• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 6:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SCs, Cover Letters, and Annual Conventions  (Read 76358 times)
aristof_ns
it's harder to get a TT job than to become a

PhD ISO LAC

« on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

A question for folks with SC-interviewing-at-MLA experience:

Another thread is discussing the importance of going to annual conventions even if you don't have an interview. This year, I'm too broke to put a plane ticket on my credit card (much less lodging and food!), so I didn't say anything in my cover letter about the conference, even when schools said they were interviewing there. My office mate thinks this absence makes me look less-than-serious.

My question is: In your experience, do SCs reject or even look with suspicion on candidates who don't specifically state that they'll be going to the conference?

Is not American literature the minor literature par excellence, insofar as America claims to federate the most diverse minorities, “a Nation swarming with nations”? —Gilles Deleuze
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »

It is becoming increasingly clear that your office mate has no clue about anything.  He was wrong on the diversity thing, too.

aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

A question for folks with SC-interviewing-at-MLA experience:

Another thread is discussing the importance of going to annual conventions even if you don't have an interview. This year, I'm too broke to put a plane ticket on my credit card (much less lodging and food!), so I didn't say anything in my cover letter about the conference, even when schools said they were interviewing there. My office mate thinks this absence makes me look less-than-serious.

My question is: In your experience, do SCs reject or even look with suspicion on candidates who don't specifically state that they'll be going to the conference?

Systeme_d is right.

However, in your letter you should say something like, "I am unable to attend the MLA convention, but will be glad to speak with you via phone or teleconference should you desire to consider my candidacy further."  Just for the sake of clarity.

Que scay-je?
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 1:09:17 AM »

We would notice if you pointed out that you couldn't make the conference, but not if you said nothing at all.  I suspect it wouldn't affect whether or not we call you for a conference interview.  However, once we make that call, I don't know whether or not you could do an interview with us by phone.  You need to be prepared for scs who are unable or unwilling to make other arrangements.  It won't be everyone, but it will almost certainly be some.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
jacaranda_

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 8:13:10 AM »

OP -- if you got four interviews during the next 3 weeks, would you really still not go? You can leave out the line about going to the conference, but in future I wouldn't announce the fact that you will not go.  Some committees will eliminate you for that, esp. if HR has strict policies about all candidates being interviewed the same way.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »

OP -- if you got four interviews during the next 3 weeks, would you really still not go? You can leave out the line about going to the conference, but in future I wouldn't announce the fact that you will not go.  Some committees will eliminate you for that, esp. if HR has strict policies about all candidates being interviewed the same way.

This is a good point; however, if you know for sure you won't go, it's a kind and professional gesture to state that you aren't.  Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Que scay-je?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: