• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:03:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PhD Dissertation Database?  (Read 30076 times)
oldfullprof
Ridiculous
Distinguished Senior Member

Representation is not reproduction!

« on: November 07, 2006, 7:47:15 PM »

As I was reading the cell topic just now, there was an ad by Google for the "PhD Dissertation Database," which offered thousands of dissertation pages, many on PDF.

Dang...This is pretty inappropriate to the Chronicle site, I think?

Taste o' the Sixties
adhoc

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 8:05:17 PM »

As I was reading the cell topic just now, there was an ad by Google for the "PhD Dissertation Database," which offered thousands of dissertation pages, many on PDF.

Dang...This is pretty inappropriate to the Chronicle site, I think?

I don't necessarily agree that the ads are ever appropriate but, given that they are there, what is wrong with this particular one?
shamu

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 8:15:03 PM »

Not sure what the original post was trying to accomplish, but if it's just getting a dissertation database, I think DAI is it:
http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/
stanwyck

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 9:56:07 PM »

I *think* the ad in question is this:

PhD Dissertation Database
1000s of pages free PDF downloads
Instant access to paperback & ebook
www.dissertation.com

I'm not sure what's inappropriate about it--that it's cutting into UMI profits?  The catalog mostly seems to comprise M.A. theses, as far as I can see.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »

Ooooops.  Guess I thought it was in order to plagiarize...Maybe not.

Taste o' the Sixties
adhoc

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:47 PM »

Ooooops.  Guess I thought it was in order to plagiarize...Maybe not.

Well, yes, that certainly would be inappropriate; but it appears to be a way to publish one's thesis or dissertation.  And then sit back and relax while the royalties roll in.  ... Yeah, right.
elimba75

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 9:49:42 AM »

I am aware of the fact that this discussion has started years ago. However,  the same question could be asked by PhD students any time, any where. Here is an impressive list of PhD theses|dissertations repositories from around the world: http://bit.ly/IPiY3e . One important thing about this list is that unlike many the old fashioned database of the past, most of these repositories are Open Access (OA). Have a nice reading.
Elimba
seniorscholar

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »

. Here is an impressive list of PhD theses|dissertations repositories from around the world: http://bit.ly/IPiY3e . One important thing about this list is that unlike many the old fashioned database of the past, most of these repositories are Open Access (OA).

Very useful link; thanks. It is, however, useful to note that in some cases, all of the dissertations/theses listed are very recent (i.e., recent enough to have been submitted in pdf). The library at my UK university has just e-mailed asking my permission to scan my dissertation (oops, forgot UK usage) thesis from the 1970s with a form e-mail reporting that they are "just beginning to consider scanning older dissertations and theses."
elimba75

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 2:29:14 PM »

Yes indeed. It is only ten years ago this movement started. However, you may notice in the list suggested above that there is this   repository with pretty old theses too:  "UK - UK and Ireland: Theses (Since 1716)".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: