• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48
  Print  
Author Topic: welcome to the t t, new 2008 cohort  (Read 231771 times)
yumyumdonuts

« Reply #660 on: November 22, 2011, 2:46:27 PM »

Cajun, can you reveal what type of work you do on a part time basis? I've posted about my own pretenure disappointment and I am part of the 2008 tt cohort (delayed clock because I had a baby, had baby because I needed more meaning in my life after a parent died suddenly). I'm reading books loaned from a colleague on alternative careers for PhDs but haven't struck on anything yet.
cajun
Spicy!

« Reply #661 on: November 22, 2011, 5:01:52 PM »

Yumyum, I'm doing English-language editing for ESL authors who want to publish in English-language journals.  I work for an editing company (rather than doing it freelance), and I've been extremely pleased with them.  It's a complete novelty to me to receive thanks and praise (and unsolicited fee upgrades!) for my work.  I really enjoy getting to read manuscripts that I wouldn't normally read (i.e., in my discipline but outside my narrow specialty), and as long as I return my assignments on time, I can do them whenever and wherever I want.  The main downside is that the workload fluctuates some weeks I work at my (self-designated) capacity and other weeks are slower but I don't mind.  In slower weeks, I have more time for research.

I'm happy to answer more questions privately or on the Leaving Academe boards.  This is probably getting off-topic for this thread!

Poo-yi.
marginalia

« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2011, 9:33:45 PM »

Thanks for reviving this thread, Marginalia.  Good luck with the monograph, and I hope you're able to navigate the politics safely.  Do you have a mentor who can guide you?  Honestly, I think going on the market is always a good idea, as long as you can do it discretely.  You don't have to accept an offer ... choice is a good thing.

As you may recall, I was involved in a dispute with my former college.  I am very pleased to report that I resigned from my job with a very healthy severance package.  (It helps to have rock-solid documentation, a good lawyer, and the AAUP on your side.)  I can't share details, and the truth is that you probably wouldn't believe me if I did.  Yes, it was that bad.
Thank you! Thing is, I will have some mobility in the New Subfield, not so much in my original subfield, which is dead, as in one job appears once every three or so years. I'm lucky to have gotten a TT job, and I almost got a top job last spring (came second after someone 10 years my senior) so I feel I could be marketable.

Argh, I am very sorry that you had to go through this crap. And I would believe you. My own issue concerns a single senior colleague who is notorious, but the college does nothing. Some of my stuff is probably as unbelievable as your stuff. I am keeping a paper trail, but I also do not want to start a big confrontation; I love research and want to stay in academia, and I actually very much like my university and my other colleagues, and even the location. I don't know if leaving because of one abusive person is a good idea, but this person is not going away and may try to jeopardize my tenure bid.

I do have a few non-academic options lined up if this happens, but I really would rather stay in academia.

And of course it would be great if you could continue to hang out in the thread!

My new motto: If you want a cookie, bake a cookie.
yumyumdonuts

« Reply #663 on: November 23, 2011, 9:37:08 AM »

Yumyum, I'm doing English-language editing for ESL authors who want to publish in English-language journals.  I work for an editing company (rather than doing it freelance), and I've been extremely pleased with them.  It's a complete novelty to me to receive thanks and praise (and unsolicited fee upgrades!) for my work.  I really enjoy getting to read manuscripts that I wouldn't normally read (i.e., in my discipline but outside my narrow specialty), and as long as I return my assignments on time, I can do them whenever and wherever I want.  The main downside is that the workload fluctuates some weeks I work at my (self-designated) capacity and other weeks are slower but I don't mind.  In slower weeks, I have more time for research.

I'm happy to answer more questions privately or on the Leaving Academe boards.  This is probably getting off-topic for this thread!

Thanks cajun for this information, and for your supportive post on my other thread.
erzuliefreda
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2012, 7:13:19 PM »

How goes it, 4th-year folks? I have to do an annual retention binder for my department and spent today on it. It occurs to me this might be called "scrapbooking for nerds." I am on track for tenure here, and my book is in press. I'm trying to get the energy to start new research, and am making headway on that front. As I was whining on the BW&L page a few weeks ago, though, I am tired. I want to be a research star at a teaching school, where I also have to be a teaching star and happen to be a service mule star. But overall, life is good here.

desmata
still here but mostly "over there".

« Reply #665 on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »

I am at a CC with a five year tenure clock. In reality, if we pass our 4th year review, we essentially have achieved tenure. I am currently working on my cumulative portfolio; this is a summation of the annual reviews plus the outcome of our tenure "project".

The requirements for tenure at this college are extensive compared to other CC's in the region. As difficult as this has been at time, still I am a better academic for it. I have accomplished an incredible amount these past four years. I doubt I would have explored some of these diverse areas without the pressure to fulfill specific aspects for my portfolio. For instance, I presented a special topics seminar at a workshop and now I have been invited to give the same seminar at several local CC's. This opportunity would not have presented itself within the "time served" tenure system more typical for CC's in my state.

If scientists invented the legal system, eye witness testimony would be inadmissible evidence. --Neil deGrasse Tyson
tortugaphd

« Reply #666 on: April 07, 2012, 9:47:50 AM »

How goes it, 4th-year folks? I have to do an annual retention binder for my department and spent today on it. It occurs to me this might be called "scrapbooking for nerds." I am on track for tenure here, and my book is in press. I'm trying to get the energy to start new research, and am making headway on that front. As I was whining on the BW&L page a few weeks ago, though, I am tired. I want to be a research star at a teaching school, where I also have to be a teaching star and happen to be a service mule star. But overall, life is good here.

Here, here!  Glad to read the news of your contentment.  I submitted my "scrapbook" a few weeks ago.  It's all rote busywork, but I understand why busywork needs to exist.  My chair told me that I would essentially be submitting the same thing a year from now in the form of tenure dossier, which won't be that much more work since it's just a revised version of the 4th year renewal materials.  Meh.

And I hear you about the requirements for junior faculty regarding research, teaching, and service.  In my dept., the small number of (female) junior faculty are bearing a disproportionate burden of that.  But, like you, life is good here.  No complaints.

And marginalia, I don't think you have anything to worry about with the senior colleague who you say is "notorious."  Just having that kind of reputation among his/her colleagues will keep him/her in check even if the administration does nothing.  Don't underestimate the power of plain old social ostracism.  We have one toxic person over here, and the dean has actually taken steps to de-fang this person.  Even if this de-fanging hadn't been performed, however, the sheer amount of general dislike for this person would have outweighed anything he/she could have done.

msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #667 on: April 07, 2012, 2:13:23 PM »

Hi, gang -

Well, I was scheduled to go up in the fall--a year early--but instead have jumped ship and accepted another position. I'm moving from an R2 to a SLAC with strong research support, which is very exciting. In my current place, the change from teaching-focused to more research-intensive was recent enough that the more senior faculty have no real research experience at all, which affects everything from the quality of the mentoring and support to the kinds of conversations it's possible to have with colleagues.

It's also been a very strange experience to be evaluated by some of these folks, since all they're doing is counting; in some cases they're not even differentiating between book reviews and peer-reviewed research articles! I got fairly adept at the "scrapbooking" aspects by my second year here, including collecting all of the paper programs for the little campus events where I volunteered so my reviewers could see all the places I was listed as a reader/announcer, a coordinator/advisor, or whatever.

I enjoy doing much of the service stuff, but it's also an awful lot like being back in high school and trying to get onto as many yearbook pages as possible, isn't it?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
tortugaphd

« Reply #668 on: April 07, 2012, 6:04:47 PM »

^Cool!  Good luck with the move this summer and all that comes with settling into a new place!

Have you been hired with tenure at the SLAC?  Or are they giving you a vastly reduced tenure clock?
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #669 on: April 07, 2012, 9:34:50 PM »

Ms_P, congratulations!

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
msparticularity

« Reply #670 on: April 07, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »

No, I haven't been hired in with tenure; they're giving me two years' credit with a possibility that I might go up early if it appears appropriate. And thanks for the good wishes!

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

tortugaphd

« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2012, 4:19:04 PM »

Hello, 2008-ers!  Just a quick check in with everybody as we close out our 4th year.  I thought I'd get us started in taking stock of our happenings during 2011-2012.  It always helps me to step back and see the bigger picture.  I'm making a list of "happy occurrences" and "challenging occurrences" that have transpired this year.

Happy occurrences:
Book just came out
Portion of the second book got accepted in a journal
Star grad student received most prestigious dissertation fellowship at the university
Met some interesting people at conferences

Challenging occurrences:
Applications for outside fellowships were not successful
Heard that course enrollments for 2012-2013 got increased
Took on another service role that will involve lots of busywork

What about everyone else?
msparticularity

« Reply #672 on: April 20, 2012, 6:27:52 PM »

Hey, gang! My big news is that I'm jumping ship at my RU/H and moving to a SLAC. I'm going in with two years' credit toward tenure, where I would have gone up here this fall a year early. Still, it's a big jump upward in terms of quality and research support, and most definitely a better fit for me, so I've decided I'm willing to live with being an assistant prof for a couple of additional years.

I'm also very happy today because my doc student defended successfully this morning!

tortugaphd

« Reply #673 on: April 21, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »

Hey, gang! My big news is that I'm jumping ship at my RU/H and moving to a SLAC. I'm going in with two years' credit toward tenure, where I would have gone up here this fall a year early. Still, it's a big jump upward in terms of quality and research support, and most definitely a better fit for me, so I've decided I'm willing to live with being an assistant prof for a couple of additional years.

I'm also very happy today because my doc student defended successfully this morning!

Congratulations to both you and your student!
hosoi3000

« Reply #674 on: April 30, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »

Hi, everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself (as I've been lurking at the fora for quite a while, but I haven't posted anything until recently).   I'm at a small school, and like everyone here, I'm almost done with my fourth year.  I will be going up for tenure at the beginning of my sixth year.  I just wanted to wish everyone good work in the next couple of years and to hang in there (as we have made it this far!).

Hosoi
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48
  Print  

Jump to: