Cynical with the education system

(1/10) > >>

charlottebro:
..At least over here in Australia.  I'm currently studying at a university training to become a teacher, and at the same time working on the campus as an assistant to student affairs.  Perhaps I'm anti authoritarian, but I hate the way the courses are structured, and how narrow our system is to allow create, free-associating thinking.

The worst thing is watching fellow lecturers strut around in their pretentious intelligentsia fashion telling people how to think and how to learn.  I took the greatest delight reading a collection of some quotes AGAINST education by some of the most accomplished people of all time (Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Bertrand Russell) right here: http://lonerwolf.com/education-quotes/ that I think some of you may find interesting.

yellowtractor:
Quote from: charlottebro on February 11, 2013,  9:21:22 PM

The worst thing is watching fellow lecturers strut around in their pretentious intelligentsia fashion telling people how to think and how to learn.

I know.  We call this teaching, and it's a scourge.  Please get out of this line of work while you still can!

larryc:

I took the greatest delight reading a collection of some quotes AGAINST education by some of the most accomplished people of all time (Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Bertrand Russell) ...

Look, not to be dick-swinging or anything, but most of us here take the greatest delight in reading the actual works of Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Bertrand Russell.

Maybe this gig is not for you. That is fine, and there is no shame in it.

voxprincipalis:

The worst thing is watching fellow lecturers strut around in their pretentious intelligentsia fashion telling people how to think and how to learn.  I took the greatest delight reading a collection of some quotes AGAINST education by some of the most accomplished people of all time (Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Bertrand Russell) right here: http://lonerwolf.com/education-quotes/ that I think some of you may find interesting.

Imma let you finish, but ... wait, who is the most accomplished person of all time?

VP

yellowtractor:
Quote from: voxprincipalis on February 11, 2013,  9:58:49 PM

Imma let you finish, but ... wait, who is the most accomplished person of all time?

VP

Either Pope Sixtus V or Linda Ronstadt, I forget which.

Charlottebro, I'm really, really hoping you find a different career path that will make you happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page