• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are You So Mean?  (Read 31459 times)
bibliothecula
Academic ronin
Distinguished Senior Member

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 4:17:11 PM »

Has anyone made fun of the fact that this thread is wholly misplaced?

I don't think so. I was tempted to do so. Does it mean that only administrators are mean? Originally it was in the interview forum. Probably should've been put in the meet & greet, but if the OP can't be bothered to place a thread properly, they can take what they get.

He complained that understanding that he was on an administrative track was important. So I moved it to the Administrative Track forum. Never let it be said that I do not do what is asked of me.

VP

I love you.

Me too.

I came. I saw. I cited.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 4:22:51 PM »

Has anyone made fun of the fact that this thread is wholly misplaced?

I don't think so. I was tempted to do so. Does it mean that only administrators are mean? Originally it was in the interview forum. Probably should've been put in the meet & greet, but if the OP can't be bothered to place a thread properly, they can take what they get.

He complained that understanding that he was on an administrative track was important. So I moved it to the Administrative Track forum. Never let it be said that I do not do what is asked of me.

VP

Awesome.

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 5:53:10 PM »

Anyway, I appreciate what I have learned here, but since I am but a lowly grad student, I have no useful advice to share.

Sure you do.  I'm certain you could offer useful advice to those applying to grad programs in your field, or to other grad students who are not as advanced as you are.  That's valuable.

Some of the most beloved posters around here, atlchemist, are grad students. They make countless valuable contributions to the fora, and I can't imagine this community without them.
Clearly I am not one of these. In the aforementioned thread, I was called a fool, delusional, and advised to post less frequently. Oh, and I give extremely bad advice and false hope.

You are being hypersensitive.  What I saw and wrote was to stop talking about your job search in ways that supported other people in doing things that don't tend to lead to tenure-track jobs.

How about sharing teaching tips?
What fabulous classroom management techniques do you have?
Do you have any presentation tips that we could use?  
What are your technology skills like?
Can you play word games?
What about sharing your job-seeking experiences on the job-market check-in thread where the point is to be more supportive instead of offering advice?  
What about joining some of the non-academic job-seeking threads?
How about discussing what you might do if you don't get a TT position?
How about helping graduate students who are just starting with things you wish someone had told you when you were starting out?

No one told you to shut up entirely.  We told you to stop posting things that are misleading to people who are already confused and need better guidance.  In one tiny area, your contributions aren't likely to be useful to people right this second (in five years after you have taken an industry job and then gone back to teaching, your story may be useful).   That's not the same as dismissing you as a person, scientist, or teacher.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 5:53:54 PM by polly_mer » Logged

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 6:05:40 PM »

I think we need more boilerplate acronyms, l'AFTDJ.

SBS(H)S (Stop being so (hyper)sensitive)
STYE (Stick to your experience)
BHOD (Banging head on desk)
S/PC (Staple/paperclip)

Etc.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
bcohlan1

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 6:06:56 PM »

I think we need more boilerplate acronyms, l'AFTDJ.

SBS(H)S (Stop being so (hyper)sensitive)
STYE (Stick to your experience)
BHOD (Banging head on desk)
S/PC (Staple/paperclip)

Etc.

UMA (Use Moar Acronyms!)

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
atlchemist

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 7:08:46 PM »

Can you play word games?
Yes, and I rather enjoy them! Not sure I'm becoming beloved by my frequent posts in "keep a word, drop a word" though. :-P
dr_know
Chocolate-loving, red pen-toting

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 7:13:50 PM »

Can you play word games?
Yes, and I rather enjoy them! Not sure I'm becoming beloved by my frequent posts in "keep a word, drop a word" though. :-P

At least you know how to play it. ;-)

It's a real shame I'm too young and too poor to retire...
^Listen to Dr. Know.  She Knows.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 8:30:48 PM »

I love you.

I love you.  Would you be interested in a manage a quatre?

Taste o' the Sixties
profreader

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 8:56:10 PM »

I always wanted to be part of a Humeanities Department. But I'm too nice... well, mostly.
bcohlan1

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 9:28:41 PM »

I love you.

Look, I'm not one to pass on group sex when there are undead midgets, disembodied voices, tiny libraries, and the elderly tenured in the mix. Count me in.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »

I love you.

Can it involve Johnny Depp?

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »

I love you.
Can it involve Johnny Depp?

Oh, why not?

Taste o' the Sixties
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 8:37:49 AM »

Can you play word games?

Well, I rose to prominence on Questions Only and Let Me Kill Your Thread (a thread about nothing much).

I was kicked off the Limericks Thread, though, because apparently I can't do the rhyme right.

To get back to the job search thing, you actually do have a fair chance of getting some job using your chemistry degree in a major metropolitan area.  You're not delusional on that point, even if the goal is eventually academia.  You are, though, probably overly optimistic by only sending out 8 job applications instead of applying for everything for which you are qualified as well as a few things for which you would be a stretch.  I've taught math while having zero graduate math credits and I know people teaching various physical sciences with no degrees in those fields because people were that desperate.  You do have to be proactive in networking and be willing to adjunct for a bit to get your foot in the door, though.  You should also be applying for non-academic positions while you do the search.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
atlchemist

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »

Can you play word games?

Well, I rose to prominence on Questions Only and Let Me Kill Your Thread (a thread about nothing much).

I was kicked off the Limericks Thread, though, because apparently I can't do the rhyme right.

To get back to the job search thing, you actually do have a fair chance of getting some job using your chemistry degree in a major metropolitan area.  You're not delusional on that point, even if the goal is eventually academia.  You are, though, probably overly optimistic by only sending out 8 job applications instead of applying for everything for which you are qualified as well as a few things for which you would be a stretch.  I've taught math while having zero graduate math credits and I know people teaching various physical sciences with no degrees in those fields because people were that desperate.  You do have to be proactive in networking and be willing to adjunct for a bit to get your foot in the door, though.  You should also be applying for non-academic positions while you do the search.
Limericks are hard. I only contribute to that thread occasionally.

I didn't have the emotional stamina to consider a plan B while applying for academic jobs, haha. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do besides teaching, sad as that may be. I guess if I got to March without any interviews, I would have started thinking about something else. (FWIW, I had submitted several applications for adjunct work). But to me, a TT job is not the be-all and end-all of my career. Especially not in my first year on the job market. I would be happy with any teaching job, which is why I applied for all of them in my metro area. Now that I have a job offer in hand for a lectureship and one more interview for a TT position, I am feeling very fortunate that my situation is working out but would never advise someone to follow my same protocol.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

Although I can't speak for all long-term forumites, I get in a mean mood when someone (usually a new poster), asks a question, I offer a response in all good will, then the newbie wants to argue with me.  What's that about?

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,60798.msg2081579.html#msg2081579

I recall a couple of years back when a new poster, who happened to have come from another country, asked about taking a teaching job 20 miles up the interstate, and whether one would actually have to go to the campus everyday, stick around between classes, and so on.  I responded that a 20 mile commute was nothing.  What I (and other forumites) got back was a set of insults telling us that Americans are shallow because we spend all our time in cars and at work.

I also recall at one time that some forumites would respond with the label STA (= serpent's tooth award) to the ungrateful.  Perhaps we should get back to that?

Print  

Jump to: