NOT Digital Natives

<< < (2/16) > >>

infopri:
Even if they're smart enough to change the author's name in the document properties, geonerd, all is not lost--you can still bust 'em on the time the document was created.  (Every Microsoft document has a timestamp to the nearest second in the "Advanced Properties" box.)

Last year, I had nine students in one class each hand in a homework file (each with his or her own name in the properties), and all nine files were created at the exact same moment.  If they'd all been created at the same minute, I might have at least considered coincidence (they started the assignment in lab)--but the same second?  Busted.  (They all got a zero on the assignment and a written explanation of the reason--and not one of them complained or said boo about it.)

melba_frilkins:
Quote from: infopri on February 08, 2013,  7:12:47 PM

Even if they're smart enough to change the author's name in the document properties, geonerd, all is not lost--you can still bust 'em on the time the document was created.  (Every Microsoft document has a timestamp to the nearest second in the "Advanced Properties" box.)

Last year, I had nine students in one class each hand in a homework file (each with his or her own name in the properties), and all nine files were created at the exact same moment.  If they'd all been created at the same minute, I might have at least considered coincidence (they started the assignment in lab)--but the same second?  Busted.  (They all got a zero on the assignment and a written explanation of the reason--and not one of them complained or said boo about it.)

How do you have students turning in the papers? On the CMS that my campus uses, when I download a student's paper, the timestamp seems to be "updated" to the time when I downloaded it, and the original info is just gone.

wonderbread:

They are also mystified and amazed at this thing called "Google Scholar".

YEP.  I had a student last year asking me for help finding scholarly sources in our library database.  I sent him a long email detailing search strategies and he replied "Oh nevermind, my roommate just told me about this thing called Google Scholar.  Have you heard of it?"

Yum, yes undergrad.  I have heard of it.  Thanks though?

mountainguy:
Hoo boy, I've long hated the phrase "Digital Natives" with a passion normally reserved for right-wing politicians and certain PepsiU administrators. Don't even get me started.

I will say that I've had some luck in the past semester or two with frequent quizzes designed to make sure that students have certain skills that are absolutely essential to my class. Some of them still can't get those skill right when assignment time rolls around, but the quizzes make it impossible for them to argue that they didn't understand how to do something.

FWIW, I shared with my students today this journal article about the effects of cell phone usage during classtime. We read the abstract and the introduction out loud. I then summarized the results section with them. Most students nodded in understanding when presented with convincing evidence that cell phone usage during class time is harmful to their learning. One slightly older than average student chimed in that has GPA had risen since he quit Facebook a year ago. But in the very same class, another student argued that it was his tuition money and that if he wanted to learn the material on his own after class, that should be his choice. I replied: "As long as it's an informed decision that you accept responsibility for, that's up to you."

barcrossliar:
They are natives in the same way that the descendants of American western pioneers were western natives.  Their ancestors had to be stubborn problem solvers.  The kids, not so much.

In the my early computing days, all the computer gave you was a blinking cursor.  My cohort had to program, figure out all sorts of problems, and re-write command files. We had no choice.  Kids born in 1990 just point and click.  Only the really motivated ones are going to learn how things work. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page