• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:27:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CV Question  (Read 3700 times)
yosi43

« on: May 03, 2012, 4:37:13 AM »

Hi all,

I have a question regarding my CV. I apologize if I sound like I am jumping the gun here, but I'm just very excited and am getting really into being back in school and starting grad school. I will be starting a phd program in the social sciences in the fall, and I was updating my CV and was wondering at what point things start to expire in terms of belonging on a CV for a grad student? For instance, if I have conference presentations that were given as an undergrad, do I delete those now, wait until I (hopefully) have some as a grad student, keep them forever? Another example, I am currently on a Fulbright grant--at the risk of sounding like I want the word fulbright on my resume/CV as long as possible (which in truth I suppose I do, sorry if that is pretentious), how long can that stay on? Work experience, awards from undergrad, etc.?

I realize this probably differs from field to field and it probably frankly won't matter for a little bit, but I do plan on hopefully applying for grants/fellowships next year so I am curious if people have opinions or advice on this. Thanks!
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 4:50:17 AM »

I don't know what the right answer is, but a Fulbright would stay on my CV under the awards section for a long time.

I kept my bigger undergrad stuff on my CV through my masters degree and started plucking it off as I progressed through my PhD and had other awards, presentations, etc. At some point, you feel silly having it on there, since it has been superseded by bigger and better things.

At this point (2 years post PhD), I have one or two very relevant research items from my undergrad on there, but they are amidst a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't think you should think of these things having a time limit, but rather think of them in terms of how they portray your experience and professional path.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
seniorscholar

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »

I don't know what the right answer is, but a Fulbright would stay on my CV under the awards section for a long time.

Mine has been on my c.v. for (quick break to do the math) -- oh, look at that! Exactly 40 years once I realize that I got the award letter in May. Admittedly, it's now at the bottom of the "Honors and Awards" section; the other undergrad and MA awards have long since disappeared.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 4:41:39 PM »

+1  Anything as significant as a Fullbright stays forever.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: