• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 494
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Parents Drink  (Read 878602 times)
bioteacher
chocolate loving
Distinguished Senior Member

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #3285 on: May 05, 2012, 6:38:06 PM »

Polly, you need to get him a WTF stamp, too. Then it won't matter how many points the paper is worth, since a 35 is generous for a WTF-worthy paper. :-)

Biblio, what does it say about your students that a 6 year old thinks the writing doesn't sound like a student? Or is your Littlebib a prodigy? :-)

Irhack, clearly, you have raised IRson well.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #3286 on: May 05, 2012, 6:41:18 PM »

Do you have a safe for upcoming papers?

Yes.  I've read too many of the stories here about kids getting into unguarded papers so that's one reason that either the papers are at the office, in the locked closet to go to the office, or in my hand being graded one at a time.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
bibliologos
After eight years of mostly lurking, finally a

« Reply #3287 on: May 05, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »

Bioteacher, LittleBib is in grade six, so almost 12. Unfortunately not a six-year-old prodigy. Yet she can hear the difference in voice that my uni students cannot.

It can't be a minor offense. In academia there are only two kinds of offenses: Appalling Offenses, and Unforgivably Appalling Offenses.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #3288 on: May 06, 2012, 9:18:12 AM »

Earlier in the week, Blocky and I visited my office for a quick drop-off and pick-up to return library books.  Blocky insisted that we stay in the office long enough for him to help me grade papers.  Luckily for me, Blocky doesn't yet know what student work looks like, so I handed him a stack of the used-on-one-side print-outs that I keep for scrap paper and a sharpie so he could grade papers.  He's getting pretty good at circling various words and putting question marks next to them before putting a random number at the top of the paper.  His students had better hope he's grading out of 35 because that's the highest grade he ever writes.

I laughed out loud.  Thanks for sharing this, Polly!

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3289 on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

Moments ago, this phrase came from the living room ( spoken by BalefulSpouse):

"BalefulTeen....There is nothing wrong with READING the question!"

This prompted gales of laughter from me.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #3290 on: May 06, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »

Bioteacher, LittleBib is in grade six, so almost 12. Unfortunately not a six-year-old prodigy. Yet she can hear the difference in voice that my uni students cannot.

Ah, I failed reading comprehension again. But still, to hear a difference in voice at that age is impressive!

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #3291 on: May 06, 2012, 1:12:22 PM »

Some of the above reminds me:  I was a TA during the time my daughter was 2-4.  Never once did she have any interest in the papers I was grading.  She did like walking down our bookshelf, and tipping one social theory or methods volume onto the living room rug, however.

Taste o' the Sixties
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #3292 on: May 06, 2012, 2:58:19 PM »

Sea Monkeys.
dr_alcott

« Reply #3293 on: May 06, 2012, 4:18:33 PM »

Little Man was writing a paragraph recently, and just to taunt me, he said, "Mom, I'm cutting and pasting but I'm not citing my sources! And I'm not using quotation marks either!"

Sea Monkeys.

Story, please?

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #3294 on: May 06, 2012, 5:27:40 PM »

Little Man was writing a paragraph recently, and just to taunt me, he said, "Mom, I'm cutting and pasting but I'm not citing my sources! And I'm not using quotation marks either!"

Oh, is he a trip!

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
dr_alcott

« Reply #3295 on: May 06, 2012, 5:30:48 PM »

Oh, is he a trip!

He knows exactly which buttons to push. Darn him all to heck.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3296 on: May 06, 2012, 5:38:12 PM »

Oh, is he a trip!

He knows exactly which buttons to push. Darn him all to heck.

Yep. We give birth to our own demise.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
macaroon

« Reply #3297 on: May 06, 2012, 6:30:34 PM »

Ah, I'm afraid it's not exciting.  You are aware of this product? 

Barely 15 minutes goes by in my house without the following conversation.
"Mom, can we get a snake / lizard / dog / breeding pair of wooly bears?"
"No, dear.  I can barely handle the pets we have."
"But I'll take care of this one!"

We have plenty of animals, but not an excessive amount.  2 cats, 1 large fish tank, 2 small betta tanks, and 1 small parrot.  The parrot was a stray, so he's way more pet than I ever wanted.  The parrot is amazing, but good lord is hu a handful*.

So, sea monkeys, no big deal. 

Coconut #1 (9) wanted to set it up all by herself, because she wanted to "prove" to me that she could do a pet by herself.   Because she wants fire belly toads.   Problem - the Sea Monkeys need an outlet and a surface on which to put them, and the package instructions say they need sunlight.  I told her to "handle it".  It was all...  MOM!  what do I stir this with, and MOM!  Can I put this here?  MOM can I unplug this lamp for the sea monkeys...  And right back at her, "You figure it out, dear.  Remember, you're doing the sea monkeys."

As to why I agreed to the sea monkeys, now that's a story but I'm not sharing that one.

* Regarding the use of hu - it's an $85 DNA test to sex a parrot.  We do not know the bird's sex.

mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #3298 on: May 06, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »

Macaroon, some parrots (like cockatoos) can be sexed by the color of their eyes, and if you have a good avian vet s/he can do so by probing the cloaca. I'll agree that there's not much point to it. If she ever lays an egg you'll know for sure. And, if it's old enough and never does, that should be a clue, too.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
macaroon

« Reply #3299 on: May 07, 2012, 7:23:19 AM »

Macaroon, some parrots (like cockatoos) can be sexed by the color of their eyes, and if you have a good avian vet s/he can do so by probing the cloaca. I'll agree that there's not much point to it. If she ever lays an egg you'll know for sure. And, if it's old enough and never does, that should be a clue, too.

We have a good avian vet, and our parrot cannot be sexed by any method other than DNA.  Behavior-wise, we guess male, but that's not really good enough.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 494
  Print  

Jump to: