• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:16:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent help for Assistant Professor at King Faysal University (Al Hasa)  (Read 15093 times)
coucoucbm

« on: April 13, 2012, 12:50:52 AM »

Hello All,

I wanted to ask about this university and its reputation (rank if possible). I was offered a position at the College of Science and I do not know what to expect in terms of salary, allowances...? I know that the basic salary is determined based on the PhD (from which university), years of experience, publications...?
I got my PhD from a reputable french University and has 8 years research experience in academia with publications. is there a formula or way to estimate what would be a fair salary? is it only based on negotiation?
It looks like KFU does not provide an allowance for kids education, it this normal?
Does KFU have a tenure track system?

Is the cost of living allowance still given in KSA? if yes how much is it?

Any help, information is appreciated.

Thanks
eddean

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 9:47:03 PM »

Welcome to the Kingdom. Remember that regardless of any answers you might receive, this is a kingdom so the rules can change at anytime. Good luck getting your passport back if you make anyone unhappy.
coucoucbm

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »

Welcome to the Kingdom. Remember that regardless of any answers you might receive, this is a kingdom so the rules can change at anytime. Good luck getting your passport back if you make anyone unhappy.

Hi eddean,
Can you be a bit more explicit when you say getting the passport back? Does it mean that the employer holds it? can you share any incident you had in this regard?
Your welcoming message is not that reassuring ;0) have you had any bad experience as an expat in KSA, please advice?

Thanks
ab007

Veteran of the Magic Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 5:54:15 AM »

Hello All,

I wanted to ask about this university and its reputation (rank if possible). I was offered a position at the College of Science and I do not know what to expect in terms of salary, allowances...? I know that the basic salary is determined based on the PhD (from which university), years of experience, publications...?
I got my PhD from a reputable french University and has 8 years research experience in academia with publications. is there a formula or way to estimate what would be a fair salary? is it only based on negotiation?
It looks like KFU does not provide an allowance for kids education, it this normal?
Does KFU have a tenure track system?

Is the cost of living allowance still given in KSA? if yes how much is it?

Any help, information is appreciated.

Thanks

As far as I know, KFU provides allowances for children education, itís about SR6000 - 8000 per year per child (max two child).
KSA universities follow a pay scale for Asst/Assoc/Prof, and this will depend on your PhD, academic experience, and most importantly the type of passport you hold.

In general, the living expenses in KSA are cheap compared to UAE.

ab007.
menno

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

I was employed as an ESL instructor in the Prep Year Program at KFU Al-Hasa. My contract was not directly with any faculty, but with an agent to whom the uni had outsourced the PYP. Corruption abounded within the admin and teachers hired by Shabaka Training Establishment. Illegal visas and contracts and whatnot.

A miserable small city with no entertainment other than wandering the malls. In the space of 3 years, I actually spoke with female Saudis less than a dozen times. I won't elaborate further on the cultural and religious restrictions re gender mixing. I suppose you've heard it all before.

Regarding employers "safekeeping" passports, it is pretty well rampant in the Kingdom. Not only academics, but blue-collar migrant workers also. The Ministry of Interior declares it illegal (consistent with UN regulations), but employers who pay much heed are minimal. The Ministry of Labor is also aware of the syndrome, but choose to do nothing. Ditto the Ministry of Higher Ed. It's done to prevent mid-contract runaways. Did I hear you whisper indentured servitude?

Check the inside front cover of your passport. It probably states that "this passport is the property of the Government of [country]" or some such.

I personally don't even hand over my passport to hotel receptionists who "safekeep" it overnight. Photocopy it, yes. As a "security deposit", no.

I release it only to civil servants -- police, immigration official, etc. And in so doing ask for the official's name and title and contact info, and how many days/weeks my passport will be held.

When employers ask to keep my passport for an unreasonably extended time (beyond a frame of time reasonable to process the sponsorship for a work visa), I inform them that the passport is not my personal property and that they'd best by formal document contact my embassy or high commission or consulate for permission to withhold my visa.

At that point they call off their dogs.

I do know of incidents in Saudi Arabia where instructors are advised that a paycheque will not be forthcoming unless the passport is relinquished for the term of the contract.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: