• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 311
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners' thread  (Read 540671 times)
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1005 on: February 25, 2012, 1:54:34 PM »

A rash guard is a long sleeved shirt made for surfers and swimmers to prevent skin irritation and sun burn.

Yeah, sorry - it's fuller-body spandex than a tank suit. You can get them long or short-sleeved, and you wear it over a sport bra or your regular tank suit when swimming. Since they are form-fitting, you don't have additional drag (it's not like a t-shirt). Here's a picture of one.

Isn't the "rash" it's protecting you from is essentially road rash, which you can get on your stomach from the grippy surface on the deck of the surfboard?  Not chafing from repetitive motion?

For me, with swimming and avoiding chafing, it's all about knowing which of my suits is soft enough for a longer pool swim.  The Speedo Endurance fabric rubs me raw if I swim more than 2K, but the Club Swim cheeeeeepie suits that I pick up for $16 on swimoutlet will never bother me. 

I can't imagine putting on more clothes for a run/bike/swim as I'm so overheated in any clothes. I would run/bike/swim naked it if wouldn't scare the masses because naked isn't as hot as clothed (even in the pool)!

Love your neighbor.
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #1006 on: February 25, 2012, 1:59:12 PM »

A rash guard is a long sleeved shirt made for surfers and swimmers to prevent skin irritation and sun burn.

Yeah, sorry - it's fuller-body spandex than a tank suit. You can get them long or short-sleeved, and you wear it over a sport bra or your regular tank suit when swimming. Since they are form-fitting, you don't have additional drag (it's not like a t-shirt). Here's a picture of one.

Isn't the "rash" it's protecting you from is essentially road rash, which you can get on your stomach from the grippy surface on the deck of the surfboard?  Not chafing from repetitive motion?

For me, with swimming and avoiding chafing, it's all about knowing which of my suits is soft enough for a longer pool swim.  The Speedo Endurance fabric rubs me raw if I swim more than 2K, but the Club Swim cheeeeeepie suits that I pick up for $16 on swimoutlet will never bother me. 

I can't imagine putting on more clothes for a run/bike/swim as I'm so overheated in any clothes. I would run/bike/swim naked it if wouldn't scare the masses because naked isn't as hot as clothed (even in the pool)!

I HATE being hot!!! 
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #1007 on: February 25, 2012, 5:10:26 PM »

We...ell, maybe not biking. But all that other stuff, yeah.

The "rash" protection can be from your board, also sand, debris in water, reefs (if you're around them) and sun, etc. The first rash guards were very tough. Then they went mainstream - I've heard parents like the added sun protection, and now I see both girls and boys wearing them instead of a swim top (girls).

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
macaroon

« Reply #1008 on: February 25, 2012, 7:05:57 PM »

We...ell, maybe not biking. But all that other stuff, yeah.

The "rash" protection can be from your board, also sand, debris in water, reefs (if you're around them) and sun, etc. The first rash guards were very tough. Then they went mainstream - I've heard parents like the added sun protection, and now I see both girls and boys wearing them instead of a swim top (girls).

Aha.  It might be worth a try, octo - who knows?  Maybe the shirtiness would distribute over a larger surface area?

There may be more to it on the children's market, though.  There is a massive shortage of one-piece bathing suits, so I know I've gone shopping and found nothing but bikinis and rash guards.  I JUST went shopping for swimming clothes for the summer for the girls - buying a size up - because now is the only time to get one-piece bathing suits.  I took my 8 year old, and the irony of shopping for swim suits during a snowstorm was NOT lost on her.  Anyhow,  even in late February in a snow storm, they were almost out of one-piece suits. 

Yes, that's right - if you go shopping for children's swim suits in march, bikinis are the only thing available. 

Now, I'm not overly modest myself, but two-piece bathing suits are against the rules at my kids' beloved nominally Christian summer camp.  Plus, they fall off.  Camp might allow a tankini, though.  I couldn't say.  Even those were in short supply today.  (And, no, they don't restock on the swimsuits).
tenured_feminist

« Reply #1009 on: February 26, 2012, 6:29:39 PM »

Where have you been shopping, Macaroon? I've had much better luck finding nice children's one-pieces at sporting goods stores than at clothing stores or department stores. (And I am hoping that it won't be too long before the two big sporting goods stores near me start putting winter running gear on sale!)

Haven't been posting much but have enjoyed hearing about everyone's progress. I've had a tough couple of weeks -- barely able to get out for a run twice a week, and feeling terribly guilty about my piles of work when I do. (That and having to run on the treadmill more often, which doesn't feel like running to me anymore.) I am so looking forward to the return of daylight savings time, and perhaps being able to go running after work now and then. I know very, very well that it's silly to be thinking about spring in this region, but I can't help it!

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
lohai0

« Reply #1010 on: February 26, 2012, 8:00:29 PM »

I way overdid it in Portland. I ran 4 miles because it felt so good to run at sea level. Hopefully tomorrow I will have recovered enough to run again. I did a nice walk yesterday and that helped some.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
macaroon

« Reply #1011 on: February 26, 2012, 9:01:51 PM »

Where have you been shopping, Macaroon? I've had much better luck finding nice children's one-pieces at sporting goods stores than at clothing stores or department stores.

Northwest of you.  But, yes, I've been to sports stores as well. 

Also, you can run with a headlamp!  I run in the dark all the time, with reflectors and a head lamp. 

ab_grp
doing the best imitation of myself as a

« Reply #1012 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »

Week 7 Day 1 is complete.  Each run this week is 25 minutes, sandwiched between two 5-minute walks.  I'm beginning to think that I'm physically strong enough to do this but maybe not mentally.  I get bored! Maybe I should work on the psychological aspects. 

Quote from: bread_pirate_naan
You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1013 on: February 27, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »

Yea ab_grp!

Week 6 day 1 is complete and I didn't have to stop for a potty break. Yea!

Of course, I'm walking three times as long as I'm running still, but this is at least the first run longer than 5K in 1.5 or 2 years.

Love your neighbor.
ab_grp

« Reply #1014 on: February 27, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »

That's wonderful, Octo!

You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #1015 on: February 28, 2012, 3:09:32 PM »

Week 6 day 1 is complete and I didn't have to stop for a potty break. Yea!

Of course, I'm walking three times as long as I'm running still, but this is at least the first run longer than 5K in 1.5 or 2 years.

That's great, octo!  I know it's been rough to get back to this place.

I am reporting in to say that I *will* do a run tonight.  I have no idea where I am.  I think I'll have to check this thread a few pages back.  eeek.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
lohai0

« Reply #1016 on: February 28, 2012, 4:15:45 PM »

I am heading out for week 7 day 1 attempt #2.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
ab_grp

« Reply #1017 on: February 28, 2012, 5:07:14 PM »

I am heading out for week 7 day 1 attempt #2.
Go for it!

You are a genius. 

anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #1018 on: February 28, 2012, 5:10:56 PM »

I think I am out of the running for a while at least. My runners knee (patello-femoral syndrome) isn't getting better and my feet/arches/heels just ache all the time. I am so disappointed I can hardly think about this.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #1019 on: February 28, 2012, 6:35:21 PM »

I'm sorry Anakin. I know how hard it is.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 311
  Print  

Jump to: