• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sanford Brown Adjunct Instructor position  (Read 11000 times)
masterx

« on: March 15, 2012, 1:56:39 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience instructing at any of the Sanford Brown College/Institute campuses.

I finished my M.S. in Earth Science last May and was interested in becoming an Adjunct Instructor to supplement my income. I applied to the Sanford Brown Institute in Melville, NY as an Adjunct Environmental Science instructor and was recently e-mailed about my interest. After doing some research, I found out that, like many for-profit institutions, SBI in general did not get much praise from former students (they only care about the money, etc.) What I also found interesting was that in the job description it mentioned that I would have to be willing to deal with "at risk" youth. Now I took that as a P.C. way of stating that I would have to deal with trouble-makers at this glorified high school. Also, I was confused as to why they would offer an Environmental Science course at a school that mainly focuses on healthcare-related fields (Ultrasound Tech, Medical Assistant, etc.)

So, any insight from former instructors or professors at SBI or any other for-profit institution would be greatly appreciated. What's the environment like?

Thanks.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 2:19:50 PM »

"At risk" means at the risk of failing or dropping out, so students who may not have planned for, or be well prepared for, post-secondary study.

Most degree programs require some science elective, so maybe environmental studies fits the bill.

For an adjunct gig, I wouldn't try to over think it, just give it a whirl, if you don't like it, don't accept another gig.

hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 6:19:31 PM »

I don't know.  What's your long-term career plan?  If you're looking for TT (or are already on it), this would be a red flag for me.  I try not to hire anyone, including adjuncts, whose only or primary teaching experience is with for-profits and I certainly would not even consider someone for the tenure track with primarily for-profit teaching.

But I tend to hate the for-profits with especial venom, particularly Sanford Brown, ITT Tech, and U of Phoenix.  I'm less bothered by Argosy and Capella for inexplicable reasons.

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 9:45:15 PM »

Sanford Brown's a CEC school, right? I've never heard anything good about the experience of working there.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
adjunctprincipessa

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 9:55:11 PM »

I taught for one semester at a local for-profit institution.  The program was an utter disaster, and did a very poor job of educating students.

However, the reason why I took the job was that they were willing to hire me to teach a course in a field that was highly in demand.  Since I had extensive experience teaching courses in similar fields at more reputable colleges, my cv was greatly strengthened once I had experience teaching in this area, and I was able to get adjunct teaching positions at colleges that I really liked.  For me, it was a really useful experience because it help round out my cv.

However, I don't know that for profit teaching experience alone would carry much weight with nonprofit institutions looking to hire adjuncts.

masterx

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

Thank you for your responses. I'm thinking that I may just not take the position because the whole thing seems a bit shady to me and after what I've read here plus the little that I've found from people that worked for Career Education Corp., it doesn't seem like something that would be worth the headache.
mrs_sunshine

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 4:06:22 PM »

I planned to teach a course at Sanford Brown... I had JUST graduated and was desperate for a job. It was a disaster.

After accepting the position, I was supposed to meet with the department chair a week before classes to receive the textbook, sample syllabus, class roster, log-in, and keys to the classroom. She called at the last minute and rescheduled the meeting to the Friday before classes started.

I went in that Friday but she was out and left a note to just come in early on Monday, two hours before the class was supposed to start. I was frustrated, but figured I could fudge my way through the first day, if needed.

I showed up two hours early and she wasn't there. She went home to "walk her dog". I waited for a bit and then started asking around in an attempt to get the things I need to teach. I found an IT guy to get me logged into the computers, but the user name and password he gave me didn't work. We tried over and over again but I couldn't get onto the computers.

I decided to move on and found someone to let me into my classroom. Then, I found another faculty member in the department who generously gave me a sample of her syllabus, so that I use it as a template.

I found a secretary who managed to find a copy of the textbook (at least she thought it was the right book).

After running around for nearly 1 1/2 hours, trying like heck to get ready to teach, the department chair was still not there! I still didn't have a roster or a way to get onto the computers (did I mention I was supposed to TEACH computers!). I sat in the employee lounge, and considered my options:
~go into the class unprepared, unable to use the computers, no class list, wondering if this lady was ever going to show up or
~go home

I went home.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: