• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:28:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Willard wowing them in England  (Read 6724 times)
oldadjunct
Distinguished Senior Member

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 12:46:37 AM »

I am far from being a Mittens fan, but I'm stunned at how badly he's doing. 

The only thing that stuns me is that his wife hasn't yet managed to overshadow him in behaving like an arrogant twit.

Did you miss this?  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/ann-romney_n_1685735.html

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
nebo113

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »

The only thing that stuns me is that his wife hasn't yet managed to overshadow him in behaving like an arrogant twit.

Did you miss this?  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/ann-romney_n_1685735.html

Oh yes, I saw that.  I'm one of "you people."
yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »

Clarifying to explain that i meant, behaving like an arrogant twit overseas.

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
toni52

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »

Jindal to the rescue!  Apparently, Americans don't care about foreign press.  According to Jindal: “No, the reality is, we’re not worried about overseas headlines. We’re worried about voters back here in America,” Jindal said. “I think the focus needs to continue to be on what’s happening here at home. That’s what’s important to voters.”

So, Romney's blunders overseas are meaningless, and perhaps the only reason he's in London is to see Rafalca compete? 
yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »

Jindal to the rescue!  Apparently, Americans don't care about foreign press.  According to Jindal: “No, the reality is, we’re not worried about overseas headlines. We’re worried about voters back here in America,” Jindal said. “I think the focus needs to continue to be on what’s happening here at home. That’s what’s important to voters.”

So, Romney's blunders overseas are meaningless, and perhaps the only reason he's in London is to see Rafalca compete? 

Yeah. Because no Americans worry that a potential leader's priggish behavior could jeopardize foreign relations.  We don't live in a global community or anything.

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
nebo113

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 1:32:57 PM »

Clarifying to explain that i meant, behaving like an arrogant twit overseas.

No offense taken.  I think both feel an extraordinary sense of entitlement.  I live among Obama haters and none of the "you people" around me recognize the dismissiveness of being "you people."  But they so loathe Obama to the point of frothing at the mouth that they're wiling to vote for King Willard and be his peons.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 1:34:23 PM »

"You people" referred to the press. And she's absolutely right in the first four paragraphs of the story. The Mormons I know take their tithing very seriously and are heavily involved in serving the community. Obama and Romney are both Harvard Law graduates and both rich. The tax return thing is a made-up issue. It can be spun badly, with implications for the campaign, but it doesn't really say much else.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 9:29:15 PM »

"You people" referred to the press. And she's absolutely right in the first four paragraphs of the story. The Mormons I know take their tithing very seriously and are heavily involved in serving the community. Obama and Romney are both Harvard Law graduates and both rich. The tax return thing is a made-up issue. It can be spun badly, with implications for the campaign, but it doesn't really say much else.

The tithing is an enormous red herring; no one is questioning the Romney's devotion to their church and  community service in this dispute.  This is not about Mormonism, and I am a bit surprised that you accept that tack. Stipulated:  Romney's are salt of the earth.  So, what's the problem with releasing your tax filings?

Saying  that both Obama and Romney are rich Harvard grads is a little bit like saying Mercury and Jupiter are both planets in the same solar system, don't you think?

I could be wrong, I don't think anyone ever addressed as "you people" felt warm and fuzzy with that phrasing.  How is that not condescending, if not dismissive, regardless of who it is addressed to?

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 6:11:41 AM »

I think the infotainment industry that masquerades as journalism in this country deserves to be treated condescendingly.

The vast majority of people in the USA regard their financial particulars as a private matter. That's why neither Romney nor Obama specify exactly which charitable causes they support with their donations.

Romney's problem is not that he refuses to publicize his tax returns. His problem is that he's not saying "The tax code is filled with loopholes that give certain advantages to certain people. I exploited those loopholes to benefit myself, my family, and my community. But there is a way to structure the tax code that is simpler, fairer, and more effective. Here's how to do it . . ."

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 7:43:49 PM »

I think the infotainment industry that masquerades as journalism in this country deserves to be treated condescendingly.

The vast majority of people in the USA regard their financial particulars as a private matter. That's why neither Romney nor Obama specify exactly which charitable causes they support with their donations.

Romney's problem is not that he refuses to publicize his tax returns. His problem is that he's not saying "The tax code is filled with loopholes that give certain advantages to certain people. I exploited those loopholes to benefit myself, my family, and my community. But there is a way to structure the tax code that is simpler, fairer, and more effective. Here's how to do it . . ."

I suspect a very significant majority of Americans file a 1040EZ or a 1040 with a rather limited number of schedules.  Having said that, by convention reenforced by Mitt's father, a presidential candidate is not like other people.

I am really confused about the battle you are fighting here, Spork.  It seems fairly obvious that Mitt's problem is that he can't just say, "Ok, here it is."  Sure, you and I take our tax advantages, I suspect mine are significantly greater than yours since mine are significantly greater than 90-95% of the American populace, leaving me as a tiny and fragile asteroid orbiting Romney's Jupiter.

I note, for the record, that you did not respond to my "red herring" comment.  Do you really want to dismiss in toto all of American journalism?

As I say, I don't get where you are coming from here.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

minimimi

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »

The train wreck continues in Israel. Sure, his invidious comments about Israeli prosperity and Jerusalem as capital were taken out of their context at a fundraiser, but he doubled down in subsequent interviews.

Really, how is it that Romney hasn't figured out how to outsource the not-saying-and-doing-whatever-you-like-because-you're-used-to-getting-your-way part of the job?
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »

I suspect a very significant majority of Americans file a 1040EZ or a 1040 with a rather limited number of schedules.  Having said that, by convention reenforced by Mitt's father, a presidential candidate is not like other people.

I am really confused about the battle you are fighting here, Spork.  It seems fairly obvious that Mitt's problem is that he can't just say, "Ok, here it is."  Sure, you and I take our tax advantages, I suspect mine are significantly greater than yours since mine are significantly greater than 90-95% of the American populace, leaving me as a tiny and fragile asteroid orbiting Romney's Jupiter.

I note, for the record, that you did not respond to my "red herring" comment.  Do you really want to dismiss in toto all of American journalism?

As I say, I don't get where you are coming from here.

Spork, the issue isn't his taxes (and taxable income level) so much as what those returns would reveal about his activities within Bain during the years in question. Romney is positioning himself as an expert on job creation, claiming that he had no part in all of the jobs that were outsourced by Bain during those years because he was no longer involved. If, in fact, his tax returns confirm that his intimate involvement in the company continued, his claims about his commitment to US job creation will be a very legitimate campaign issue.

None of which is to say that I disagree about the current state of the media. Like our government, it is owned and operated by Big Money.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
nebo113

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 4:54:27 PM »

I think many of "those people" (me for instance) would like to know more about Romney's IRA, so that perhaps we could follow suit.

http://open.salon.com/blog/steve_klingaman/2012/07/25/romneys_100m_ira_gaming_the_system_at_bain
secundem_artem
Stone cold humanist and finally a

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 5:01:09 PM »

The train wreck continues in Israel. Sure, his invidious comments about Israeli prosperity and Jerusalem as capital were taken out of their context at a fundraiser, but he doubled down in subsequent interviews.

Really, how is it that Romney hasn't figured out how to outsource the not-saying-and-doing-whatever-you-like-because-you're-used-to-getting-your-way part of the job?

Mittens is just another financially successful man who thinks he is entirely the architect of his own success.  Somebody needs to introduce him to the very basic concepts of structure and agency.  This is, of course, what Barry tried to do a few weeks ago, but he bungled the job.  Where's a sociologist when you need one?

In my opinion, Secundem_artem is precisely correct. 

I think secundem_artem, rather, has hit the nail on the head.
kaysixteen

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 5:51:05 PM »

Romney is much smarter than GWB or, heaven forfend, Sarah Palin, so what is going on here?  Methinks:

1) Some of this is for domestic consumption in the US, amongst righties, who can hear Mitt say whatever he wants, acting like a tough guy, abroad, and the heck with whether foreigners care for it?  (Consider the remark outing his meeting with the head of MI6-- some Brit paper mentioned that saying this is not akin to saying one just met with David Petraeus, but, of course, really, ahem, it ought to be exactly like this.... the head of MI6 is Petraeus's British counterpart, and Americans do not cotton much to the notion of having a secret agency be so secret that to even acknowledge one met with its head is unacceptable breach of secrecy.  I do not think Romney should have said this in Britain myself, but cannot agree with the notion that he had some obligation to not say that he had met with the guy.)

2) He is more or less so arrogant and out of touch that he just does not care to imagine the consequences of saying things that might be seen as unacceptable or condescending, and he feels the world more or less revolves around him and his missus.  They are perhaps the least likeable major-party pres nominee and wife in recent memory.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: