my college students. And they're sending me to China for three weeks this summer.

For what it's worth, I just got a starred review from Publisher's Weekly

Airball, I'm glad you've been successful! But this is totally spamming. If you want the thread to stay, I suggest you PM "moderator" and ask them to remove the links from your posts to this thread.

Congrats!

VP

Don't take Airball's thread, and is it really spamming if a forumite goes out and makes good and shares a link?

prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

It really has been an amazing year or so since I started the move. (I had an on-campus a year ago last week.)

A bit off topic, but this route is one that more PhDs need to consider. Fewer students per semester, higher salary, and my high school freshmen can write circles around most of my college students. And they're sending me to China for three weeks this summer.

For what it's worth, I just got a starred review from Publisher's Weekly

Airball, I'm glad you've been successful! But this is totally spamming. If you want the thread to stay, I suggest you PM "moderator" and ask them to remove the links from your posts to this thread.

Congrats!

VP

Don't take Airball's thread, and is it really spamming if a forumite goes out and makes good and shares a link?

Airball also asked whether the link was OK in the OP.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

And sharing one link isn't spamming.

Spamming: Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

I think this will probably end up falling on the side of removing the links, however much we like airball.

May I suggest that those interested can PM airball for the link? I know I would hate to see the thread linkless and have no way to figure out what the book actually was, especially since airball/Sam is so excited to share.

And yes, it looks great. Congratulations!

Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

Well, if this is spam, it's the first time I have ever responded by clicking the link. This is different because Airball is an established member of this community and the post was, in part, an update on the previous topic of leaving academe.  It's encouraging to see how folks in the humanities are finding alternative routes for scholarship and teaching. That said, I just pre-ordered Airball's book. Now that I'm finished with my dissertation I realize how starved I've been for pleasure-reading. I'm also a history buff and an advocate for midwifery.  Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:52:24 AM by ellaminnowphd » Logged

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »

Well, if this is spam, it's the first time I have ever responded by clicking the link. This is different because Airball is an established member of this community and the post was, in part, an update on the previous topic of leaving academe.  It's encouraging to see how folks in the humanities are finding alternative routes for scholarship and teaching. That said, I just pre-ordered Airball's book. Now that I'm finished with my dissertation I realize how starved I've been for pleasure-reading. I'm also a history buff and an advocate for midwifery.  Looking forward to it!

Where's the like button?

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »

Removing the links but leaving the book's title and author should be fine, right.  I agree this isn't spamming, though it might technically violate the ToS.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 1:08:02 PM »

Nicely done, Airball!
I don't usually read historical fiction, but this one sounds good so I think I might have to make an exception.
My partner has a good friend from grad school who made a similar move many years ago, and he's now much happier and more successful than any of the rest of us. I wish the same for you.

prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 4:32:16 PM »

If sharing a link is not OK, then the entire "unnatural love" thread needs to be deleted.

Also, the shoe thread.
Also, dinner tonight.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 4:45:07 PM »

If sharing a link is not OK, then the entire "unnatural love" thread needs to be deleted.

Also, the shoe thread.
Also, dinner tonight.

Actually, all of the long threads contain commercial links. And we like them.

new_anth

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 7:35:58 PM »

Airball,

You're my hero. Congrats on the job movement and on sneakily working on your own passions! And on the positive review in PW!
untenured
On far too many committees
Member-Moderator

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »

Airball, congratulations. 

Can you share with us how you went from aspiring novelist to two-book contract?  Getting fiction published, I'm told, is awfully difficult.  You must be quite the writer!

Quote from: kedves link=topic=56697.msg1152543#msg1152543
You are among the Pure and Truthful, however small their Number.
My goodness, that was an exceptionally good analysis of the forum.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 9:51:27 AM »

Can you share with us how you went from aspiring novelist to two-book contract?  Getting fiction published, I'm told, is awfully difficult.  You must be quite the writer!

This.  It's great to read that someone successfully made the jump, but how was that done?

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
airball
Groom of the Stool &

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 2:35:14 PM »

The good news is that I came into it knowing nothing at all (and nobody at all) in the publishing business. And, weirdly enough, the process is not dissimilar to finding an academic position.

First, of course, I wrote the book. I based it on a lot of the research I'd already done, which might have helped get people interested. (My protagonist is a fictionalized version of a real midwife.) After my sister tore it apart -she used to edit Vonnegut and Amy Tan- I rewrote it, and went looking for an agent.

There are a ton of online resources for finding agents, but the most important thing is fit. ID agents who have represented books like yours and are actively searching for similar works. Then I sent out the dreaded query letter, which you hope will lead to a request to read the manuscript. (This is basically your job letter, but shorter.)

The query letter, oddly enough, was the easiest part. The first thing you have to do is put together a one-page letter introducing yourself and your work. In terms of substance this had nothing in common with my job letter, but after a decade on the market, if there's one thing I can write it's a concise description of my writing. I wrote to a dozen or so agents, and received a few requests for opening chapters/the full manuscript.

This is when the angst gets bad. One big time agent said, "I'll get back to you Monday." This made Monday the longest day ever. She turned it down, but gave me some great feedback. (Basically, I had a one-suspect mystery. Duh.) So I rewrote, and sent out a second batch of query letters, and again I got positive responses. In the end I had two offers of representation.

Then the fun began, as my agent shopped the manuscript around to the major publishing houses. Cue the dollar signs dancing before your eyes. I wound up with a two-book contract (editors like books in a series) worth - to be honest - about half a year's salary. I've since sold rights to Germany, and hope UK will follow suit. I wrote a sequel, and am now about 1/3 of the way through the third in the series. Based on this, my agent will try to get books three and four under contract. Here's hoping.

For what it's worth if there are regulars here who have written a novel, I would be happy to pass it along to my agent. He is Josh Getzler at HSG Agency. Before you ask, be sure he reps your genre. He's done a number of mysteries, especially historicals, as well as a zombie book, The Reapers are the Angels, and a young-adult trilogy. It's a million miles from a guarantee, but at least you'll get past the administrative assistant who does the initial winnowing.

History would kick your ass around the Bodleian Library, and then it would smile and laugh.
-scheherazade
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: